|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A Hard Case Of "Hook Face" Aversion

Hello everyone-

I found your forum while searching the net for info about non-offset clubs which set up with the shaft and leading edge in truly square alignment.
    I'm desperately trying to find such equipment because I have no problems to work the ball left, and realised that clubs with a built-in slice tendency would suit my game more than those hook-faces which annoy me more or less, even if I look down the shaft of (so called!) pure blades from Titleist or KZG. They always appear slightly closed to me.

Yes-
    I have a strong grip (but not extreme) and am a speedy swinger. Therefore a club looks hookier to me than to the average player. And yes-
    Longer/stiffer shafts and flatter lies do help. I use Jumbo Grips ever since (prefer them anyway).

But am I the only one whith such a touchy perception of club specs?
    Hopefully not. At least I found the following statement in a previous thread:

"Let's get this straight once and for all, for all the misinformed. The reason players may dislike offset is the closed face angle that is almost always designed into an offset iron. The offset itself has nothing to do with whether a player hooks the ball. There are a couple of offset irons that do not have a closed face (Ping ISI). Conversely, there are a few zero offset irons that do have a closed face (Maxfli revolutions and Henry Griffiths)"

(from member "Omeletpants")

I have a set of Maxfli Black Dots, and any professional (Player or clubmaker) would tell me they are absolutely square and that I'm crazy. I think they are not, but squarer than most. I also have the Titleist 690MB and Wilson Deep Red Tour II blades. Pretty nice as well, but not the real thing either.
    So I would like to ask everyone on the board to post his opinion on wether I should try out a psychiatrist or a certain club you can recommend.
    I especially appreciate any info on Ping Woods with S/F/10/20 hosels, because I could not manage to get a demo club with these configurations, as they are not generally available here in Germany (Btw sorry for my poor english and please don't bore me with pro/contra Nazi statements or stuff like that.)

Many thanks in advance,

Philippe

I too, hate hook-faced drivers and fairway woods, and thankfully manufacturers are now making more models that set up square, or in some cases even a little open. However, I can't think of many irons that look hook-faced to me. I wonder if it's more a matter of lie angle that causes that perception for you - that is, an iron that is too upright (toe up), could have a tendency to turn in and look a bit hooked.

If it helps, woods that set up square or open are the Big Bertha II Pro Series (probably the closest to actually looking a bit open, like an old persimmon wood), the 983E sets up square, and the Taylor Made R510 TP sets up really square (however, every club varies and is a little different so you really have to look at them).

Another additional thought - do you think it might be the height of the toe of the iron that creates the look of being hooked? That is, a higher toe might cause it to look turned in compared to a lower toe - some of the newer PINGS have lower toe heights and maybe that's why they don't look quite so hook faced.

By the way, I was in Heidelberg a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful town, very friendly people, and GREAT food (and beer!). Got to see Hockenheim, plus driving on the autobahn was a blast - was doing 195 kph on the way back to the airport in Frankfurt, in the rain (not too smart, but fun nonetheless!!)

Hi Andyville,

glad you liked it in Germany.
    I agree with you in almost every point:
    Heidelberg is a german tourist classic, but for those who like it fast, the Autobahn is the chief attraction. I take out my father's BMW 7 for a ride whenever he forgets to hide the keys.
    195 km/h in the rain is quite alot, even with a heavy car. I feel safer taking it to 275 in perfect conditions!
    Next month I'll come to Colorado for a combined Jeep Tour/Golf Orgy from Arrowhead/Inverness GC to Redlands Mesa. Hopefully I will not get to many speeding tickets in America...
    can you also give me some advice on what is the best way to deal with your policemen?

Thanks anyhow for your thoughts on how to treat my Hook face problem.
    Yes- it definetly has to do with the lie angle. The club does not only look, but will indeed turn in if the toe is up. Therefore I only have clubs with flatter lies than standard and longer shafts in my bag- since I noticed the positive effect last year.

I already tested the Titleist 983E and Taylor Made 510TP. I can get along with them, but working it to the right is higly difficult and risky for me with these drivers. There is no statement from Titleist concerning the face angle, while Taylor made says their club sets up square. I can prove it does not.
    I never expected some clubs for me from Callaway, but checked their website for info on the BigBertha model you recommended- and was surprised to see that the spec chart states it's available 1 degree open!
    Also they have an open faced ERC Fusion, and the pics I found on other sites truly look promising. I will take both models to the range as soon as they are available here.

Thanks for your suggestions, and to anyone who knows other woods or irons which might turn me on:

Please post!

PS: Has someone played John Dalys "RS Blades" from Dunlop already?

Back to Index

Wait-

I just noticed that I mixed up the english terminology and didn't read your post carefully.
    I disagree with you:
    In my opinion, the hook tendency is reduced if the toe tends to be more up than down!
    When I used standard shafts and lie angles, I hooked much more because I'm tall, and the clubface turned in.
    With the long shafts and flat lies, I hit it much straighter...

Thread Information