|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Let's get real here

Guys- just read this interesting review and couldn't help but laugh. I went to Callaway today and got fitted for a 454 results were great and better than the FT3. Happy about that because it it much cheaper. 112 club head speed 1500-1800 rpm with a 15-15.8 degree launch angle equalled about 290-310 yards when I hit it perfect. I read this ReviewIand couldn't jelp but laugh.
    just purchased a bb 454 and put a accuflex assasin shaft in it because i found the stock shaft was crap!I consistantly drive the ball over 300 with every driver i have!I have a swing speed of 120mph and have Ping g2 Nike ignite and cleveland launcher drivers!i like all f these alot but found the ping out of these to be the best farthest and most forgiving until i bought this Bb 454 with the accuflex shaft!man i am driving an average of 350 yards and am straight as an arrow!its amazing!ball just rockets off the face!I do suggest changing the shaft if you want one of these cuz stock callaway shafts suck!im sure a prolaunch shaft would do wonders too![/FONT]
    What do you guys think?

Ah, the mighty power of wishful thinking, coupled with the anonymity of the internet......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

But I thought Callaway called it the 454 because anyone could hit it 454 yards...
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

LOL this must be the same guy who hits a 60* lob wedge from a160 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by cabell4484
    just purchased a bb 454 and put a accuflex assasin shaft in it because i found the stock shaft was crap!I consistantly drive the ball over 300 with every driver i have!I have a swing speed of 120mph and have Ping g2 Nike ignite and cleveland launcher drivers!i like all f these alot but found the ping out of these to be the best farthest and most forgiving until i bought this Bb 454 with the accuflex shaft!man i am driving an average of 350 yards and am straight as an arrow!its amazing!ball just rockets off the face!I do suggest changing the shaft if you want one of these cuz stock callaway shafts suck!im sure a prolaunch shaft would do wonders too![/FONT]
    What do you guys think?
    We can all DREAM can't we?

I wonder if anyone reads that review and says, "Wow, I'm going to try this club. THAT guy said he hit it 350 yards!"
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    I wonder if anyone reads that review and says, "Wow, I'm going to try this club. THAT guy said he hit it 350 yards!"

Hey, leave me alone...

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    The funny thing is that some guy will read that review and because that guy says he can hit it 350 yards the poor chump reading the review will go out and buy it. I'll tell you this, I just got a job working for callaway, and I spend a lot of time out there on the range and I have only seen one guy consistantly hit the ball over 300 and he was a guy on the euro tour, I can't remember his name but I will find out who he is and ask him all his secrets so we can all hit it 350 yards !!!!!!

crap shafts

My local club builder/ club repairman says that most stock shafts in drivers are CRAP.
    He put my old Callaway Big Bertha II on his frequency monitor and vibrated the head.
    The head is supposed to vibrator up and down, but in this case, it circled around and around.
    This proved my shaft was junk; after replacing the shaft with a Graf. Pro Launch Blue shaft and retested, the head vibrated up and down like it's supposed to do.
    A good shaft will allow you to hit more fairways because of lower torque.
    Of course, that's assuming you have the correct flex.

After watching guys at a local ReMax long drive qualifier I'm going to say averaging 350 is nearly, if not totally, impossible. Unless of course he forgot to tell us the shaft he put in the Callaway is 65 inches long.

First of all, how does vibrating up and down or around determine a shaft is crap? Second, how much money do you think a clubmaker would make if all he does is build knockoff clubs? Manufacturers spend lots of money on research to find a shaft that will fit most of the general public. They are not there to design clubs for the hardcore golfers that has to have a certain shaft for their specific swing. If they wanted to put a Graf Pro Launch in every club they make, they can because they can contract with a shaft manufacturer to provide those shafts at a very low cost. Do you really think that there is that much difference in manufacturing cost between a stock shaft or "premium" after market shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by mlact
    My local club builder/ club repairman says that most stock shafts in drivers are CRAP.
    He put my old Callaway Big Bertha II on his frequency monitor and vibrated the head.
    The head is supposed to vibrator up and down, but in this case, it circled around and around.
    This proved my shaft was junk; after replacing the shaft with a Graf. Pro Launch Blue shaft and retested, the head vibrated up and down like it's supposed to do.
    A good shaft will allow you to hit more fairways because of lower torque.
    Of course, that's assuming you have the correct flex.

Callaway Shafts/LONG Drive

It has been my experience ( not talking in generalities here) that I hit the ball more consistantly with an aftermarket shaft. I can still hit draws fades whatever with a stock shaft, they aren't crap. It's just like stated before, they aren't for everybody. It's true that companies spend a lot of money on developing shafts for the general/average golfer. I personally want a heavier shaft, it fits my swing. That is why I swing a Fujikura VistaPro 70. I have it in my MP-001, BBTitanium, and 454. As far as the long drive contest goes, they weren't averaging anything near 350, and a lot of them were pushing the ball right. I honestly average about 280 yards with roll. Sure at the range I can swing out of my shoes and drive one 310, but come on, I'm not going to do that on the course or I'll probably make a lot of snowmen.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf
    First of all, how does vibrating up and down or around determine a shaft is crap? Second, how much money do you think a clubmaker would make if all he does is build knockoff clubs? Manufacturers spend lots of money on research to find a shaft that will fit most of the general public. They are not there to design clubs for the hardcore golfers that has to have a certain shaft for their specific swing. If they wanted to put a Graf Pro Launch in every club they make, they can because they can contract with a shaft manufacturer to provide those shafts at a very low cost. Do you really think that there is that much difference in manufacturing cost between a stock shaft or "premium" after market shaft?
    What mlac is decribing here (badly) is putting the club on a vise and putting up a frequency meter to get the read on the club's cycle per minute or cpm. The vibrating up & down part is called "spining" (not spinning but like the spine of your back), which is a process clubmakers use to lineup the spine of the shaft such that the kick on it is always square to the target. You can spine any shaft, including a factory shaft and it really doesn't reflect on whether the quality is good or poor.

The benefits of spining is not open and shut. Some people swear by it, others say that it's benefits are very minor at best.

low torque, more fairways? there are so many things wrong with that statement, it's not even worth getting started. The guy sounds like an idiot.
    Use caution in opening the overhead bin. Items may have shifted during flight.

If the shaft is supposed to be vibrating to and fro in one plane, but it's wildly oscillating in multiple planes, it suggests it would be harder to control that shaft, and it may be a floppy noodle.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    If the shaft is supposed to be vibrating to and fro in one plane, but it's wildly oscillating in multiple planes, it suggests it would be harder to control that shaft, and it may be a floppy noodle.
    Ahhh, your handle and quote is very descriptive of the type of posts you make. j/k or maybe not.

Ahhh, your handle and quote is very descriptive of the type of posts you make. j/k or maybe not.
    I don't think he was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The Clubfitter at Orange County National works for Mitchell Golf and he has a driver made specifically for Tiger Woods with an AJ Tech shaft in it. Mr Mitchell was at the range when they brought the driver to tiger for him to hit it. He hit 5 balls with it and each one went dead straight into the back net, which they said was around 315 yards. He handed them the driver and said he didn't like it cause it was too light. The AJ Tech guys didn't have any use for the driver so they just gave it to Mr. Mitchell. My clubfitter vibrated it over the cpm machine and it basically started in an oval path, never once went side to side, and at one point was going straight up and down, which is supposed to be terrible. I wouldn't put a whole lot of thought into the spining unless it makes you uncomfortable over the ball.
    "You ever been on a shrimp boat?"
    "No, but I've been on a real big boat."

Thread Information