|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Range Routine

Range Routine

How much rest ought one to be taking in between shots on the range, in between clubs etc.?

I'm thinking I'm going way too fast as I can burn 150 balls in an hour.

I hate resting, but the result is that by the end my shots start falling apart more often as I fatigue.

Is there a bright side to that in terms of golf fitness?: maybe I'm building golf swing endurance?

Anyway, fisrt post out of the way....

There is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    How much rest ought one to be taking in between shots on the range, in between clubs etc.?

I hate resting, but the result is that by the end my shots start falling apart more often as I fatigue.

Is there a bright side to that in terms of golf fitness?: maybe I'm building golf swing endurance?

no set time limit on how much time should be spent between shots on the range. It's what feels right to you.

The only good thing about your rapid fire machine gun approach to hitting balls is that the range makes more money. HItting on the range should mimic your on course swing as much as possible. You're definitely not "practicing". You're beating balls with no real purpose except to be able to say you hit balls and lots of them. Each shot should have a purpose, a goal. Well if you're actually trying to get better that is.

Have a set plan on what you are trying to range, or your time would probably be better spent on the Chipping and putting green. Take time to think about the shot afterwards and whether or not you accomplished the task for that shot. If you goal is just work on things like swing path and minor techniques, I've found it helpful to hit at the range as though I were on the course. Pick a course you will play next, grab a bucket of balls warm up a little, then hit as though you are on the first tee and play each shot with the obsticles from that course based on the shot you just took. You will find that you still evaluate each shot for whether you accomplished the path, placement and shot that you wanted, you alternate clubs after each shot, you may even learn something about course management, and whether you are playing the course correctly. If you take a set number of balls, see how far you make it through the course, you will know if you are hitting well or not. If the course is a par 72, take 36 of the balls and see how far you make it through the course, if you are a mid to high handicap and make it through the course, you did pretty well.

I personally try to visualize how I played each hole and then go to the Chipping and Putting green to practice the shots based on how I missed.

I usually only hit a bucket of 50 then hit the greens. 50 balls the way I mentioned will last me a good 30-45 minutes.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 12-06-2005 at 06:39 AM.

A 80 ball bucket last me just over an hour. Maybe 1:10...

Interesting thing I learned to do before I play a round:
    I putt first
    Hit balls for about 30 minutes
    **Hit the shape shot and the club I will use on the first tee for at least 4 - 6 swings
    Putt for another moment
    Go to the first tee
    Cheers,
    Jay

My routine...

I do a similar routine to those mentioned. I hit a few warmup shots with a mid iron. Then I imagine the first tee at the next course I will play (pick any course you know well). I determine features on the range that help map out the imagined fairway, select my target, and make my drive. Based on the quality of that drive, I imagine the next shot. Usually, there is a flag on the range that is an appropriate distance (50, 100, 150, 200) and I just go for that. I continue this for all eighteen holes.

After that, I hit the remaining balls with whichever club(s) need work down to the last six balls. I take the last six balls to the chipping area and make 12 chip shots from each of 30, 40, and 50 yards (50 is about the best I can get and my weakest shot). Sometimes I put my towel on the green where I want the shot to land.

Finally, I head over to the practice green where I do a combination of drills to a set goal. An example would be "hit 4-footers until I make ten in a row" or "2-putt a 60 footer three times in a row".

Keep in mind that I started in June and for the first few months I just tried to make solid contact with the ball, not caring much about accuracy. Now I hit the range once per week with accuracy as the goal.

HTH,
    -Greg

I should probably explain a bit more: On the range if i hit a couple bad shots in a row, I'll back off. Its when I hit bunches of good shots that I start machine gunning. and like I said, when I start hitting bad shots: then I back off. So its like a wave function. And the majority of my shots end up being quite pleasant...

That said, I definitely agree that I would benefit from slowing down my entire game. My swing mechanics are actually pretty solid, I have been told: but these days im a twilight golfer and often my main priority ends up being getting in as many holes as possible---rather than taking my time and making the holes I play quality ones. It sort of reflects itself on the range: I get this quantity mentality: I hit plenty of good shots on the range but because my time these days (law school) is kind of limited I want to squeeze in as many shots as I can in what time I have. And if I'm hitting good shots and feel like I want to immediately reload, I just do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Law School Kills Golf

I am in a similar predicament. I thought working made golf tough but now that I'm working part time and in law school my game has gone to hell. Last summer I was playing a ton and getting pretty good. Let's just say my game isn't as good anymore.

