|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Video of my swing

hey guys i finally got around to videotaping my swing
    Please check out my swing
    and give me some advice and drills
    I usually come around 6-8 degrees inside
    http://media.putfile.com/golf-swing-1
    http://media.putfile.com/golf-swing-2

oh yea for those guys that was asking about my simulator. I took a couple of pictures of my basement too
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34318442537.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34318435264.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34318421640.jpg&s=x11

After watching it a couple times, it seems as if you're coming too far outside on your downswing. Training ads like the PathPro can fix this problem. Another problem is that it looks like you're not getting as much rotation in your shoulders as you should be. A good drill is to hold cross your arms on your shoulders and put a club between. Do your swing but don't stop turnng until the club is completely parallel to your feet. Sorta hard to understand.

First, it is clear that you're worried about shanking it b/c you appear to have the ball lined up on the toe of the club. Don't do that. (Maybe it's just the angle of the video, but I don't think so.)

Second, if you stop your backswing when the shaft reaches parallel to the ground (so, about 1/4 into the swing, around waist-high), the clubhead should be out in front of your body, not behind it. Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like it might be waaay behind you. This is a sure-fire way to start shanking it.

Good luck!

Swing Videos

I was unable to load the videos, but I got a view of your basement. Interesting. Looks like you have an addiction, just like myself...
    [B][COLOR=Navy]BackNine29[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    First, it is clear that you're worried about shanking it b/c you appear to have the ball lined up on the toe of the club. Don't do that. (Maybe it's just the angle of the video, but I don't think so.)

Second, if you stop your backswing when the shaft reaches parallel to the ground (so, about 1/4 into the swing, around waist-high), the clubhead should be out in front of your body, not behind it. Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like it might be waaay behind you. This is a sure-fire way to start shanking it.

Good luck!
    (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap) That may be the first productive thing you've ever posted on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by BackNine29
    I was unable to load the videos, but I got a view of your basement. Interesting. Looks like you have an addiction, just like myself...
    Yea my dad is a golf fanatic, the weird thing is we have all these toys and we even live on a golf course but i still suck ( cant consistantly shoot in the 80s) and my dad is only a 10 handicap golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by dychen85
    Yea my dad is a golf fanatic, the weird thing is we have all these toys and we even live on a golf course but i still suck ( cant consistantly shoot in the 80s) and my dad is only a 10 handicap golfer.
    Half of the golf battle is mental. Your saying that your game sucks only feeds a negative view. And compared to what? If you shoot in the 80's you are actually pretty good. You just want to get better. Believe that. Much earlier in my life as a high school freshman, I shot 100 in a high school state league championship tournament. I vowed never to do that again. I would not accept that. I practice every day over the next year and at the next state league championship, I shot 72 and won the darn thing. Believe in yourself, no matter what others say or think. ;)
    [B][COLOR=Navy]BackNine29[/COLOR][/B]

you're taking the club away too much on the inside (too flat). and therefore on the downswing you are "throwing the club over the top" and thus striking it from the outside.

try and actually take the club away more upright (less flat).

a good drill to do is to put an umbrella 3 feet behind you on the line of your toes. when you take the club back you shouldn't hit the brolly or you're swinging too flat.

hope this has helped!

Really hard to see a lot of detail and a frontal view would help too.

What stood out to me even before you took the club back is it appears as though you have a really strong right hand (turned under the club).

Grip changes can be the hardest change... it is uncomfortable.
    Cheers,
    Jay

Is there a way to take stills from a quick time film?
    Id really like to be able to reply to these questions with pictures.

The thing that struck me most is how flat your swing is you take it way on the inside. The umbrella drill mentioned is a good way to work on this. Another thing to look at is how quickly you turn your hips, they start to turn to the right before you arms and shoulders make a move this is forcing you on the inside, I like to feel resistance in my legs to my torsos turn until the club shaft is parallel to the ground.
    Because you’re flat on the way back you have to take your arms up and away from your body at the top to get the club parallel to the ground. This little move of the arms is difficult to repeat consistently and is introducing inconsistency into your ball striking.
    I thought you’re down swing and general rhythm and tempo looked pretty good.
    As with anything if you really want it fixed seek the advice of a Pro

Stop the video where you want and try "Print Screen" button. Then paste into your favorite photo editing program.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cheers,
    Jay

the problem is when i try to take the club straight up i tend to think that i have a chicken wing and my right elbow sticks up.

If this was my swing I was viewing, I would like to restrict hip rotation to no more than 45 degrees on the backswing. I would also like to keep my lower back straight to allow easier rotation around the spine througout the entire swing, while keeping angle constant.

You appear to be sliding your hips back and toward the intended target, forcing you to be very active with your hands on the transition to the downswing. Hence, the strong grip to avoid slicing. I'd like to see the chest dominate the rotation on the downswing, not the arms and hands.

Pay attention to this particular tour swing: http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/80517/1/5007005

His swing is much more compact and in control because of solid fundamentals. Notice his spine angle is still the same well after impact. That means there are no sliding of the hips.

And then Scott McCarron: http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/481376/1/19611278

He utilizes his big chest turn AND his hips to allow his arms and hands fully release through the impact -- not just the hips.

your upper body needs to stay STILL!
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

hey do i actually have an inside swing? since i come from way way inside to inside?
    the simulator says i average around 6-8 degrees inside.

Quote Originally Posted by dychen85
    hey do i actually have an inside swing? since i come from way way inside to inside?
    the simulator says i average around 6-8 degrees inside.
    It's difficult to tell from the videos, but it looks like you really are way inside on the backwing, and marginally less inside on the downswing. If you stop the video halfway through your backswing, the club really does look to be off-plane a pretty good bit.

Another drill you can try - at that point in your backswing where the butt of the club is pointing down at the ground (so about 3/4 into your backswing), the club should be pointing right along your target line (i.e. if you drew a line on the ground from your target to your ball, and extended that line back behind the ball, it should point there). From the video, it looks like your club would point way outside that line (i.e. would point to the ground farther away from you than it should).

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Thread Information