|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Drivers

Drivers

hey
    well anyways i was looking to buy a new driver and i was wondering if anyone has any reviews on the taylormade r7 or the nike ignite 410 and the callaway 454 if anyways has anything about theses could you please tell me as much as you know about them
    thanks im out
    John

i have been hitting the R7 TP for a year now, and am changing to the new R7 425TP when it will be available for lefties.

the R7 is an extraordinary club - quite forgiving ( but less than the R5), but very high performance. The screws on the back are an absolute gimmick, as far as their adjustability. you will probably leave it neutral, or adjust height of ball flight to meet your swing - you wouldn't want to change it to a fade or a draw, as the influence is real, and there are no courses where you must hit only fades or draws.

the tp version has a higher center of gravity, which results in more penetrating trajectory, and the ball is very hot off the face of the club - i love the trajectory ( maybe it's just the tp which is less forgiving than the regular r7) - but in no means is it difficult to play.

The screws on the back position weight right aroung the impavt zone, and when you're in that sweet spot zone, you really feel the weight right smack behind the ball which is the benefit of this club.

I have mineshafted with a diamana 83, which is not the best for my swing speed. i had a previous 510TP with a fuzikura six (ultra light 50 gram) which was better for me.

The tp provides much more pleasant feedback than the regular R7.

As for distance, it is long, as long aas other long drivers. the only driver i have hit which was extra long was the srixon XXIO ( non conforming european version) which consistently provided a huge 15 to 20 yards more than every driver I hit), but it was non conforming and had a harsh metallic sound and feel to it.

other than that, the r7 tp looks great, doesn't look like a beetle on a stick, the headcover on the TP is the magnetic one ( cool and good looking).

I haven't hit the Nike, but a friend whom i play with (4 handicap), bought it and kept it for 2 months - he thought the feel was very pleasant, but that it had no gun, especially when seeing the R7 TP ( though there was not much difference in distance, it just felt like it wasn't releasing as well). his had a grafalloy blue.

I hit the callaway once as a rental in Dubai. I have something against callaway in general ( marketing policy...) and have boycotted their products for years. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. the club was forgiving, provided good distance, but it felt a little blunt ( it was a stock shaft) - but all in all a good club ( but i wouldn' qualify it as excellent) - I have recently switched from ProV1 balls to Callaway tour black.

demo everything you can. if you are under 15 handicap, try to get a hand on the R7 TP - you will be amazed by the feel, the sensation of the ball coming of the face, and the pleasant trajectory..... it is forgiving ( a good day I hit every fairway, the bad days may miss two), but not as much as the standard lot of forgiving drivers.

also - the R7 TP is very easy to work with a light fade or draw. anything more than light does get you into trouble, because the impact of the ball on the face tends to move to the side of the sweet spot, and the wieght gearing effect generates more effect than desired......

PS - if you are a lefty too like i am ( as your name seems to indicate), you're not going to getto demo very many clubs.... you will be able to demo a stock R7, a callaway, a nike, but none of the premium versions..... the story of my life......
    Last edited by philfrance; 01-04-2006 at 02:36 AM.

hey- well before i start i thank you for that long reply. As i am a lefty just as you i understand when i go into stores there isnt much selection of clubs to demo. You said if i was under a 15 handi-cap the tp is good to try well im a 9 which i kinda have in my name but i dont think others realize it. anyways i will be sure to try the taylormade r7tp.. just buy looking at a club i can kinda get the feeling if i liek it or not and looking at the r7tp and r7 i like the looks.
    As for the nike ignite i dont really like it as much iv hit it b4 but i find it doesnt have the nice feel of other drivers.
    As i thank you again for your reply and i hope that i luck out and find some good taylormade driver for a cheap price

Well, i can help you out here i think. The BB 454 is one LONG driver!! The face, is very large and responsive. it really feels HOT. it is also really forgiving, but i think it maybe slightly "GAME IMPROVEMENT?" The stock callaway shaft is good for slowish swings. Anything over 100mph , and i i think you should consider an upgrade. i had the 454 for about three months and for a while hooked it. i think it may have a slightly closed face? But if you want a verry long driver, without having a "PERFECT" swing. Go for this BIG BOY! SO ALL IN ALL LONG AND FORGIVING

hope it works out

TOM
    "1 PUTTS PREFFERED!"

hey- well thank you for your reply and i have heard the same thing from a lot of people its is a very long driver. i will be sure to demo it and different shafts with it. im just wondering have you heard anything about the g5. i like that driver aswell but im not quiute sure about it. i havent heard any about it and id rather buy something i have heard good things about. anyways thanks alot im out
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lefty9
    hey- well thank you for your reply and i have heard the same thing from a lot of people its is a very long driver. i will be sure to demo it and different shafts with it. im just wondering have you heard anything about the g5. i like that driver aswell but im not quiute sure about it. i havent heard any about it and id rather buy something i have heard good things about. anyways thanks alot im out
    John
    I've tried the G5 and really didn't like it.

It is a good club for an intermediate player - forgiving, reasonably long, but HIGH trajectory, no roll, little control. If you're a 9, don't even think about it.

At that level of play, your schoices should be a R7 TP or a Titleist - both are long and have aggressive trajectory for more satisfaction.

hey- thansk alot for your input towards the g5 i dont really like it that much either. I am going to try out the r7 tp and im pretty sure im going to purchase it if it all works out i love the look of it and i heard the best from it. as for the adjustible weights im not concerned about them. i think they are a gimic. but thank you
    im out
    John

Thread Information