As for the range, sometimes I do the play the shots on the course thing. Sometimes I hit a set amount and type of shots with my irons trying different things with an alignment aid and a plan. Sometimes I hit 150 balls in a half hour because it is fun. If you like it but want to get better, mix it up and let yourself bang out a less than meaningful bucket once in a while. Speaking from a similar place, I imagine you deserve the stress relief.
    C.B.
    "golf teaches humility"
    [COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I should probably explain a bit more: On the range if i hit a couple bad shots in a row, I'll back off. Its when I hit bunches of good shots that I start machine gunning. and like I said, when I start hitting bad shots: then I back off. So its like a wave function. And the majority of my shots end up being quite pleasant...

That said, I definitely agree that I would benefit from slowing down my entire game. My swing mechanics are actually pretty solid, I have been told: but these days im a twilight golfer and often my main priority ends up being getting in as many holes as possible---rather than taking my time and making the holes I play quality ones. It sort of reflects itself on the range: I get this quantity mentality: I hit plenty of good shots on the range but because my time these days (law school) is kind of limited I want to squeeze in as many shots as I can in what time I have. And if I'm hitting good shots and feel like I want to immediately reload, I just do it.

Thanks for the advice.
    What I like to do to slow down on the range is aim for the dude picking up the balls. It also makes you learn to hit a variety of shots like knockdowns, fades and draws. Then out on the course, I imagine the pin is ball getter, take a deep breath, and fire for the pin.
    Either that or crank drivers Happy Gilmour style.
    Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Then out on the course, I imagine the pin is ball getter, take a deep breath, and fire for the pin.
    This helps me on the course several beers into a terrible round. I am convinced that the pin and green are moving aim for where it will be when the ball lands

Damn, 150 balls an hour.

What's the rush?

If I get a jumbo bucket of about 175 I usually plan on being at the range for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. When I do this I'll usually hit my odd number irons, pitching wedge, and sand wedge along with my 3 wood and driver. The next time I'll hit my gap wedge, even number irons, 5 wood and driver. I'll usually divy the buck up so I have 24 balls per club (24 x 7 = 168). Thats usually more than enough to work on anything I need or want to with a particular club. If I'm not hitting well I slow things down in terms of time between swings and step away for a minute to think about what I'm doing. Even if I'm hitting the ball well I'll take a break between switching clubs. After two or three clubs I'll take longer breaks just to chill out.

After hitting my wedges irons and woods I'll spend 30 to 45 minutes putting.

During the off season or if I don't feel like hitting jumbo buckets there are days where I'll just take a small bucket of balls and work on hitting out of sand traps, pitching and chipping.

If you are gettting tired or fatigued while hitting 150 ballls either work on your cardiovascular conditioning or hit the gym. I usually don't feel tired until AFTER I've finished hitting balls.

At least 5 minutes inbetween balls. That should give you enough time to view the video and set the camera back in front of your toes.

No seriously. You need to allow enough time for you to process the feedback. If the shot was bad, what caused it? Was it poor body mechanics? Was it rushing the preshot or not fully committing to the shot?

About 95 percent of the amateurs (including myself back in the earlier days) on the practice range dump all their balls into the feeding tray. I prefer to keep mine in the bucket so I can pick the ball out by hand or with my club. The time involved allows me to process the feedback in my mind instead of rapid firing the balls out onto the range.

I also try to keep the same preshot routine ball after ball as I normally do on the golf course. That means getting behind the ball, choose a target line, then addressing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ce_me_golf
    If you are gettting tired or fatigued while hitting 150 ballls either work on your cardiovascular conditioning or hit the gym. I usually don't feel tired until AFTER I've finished hitting balls.
    You may not feel physically tired, but I'd be astonished if your concentration during those last 50 balls was anywhere near the 1st 100.

I certainly find I'm mentally tired after a long range session.

Quote Originally Posted by garcia is god
    You may not feel physically tired, but I'd be astonished if your concentration during those last 50 balls was anywhere near the 1st 100.

I certainly find I'm mentally tired after a long range session.

To each their own!

Thread Information