|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shaft Speeds?

Shaft Speeds?

Could someone on this forum list what the ideal swing speed range is for each flex. like regular then stiff then x-stiff. Thank You
    My Bag:
    Driver : Cobra 460 SZ
    5 Wood : Nike Ignite
    Irons: Forged Pro Combo
    Putter: Nike Blue Chip

that seems about right but you've gotta remember that there are no standards when it comes to shaft flex from company to company. For example, a swing speed of 80-90 mph would be a regular flex for company A but a swing speed of 85-95 mph would be a regular flex for company B. You should check the company's website to be sure. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LesIsMore
    there are no standards when it comes to shaft flex from company to company...You should check the company's website to be sure.
    Exactly right, and I'd go a step further to say that once you've narrowed down your shaft choices, actually hitting the prospective club head / shaft combo(s) you're considering is about the only sure-fire way to tell what the performance will be for a particular person.

The manufacturer's specs can certainly help you narrow down your choices, but because everyone's swing speed/style/mechaincs, etc. are somewhat unique, performance varies from person to person. Demo if you can.

So if you are suppose to be swinging a stiff shaft, but have a regular shaft could that cause you to slice the ball?
    My Bag:
    Driver : Cobra 460 SZ
    5 Wood : Nike Ignite
    Irons: Forged Pro Combo
    Putter: Nike Blue Chip

I agree completely with the last post...you launch and attack angles will also play a role in defining which shaft flex will work best for your swing...not to mention the torque.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

To further muddy the issue, swingspeed is only a starting point from which to base shaft flex choices. Tempo is also very important. A smooth swinging 100 mph golfer may get extra distance from an R flex shaft without losing contol, but someone with a quick tempo at 90 mph might do better with an S flex. There are no absolutes, and there is no substitute for demo sessions and (unfortunately) trial and error. An R flex shaft from one manufacturer may be as stiff or stiffer than an S flex from somebody else. Even within the same manufacturer, flexes aren't consistent from model to model, but for any model the relative flexes between R, S, and X should be consistent. It's not easy.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

And, to further complicate matters, the letter on the shaft (R, S, etc.) may not be the actual flex that the shaft plays to. I just recently put Fujikura Vista Pro's in a driver and 3 wood. I was measured for stiff in both. A stiff and regular shaft that the clubmaker had in the store were checked for frequency, and the R was actually stiffer than the S. So it appears there may also be some issue with manufacturing tolerances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Transam4ws6
    So if you are suppose to be swinging a stiff shaft, but have a regular shaft could that cause you to slice the ball?
    Actually, it will tend to cause the exact opposite...too much flex in a shaft will cause the clubface to close before impact, causing a draw, or a hook in severe cases.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Thread Information