|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question RTJ Golf Trail - recommendations?

Calling Bravo, other Alabama residents, and people who have played on the Robert Trent Jones Trail.
    I'm looking to bring a couple foursomes on a golf trip in mid-late March (Sweet 16 weekend) and I'm thinking about hitting up the trail. I've played Huntsville before in March '03 and wasn't that impressed. I did Birmingham this year and thought it was pretty sweet.
    Most of us will be coming from Cincinnati, with at least a couple people flying in from wherever. We don't want to drive much more than 8 hours, but we'd like to play some new courses. It's just going to be Fri - Sunday so we'll stay in one area. That basically leaves...
    Muscle Shoals - might be tough to fly in to
    Silver Lakes - only 27 holes, so I guess we'd need some other courses
    Capitol Hill - getting a little far but not bad
    Grand National - furthest away, but Auburn campus may provide justifying nightlife

Anyone have any experience with these courses? We're pretty much going to be golfing, drinking, and watching B-ball, but nightlife is also a consideration.

Thanks!

Six of us played the 'Northern' end of the trail in May.

We flew into Birmingham in the morning and played 27 at Silver Lakes that day. That night we drove to Huntsville - The following day we were going to play 36 there but was rained out after just 6. We drove to Muscle Shoals and played 'Fightin Joe' that afternoon. We tried to get on Schoolmaster the next day but it was only open for tourneys at the time - so we ended up playing an additional 36 on 'Fightin Joe'. We drove to Birmingham that night and played 36 at 'Oxmoor Valley' the next day.

I enjoyed 'Fightin Joe' the most out of all the courses we played - Oxmoor was a distant second. (some of the group preferred Oxmoor). As far as nightlife - I think Auburn would be your best bet. Most of the sites I was at did not have much to do... Ended up playing poker in the hotel lobbies.

Next year we are going to do a Southern swing - Auburn, Pratville, Greenville and Ross Bridge.

I think the RTJ golf trail was awesome and can't wait to get back. The only problem was driving to a different site each night wore us down - but it was worth it playing a variety of courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Calling Bravo, other Alabama residents, and people who have played on the Robert Trent Jones Trail.
    I'm looking to bring a couple foursomes on a golf trip in mid-late March (Sweet 16 weekend) and I'm thinking about hitting up the trail. I've played Huntsville before in March '03 and wasn't that impressed. I did Birmingham this year and thought it was pretty sweet.
    Most of us will be coming from Cincinnati, with at least a couple people flying in from wherever. We don't want to drive much more than 8 hours, but we'd like to play some new courses. It's just going to be Fri - Sunday so we'll stay in one area. That basically leaves...
    Muscle Shoals - might be tough to fly in to
    Silver Lakes - only 27 holes, so I guess we'd need some other courses
    Capitol Hill - getting a little far but not bad
    Grand National - furthest away, but Auburn campus may provide justifying nightlife

Anyone have any experience with these courses? We're pretty much going to be golfing, drinking, and watching B-ball, but nightlife is also a consideration.

Thanks!
    Birmingham will have the most holes for you to play (and there are many other really nice courses in Bham that you can get on for low $$ - you could easily spend the entire time there and not play the same course twice).

Grand National is probably the best course of the RTJ bunch, but there will be few other courses in the area. And you may be overestimating the "nightlife" in Auburn...

Capitol Hill is very nice too.

If it was me, I'd fly into Bham, stay there for all the days except one, and spend one day down at Grand National playing twice. It's only a 2hr drive to Auburn, so you could easily drive down, play 36 at a great course, then drive back.

Good luck with the trip!

Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards Fightin' Joe at this point. We're not the most wild and crazy guys in the world, but when you get a hall pass for a weekend away from the wife, you've got to at least make the effort. We're going to stay in one place just to avoid the burden of driving all over god's country. Plus, we're only really playing for 2 days (36 holes a day though).

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas2
    Birmingham will have the most holes for you to play (and there are many other really nice courses in Bham that you can get on for low $$ - you could easily spend the entire time there and not play the same course twice).

Grand National is probably the best course of the RTJ bunch, but there will be few other courses in the area. And you may be overestimating the "nightlife" in Auburn...

Capitol Hill is very nice too.

If it was me, I'd fly into Bham, stay there for all the days except one, and spend one day down at Grand National playing twice. It's only a 2hr drive to Auburn, so you could easily drive down, play 36 at a great course, then drive back.

Good luck with the trip!
    True, Bham was quite the trip, but I think we're going to try another location. I've heard from a lot of people that Grand National is the best RTJ course as well.
    Thanks!

Thread Information