|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Adjusting loft and lie on irons

Am interested in your feedback on this issue.WHen I purchased my previous clubs, Taylormade Rac LT2s, I had them fitted, and they adjusted the lie to 1.5 degrees flat.
    This felt right on for the contact I had with these clubs on the ball. However, I noticed the trajectory was higher than usual with these clubs (despite them being LT - low trajectories).

I was told that when you flatten lie, you should correspondingly adjust loft - a flatter lie generating a more open loft.

WHen I purchased my Mizuno MP60s, I had them adjusted 1 degree flat, and loft closed 0.5 degree. Iam gaining the lost distance (due to customizing) and have more satisfying trajectory.

Does this seem accurate? Is there a standard ratio between how much you should adjust loft when adjusting lie?

Tks for feedback. Happy New Year - wishing all that read this and answer this good golfing for 2006! It's starting off poorly for me in France, about 35 degrees and raining....
    Last edited by philfrance; 01-01-2006 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philfrance
    Am interested in your feedback on this issue.WHen I purchased my previous clubs, Taylormade Rac LT2s, I had them fitted, and they adjusted the lie to 1.5 degrees flat.
    This felt right on for the contact I had with these clubs on the ball. However, I noticed the trajectory was higher than usual with these clubs (despite them being LT - low trajectories).

I was told that when you flatten lie, you should correspondingly adjust loft - a flatter lie generating a more open loft.

WHen I purchased my Mizuno MP60s, I had them adjusted 1 degree flat, and loft closed 0.5 degree. Iam gaining the lost distance (due to customizing) and have more satisfying trajectory.

Does this seem accurate? Is there a standard ratio between how much you should adjust loft when adjusting lie?

Tks for feedback. Happy New Year - wishing all that read this and answer this good golfing for 2006! It's starting off poorly for me in France, about 35 degrees and raining....

I dont know a certain ratio, however what you have said seems to be quite credible, and understandable. Hell you think you got it bad, it minus 25 and icy outside!!! ill be off to the outdoor hockey rink soon.
    play on,

Steepening or flattening the loft will affect the bounce angle, but I'm not sure changing the lie angle would necessarily affect the loft. If someone is an expert on this, please chime in.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Lightbulb

Rac LT is casting iron. Is it bendable?

Quote Originally Posted by dodosa
    Rac LT is casting iron. Is it bendable?
    Yes they are bendable within reasonable limits - i watched them do it at the shop.

Cast irons can be bent a degree or two. Forged can be bent up to 3-4 degrees, because the metal is softer.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Just a couple thoughts on Lie adjusting...

Only have it done by the pro shop where you bought the clubs as the warranty is voided anytime you make any adjustments.

Remember, that especially in cast clubs, the result is a weaker club.

Not all cast clubs can be bent, some alloys cannot be bent, however they will break!

A lot of problems with Lie can be fixed by getting the correct length club.

Thread Information