|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Opinions on Grafalloy Blue and Aldila NV65 Shafts?

If you've tried either of these shafts, I'd be interested to hear what results you've experienced. I installed a Grafalloy Blue R-flex shaft in a Mizuno 300S II 315cc driver instead of the stock Mizuno shaft. I typically play S-flex but the club repair guy showed me a Grafalloy chart that indicated that the Blue's R-flex is closer to a normal S, and the S is closer to a normal X. Well, I haven't been at all impressed with the results - the club has no snap to it, it's 15 yds shorter than before, and the feel is plain dead. Haven't tried the NV65 shaft yet, but I'm hearing lots of good things.

I have a Taylor Made R510 TP driver that has the Fuji 757 Speeder shaft, which is very low torque. It plays very stiff, but still feels pretty good, however, while I hit that driver straighter than any driver ever, my really good hits are shorter than really good hits with lots of other drivers. Trajectory is fine, so that's not the problem. I hate to take that shaft out since it's so expensive, and it looks pretty cool too, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried that head with the NV65 shaft. If so, I'd like to hear what happened...

Thanks...

I installed a Blue shaft, stiff flex in my Great Big Bertha II, and I love it.

When I first started using it, I noticed right away that it was both stiffer than the Pro Series Stiff shaft that was installed by Callaway (which isn't saying much...I find all Callaway's shafts different between models, even if the shaft is labelled "stiff") but at the same time more accurate. It took about a bucket at the range to figure out that a little more headspeed generates a huge amount of distance. Basically, you can swing really hard at it and not have to worry about ballooning one off to the right because of the low torque. It just goes straight, everytime.

Looking at my logs for this year, I'm averaging 306 off the tee using this setup, where I was near 270 with the stock shaft last year.

I will say tho, that the Blue shaft is significantly stiffer than the OEM shaft, and you really notice it. I like high, long, accurate drives and the Blue delivers. I'm using a 8.5* head and I am more than happy with the height I'm getting with my drives.

I don't have any experience with the other shaft you mentioned, but as for the Grafalloy, you really can't lose in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

rockford35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're generating enough headspeed to make that shaft work for you. I think with the torque as low as it is on that shaft, it takes probably 105-115 mph headspeed to make it work. Since a really good drive for me is in the 270 range, I think it's probably just too stiff and too low torque to be a good match. It is a darned good-looking shaft, I'll give it that!! With that dark blue Mizuno head, it makes a great looking club, even though it doesn't work for me!! Thanks...

go for the NV. it's better than anyone can make it sound. I have one in my driver (Launcher 400) and plan on puttin gone in my Cally SH III+ 3-wood.

The blue is the closest to steel that I have ever hit.

I have the Blue in my driver and Blue Prolaunce in my 3 wood. I was looking for a stiff drivers with low torque to control my hook. I love the Blue's. I also tried the NV and it snapped left at the Cleveland demo day. Hope this helps!

Greg

Thread Information