|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

golf instructional books/videos

i mentioned this in another thread, but after starting out in golf with an old spalding set last summer, i was presented with a new set of nike nds irons and an ignite driver for christmas...i was only able to practice and play a few times this past summer, but the new clubs will definitely inspire me to get out on the range and the courses more often...

with that said, i'm still a beginner, and i want something that will help me progress further in the form of books and/or videos...taking lessons would be great, but they're not an option right now...my brother gave me tiger's book how i play golf and it was great, but i think that was for someone a little more advanced than i am....i really want to get simple basics down first...so what's out there?

i've heard many great reviews on harvey penick's little red book, should i pick that up first? are there others you can recommend? also, books are great, but are there videos out there also that help me out? i seem to learn better when watching something as opposed to listening or reading...i've been watching the golf channel, and there are a lot of great shows there that teach viewers on different aspects of golf, but i want something that i can just watch over and over again so i can memorize everything...

thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    i mentioned this in another thread, but after starting out in golf with an old spalding set last summer, i was presented with a new set of nike nds irons and an ignite driver for christmas...i was only able to practice and play a few times this past summer, but the new clubs will definitely inspire me to get out on the range and the courses more often...

with that said, i'm still a beginner, and i want something that will help me progress further in the form of books and/or videos...taking lessons would be great, but they're not an option right now...my brother gave me tiger's book how i play golf and it was great, but i think that was for someone a little more advanced than i am....i really want to get simple basics down first...so what's out there?

i've heard many great reviews on harvey penick's little red book, should i pick that up first? are there others you can recommend? also, books are great, but are there videos out there also that help me out? i seem to learn better when watching something as opposed to listening or reading...i've been watching the golf channel, and there are a lot of great shows there that teach viewers on different aspects of golf, but i want something that i can just watch over and over again so i can memorize everything...

thanks for any help
    You have several options: You can sign up for the Video Vault Membership at The Golf Channel's website for 29.99 per year and watch all the instructional series from David Pelz
    s short game series to Academy Live with various golf instructors.

Secondly, buy the book The Plane Truth by Jim Hardy and maybe The Five Lessons by Ben Hogan (don't get the David Leadbetter version). I recommend reading the Jim Hardy book first.

While books and videos are great they lack one essential ingredient....feedback. It's very easy to pick up bad habits if you don't know that what you are trying to do is actually what the book/video is trying to teach. Also books and videos can't tell you what, for your physiology, your swing should actually be for you.

Therefore...get some real true to life hands on lessons. I'd suggest signing up for a series of lessons. You usually get a deal on them and the instructor(if they're any good at all) will help you build a swing that suits you best. A book or video can't possibly do that.

For beginning, Based on my experience

1) Learn the basics and fundamentals from lessons

after lessons, these are the ones I have purchased and would recommend.
    Ben Hogans - Five Fundamentals
    Pelz - Short game bible.
    Heard the Putting Bible is good, but I don't care to mess with my putting
    I found that Tour Tempo helped me with my tempo
    Golf Channel is invaluable.

and a website that I have used more than all of these combined.
    http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline...rivatelessons/

Books I've found helpful:

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book
    Hogan's Five Fundamentals
    How To Play Your Best Golf All The Time - Tommy Armour
    A Round Of Golf With Tommy Armour
    Dave Pelz Short Game Bible
    Jack Nicklaus - Golf My Way

Here's a real bargain for a set of 5 double-sided instructional DVDs - only $10.79, shipping included:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BHV044814
    Last edited by Cubfanbob; 12-28-2005 at 08:48 AM.

I like Jim McLean’s 8 step swing video. As discussed earlier in the thread, everyone has a different approach to swinging. Jim discusses acceptable positions; coins it the “corridor of success”. He also discusses things to avoid, referred to as “death moves”. I like that he does not try to force “one swing fits all”. His discussions are useful for both beginner and advanced player. I’ll refer back to the video constantly when I am working on swing changes.

Unhappy Lessons!

The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one critical unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all your errors.

Good golf books

Hiya

Don't just concentrate on the full swing stuff. Pay some attention to the short game too - such as the Dave Pelz Putting Bible, and Short Game Bible - you will make the most substantial gains in your golf scores (lower handicap) by sharpening up on your short game. In a round of golf, approximately 40% (or even more) of your strokes will come on the green alone - if you're a good putter you WILL save strokes. It's nice to drive the ball 300+ yards straight down the pipe, but if you can't sink a 3, 4, or 6 foot putt to make birdie or save par, your stroke count is gonna go way up! Some food for thought

Regards,

Bert

Thread Information