|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Is Titleist 983K worth it?

Looking for some honest opinions on the 983K. I have read plenty that swear it will add 30 yards etc. I took a demo to the range the other day. I currently have a 975D and was told by the saleman that there is no comparison between the two. At the range, it seemed that I gained maybe 5-10 yards (maybe 285-290 vs 275-285 with the 975D) with the 983K, and mishits were a touch more forgiving, but not terribly so. The head is definately bigger than I am used to, but it would jsut take some time to adjust I am sure. My questions would be these. Would the range balls play any role. I imagine they are a "dead" ball, would the spring effect of the 983K be more evident with a newer ball (I play Pro V1's and V1x's). What role might the different shafts play. The 983K I hit had a Speeder, while my 975D has a Graffaloy Pro-Lite 60. I am going to play a round with it today to get a feel for the course. It just seems as though there wasn't enough difference to justify the price. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Probably not worth the money and trouble

I think most club manufacturers have taken a page out of the automobile marketing bible. Introduce something new very frequently to keep consumers buying new products. This "hook" is particularly strong in the golf equipment field where players are constantly trying to "buy a game".

It is not far fetched to think that a new iteration of club (983 vs 975) will enable you to hit the ball slightly farther, but I doubt that $400 is worth it.

You have a reasonable point about the range balls. I am almost certain that you will not get the yardage out of a beat up range ball that you get with a Pro V1x. The solution to this is to hit both clubs repeatedly at the range at the same time. The balls and weather conditions will be identical and you will be able to make an accurate comparison.

If you get the new club let us know if you were happy you spent the $$...

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I did hit both clubs at the range in the same session. I obviously did not measure each shot, but to my eye it seemed that I was getting about 5-7 yards more out of the 983K. So maybe my real question is for a physics person. Would the "dead" range ball diminish the effect the 983 might have over the 975. If I were to hit brand new pro v1's, would the effect of the 983 be greater and therefore i may see 10-15 yards extra? My theory being if the club hits a dead ball five yards further (to 280) would it hit a "live" ball more than 5 yard further (say if I was hitting 300). Maybe this is over analyzing, but short of using the club over 8 or 9 rounds to see if there is really a difference while on a course, I can't justify a 400 dollar investment for 5-7 yards.

Cory, the effect that the condition of the range balls would have on your comparison results could be really varied. I know I've found in the past that the results I "thought" I was getting on the range didn't necessarily translate to that that I received on the course. If you have the chance to take a demo out on the course and compare with ProV's, that's the obvious desirable way, but unless you can get a demo from your pro or shop, that's kinda tough. Just for what it's worth, I've played the 975D, 975J, and the 983E and 983K, and here's what I noticed. The 975D, while the smallest head was SO solid feeling, and had a great trajectory (8.5 degree with ProLite 35S). The 975J also was solid, maybe not quite as much so, and hit the ball a bit higher, almost ballooning at times (8.5 with ProForce Gold 65S). Good hits were about the same length as the D. I bought a 983E 8.5 w/Speeder when they first came out. On a pure hit, it was fabulous - probably the longest of the bunch, and high but flat trajectory. However, slight misses typically turned into REALLY bad shots - much worse than misses with a D or J. So, I sold it and played a MacGregor VFoil 350 most of last summer (great driver). Then at the end of last year I found a used 983K (9.5 w/ProLite 35S). I have had no luck with it at all. I'm wilder with it than any of the others, and actually I think it's shorter than rest (maybe the extra degree of loft). Plus, it doesn't feel at all solid. It just seems like that really wide head is harder to control - maybe it's just me, because a lot of folks really like the K - but it hasn't worked for me. One of the guys in my group plays a 975JVS 9.5 w/ProForce Gold 65S - I've hit it a few times and it feels great and flies a LONG way. The ball comes off the face hotter than any driver I've hit. I think if it was an 8.5 it might be one I'd want more than any of the others. The key I think is finding the right shaft as well - one that fits your tempo and strength - the ProForce Gold 65 and ProLite 35 seem to be the best I've found day in an day out, for me. Hope this helps a little bit. I guess in summary, I'm saying I don't think the K is worth it, but it probably depends on trying it and seeing how it works for you. Good luck!

I was in a similar position. I currently play a 975J and was thinking about getting a 983K. I compared the 2 side by side at the range and didn't really notice a great increase in distance with the 983K. I was actually wilder with the K than the J and the J has a better feel to it (maybe because I'm used to it but I don't know.). I decided to stick with the J because I didn't see enough of a difference to drop the $400 for the 983K.

It sounds like you're getting pretty good results with the 975D. If it was me, I'd be hesitant to change something that works. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the honest replies Andy and Alex, I appreciate the honesty. I did take it out to the course yesterday. While I did manage to hit one about 360 (par 5, straight downwind about 25 MPH) I didn't hit any shots that I wouldn't have hit with my 975D on any other hole. I think there is some merit to bad shots being even worse. I hit one about 150 yards offline, resulting in a triple bogey (I was 2 under at the time, which isn't usual so deep in a round). My buddy who is a ass. pro (I always call him an ass pro, we get a kick out of it) plays a 975J, he hit both and didn't notice too much difference either, although he went from a 975D to a 975J and noticed a difference. So I don't think I can justify a 400 price tag for little to no difference. I might take a look at ebay and see if I can't pick up a 975J or 975J-VS for cheap. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Yep, I'd go for the JVS - I think there a discernable difference in the hotness of the face between the J and the JVS - and they're pretty cheap on ebay - just be sure to ask about the length and swingweight (anything under 45" will probably tend to swingweight on the light side and not feel as solid)....

Thread Information