|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Irons Question...

Today I play Callaway Big Bertha '04 irons. I only started playing golf 3 years ago and have gotten fairly good fairly quickly (6.8 index). I have been tossing around the idea of getting new irons, more specifically switching from cavity back to blades. My question is what do you think? I haven't pulled the trigger because I like to hit a straight golf ball and although I can, don't try to work it right or left. Are there any other advantages that I am missing with blades other than workability? Thanks

Apart from workability you'd get more feedback and there would be a steeper punishment / reward curve for good / bad shots or simply put a lesser margin of error. What I hear though is that the reward on a well hit shot is well worth the trouble. And there is also a theory running that we become lax with CBs while blades keep us on out toes and thus, are a must for game development. (I believe the propounder of this one is 'Maveric') But somehow I don't buy it.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

The two best players in my weekend group (both single digit indexers) both play Callaways. It sounds like you're doing great as it is. Unless you are really determined to work the ball, I'd be reluctant to go straight from Callaway Big Berthas to blades. You might want to do a transition to a set with a thinner sole and less offset, but that still retains some extra forgiveness of the cavity back design. Remember, NOT ALL PGA PROS PLAY BLADES. MANY PLAY CAVITY BACKS, and many also use a hybrid club or two. Don't get pushed into doing something just because of social pressure. Demo, demo, and demo. If you think less forgiving clubs will help your game, then by all means do it. All golf equipment decisions involve an element of compromise. You get something, you give up something. Find out what works for you.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thank you that is very good advice

Your decision . I have an experience very similar to yours and it cost me 4 strokes on my index in three months. I'm back to my cb's now and slowly improving. Hey it's worth a try if you can afford new clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by samsdad
    Today I play Callaway Big Bertha '04 irons. I only started playing golf 3 years ago and have gotten fairly good fairly quickly (6.8 index). I have been tossing around the idea of getting new irons, more specifically switching from cavity back to blades. My question is what do you think? I haven't pulled the trigger because I like to hit a straight golf ball and although I can, don't try to work it right or left. Are there any other advantages that I am missing with blades other than workability? Thanks
    I think blades are excellent, excellent for practicing. A decent set of KZG's, MacGregors or even and old set of Apex's are very good practice clubs.

I personally don't believe in them for playing though. I've played some of the best blades money can buy, tailor made for me and my swing, and the fact is they were harder to score with on the course. They are less forgiving....and unless your bad swings are still pretty good swings than I don't recommend them.

They really are excellent practice clubs though. The feedback is.....like FEEDBACK! My Pings have ZERO feedback unless I blade it or something else just as ugly. If your 1/2" off center with a blade you can tell. And when you hit it pure...they make you feel like a Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdwithca
    I think blades are excellent, excellent for practicing. A decent set of KZG's, MacGregors or even and old set of Apex's are very good practice clubs.

I personally don't believe in them for playing though. I've played some of the best blades money can buy, tailor made for me and my swing, and the fact is they were harder to score with on the course. They are less forgiving....and unless your bad swings are still pretty good swings than I don't recommend them.

They really are excellent practice clubs though. The feedback is.....like FEEDBACK! My Pings have ZERO feedback unless I blade it or something else just as ugly. If your 1/2" off center with a blade you can tell. And when you hit it pure...they make you feel like a Pro!
    I would tend to disagree that they are only good for practice, and this is just my own belief. I used to play with blades, old blades and i still have them. THe size of the 5i is roughly the same size as...i dont know but its small. I have no problem hitting that any better or worse than my Hogan CB 5i. I am by no means great or even really consistent, my scoring hasn't changed all that much since switching, if anything it may be a little worse.
    The thing to watch for though is switching to a club that just doesn't suit you, blade or CB. Test, test and then test some more. Its fun to shop for new clubs, just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to adjust to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1013
    I would tend to disagree that they are only good for practice, and this is just my own belief. I used to play with blades, old blades and i still have them. THe size of the 5i is roughly the same size as...i dont know but its small. I have no problem hitting that any better or worse than my Hogan CB 5i. I am by no means great or even really consistent, my scoring hasn't changed all that much since switching, if anything it may be a little worse.
    The thing to watch for though is switching to a club that just doesn't suit you, blade or CB. Test, test and then test some more. Its fun to shop for new clubs, just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to adjust to them.
    Great point...Thank you

Thread Information