|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What hand grip style do you use?

I've been playing golf off and on for a total of 4-5 years over the past 25 year span.

My game has been one of a leisure golfer, hacking away, slice here / draw there, one drive sky high, one right down the middle at a great trajectory. Very inconsistent (woods and irons about same).

I've been trying to work on my swing and step up my practice efforts. I strive to be more consistent, and know my game will be that much more fun (Today's score was a 98, with a LOT of room for improvement). I know lessons will be in my near future.

Here's the question:
    I've been using a 10 finger (baseball) grip, and wondering if changing to an overlap may help in consistency?

Are any of the grips considered standard to start with? I am willing to step back and rework my swing based on a better grip.

Thx
    Regor

i played 10 finger my first year and a half of golfing, then i went to an interlock grip. ive played it the last year and a half since i was a 19 hdcp down to where i am now

the interlock grip really helped me, i dont know about you.
    play on,
    Last edited by 19handicap; 01-06-2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: nvm

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    the interlock grip really helped me, i dont know about you.
    How did it help you? Consistency / distance /?

Quote Originally Posted by Regor
    I've been playing golf off and on for a total of 4-5 years over the past 25 year span.

My game has been one of a leisure golfer, hacking away, slice here / draw there, one drive sky high, one right down the middle at a great trajectory. Very inconsistent (woods and irons about same).

I've been trying to work on my swing and step up my practice efforts. I strive to be more consistent, and know my game will be that much more fun (Today's score was a 98, with a LOT of room for improvement). I know lessons will be in my near future.

Here's the question:
    I've been using a 10 finger (baseball) grip, and wondering if changing to an overlap may help in consistency?

Are any of the grips considered standard to start with? I am willing to step back and rework my swing based on a better grip.

Thx
    Regor

Interlock here...easier to cock your wrists and keep your arms, wrists, and hands in sync...just a better option for a better golf swing

I go interlock as well...feels like I get more power into the unloading of the wrists that way...don't have to think about my hands moving on the grip.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

I personally find the interlocking grip terribly uncomfortable. I use the overlapping grip, myself, with my right little finger resting between my left index and middle fingers. But, I have long fingers. When I used the interlocking grip, I tended to choke the club, and my wrists would lock up, causing me to slice just about every club in my bag. Since I switched to the overlapping, my grip on the club just feels more comfortable. On the other hand, with my putter, I use the cross-hand style (right hand on top, left on bottom).

Quote Originally Posted by samsdad
    Interlock here...easier to cock your wrists and keep your arms, wrists, and hands in sync...just a better option for a better golf swing
    wat i was about to say!
    play on,

I use a 10 finger grip tried to change but i couldnt
    Nike SQ 9.5
    Nike T-60 13 degree
    Nickent 3dx 20 degree hybrid
    TM Rac os2 4-pw
    52,56,60 cg 11
    Odyssey white steel #2

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzpatrick
    I personally find the interlocking grip terribly uncomfortable. I use the overlapping grip, myself, with my right little finger resting between my left index and middle fingers. But, I have long fingers. When I used the interlocking grip, I tended to choke the club, and my wrists would lock up, causing me to slice just about every club in my bag. Since I switched to the overlapping, my grip on the club just feels more comfortable. On the other hand, with my putter, I use the cross-hand style (right hand on top, left on bottom).
    It's funny that you say that, as the main reason I prefer interlocking is because the over-lap tends to leave my club-faces open too much (and I also have long fingers, but I have medium grips on my clubs). With the interlocking grip I feel like I have more room to snap my wrists.

On the putter, I interlock my right index and left pinkies (lefty), but I extend my left index finger down the left side of the putter grip, which helps limit any unwanted wrist activity in the stroke.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

I have interlocked since i started playing. That what my father taught me.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I used to use a baseball grip, but changed a few years ago to the interlocking grip. It is easier to use the hands as a unit, easier to cock the wrists, and I've gained distance and accuracy as a result.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Overlap... for me, interlock is fine too but I really suggest you get rid of the baseball grip.

Why? It's just WAY too easy to turn your hands over and deliver a tremendous hook anytime you try to hit a firm shot. Try to protect against it and you hit a slice or something else inconsistent. Baseball allows your right hand to assume control over everything involved with striking the ball in golf, that's bad.

Interlocking or overlapping combines the hands into a consistent single machine allowing you to better whack the ball. Takes about a month to get used to it if you adopt and practice and forget about baseball grips forever~
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

i agree with previous post - overlap or interlock are fine - you must drop the baseball grip.

the other two allow the hands to interact together simultaneously so that neither dominates the other. pros tend to teach the overlap more than the interlock ( used to be the other wsay around).

i've used all three (abandoned the baseball quickly), and prefer overlap, but think i wouldn't mind switching back if i had to. - as a matter of fact, i might consider it....

Grip, stance, posture, and many many other adjustments come into play once you get a repeating powerful motion through the ball. I think alot of instructors, especially in years past, teach golf backwards. Any grip and any posture is fine in the beginning. Until such time as you get a powerful release. Watch Ernie and learn to "cradle" the club down and through. It is just amazing how long you can hold that cradle and still rip a high draw. It seems to the mind and body that there is no way you can still make any ball contact, and then wwwoooosssshhhhh, the best, most powerful, shot of your life. Not an effortless swing (that can be a big cast), but effortless POWER (even your short swings are powerful, casters need a long swing to get any length at all) is what should be taught first...... IMO. Then you can refine a grip, a posture, a setup, clubs, shafts, etc.

Unless I'm ripping with a delayed powerful release, I can't really even begin to judge the difference between grips, club heads, shaft types and flexes. But, when I have a powerful release going with no hint at all of even the slightest casting action... truly the complete opposite of a cast... then I can really feel the difference between clubs, swing weights, shaft flexes, etc. etc.

If you're comfortable with a 10 finger grip, I say stay with it, and focus your attention on how to make a powerful "motion" through the ball. Not a whimpy cast, or even a hard heaving cast. And, remember that an effort to square the club face is why everyone went from hitting a great feeling long drive down the middle of the driving range the first time they ever hit a golf ball, to quickly becoming a weak caster. Just my thinking for whatever it is worth.
    Joe

TaylorMade R7 Quad TP 9.5* w/ Speeder
    Mizuno MP-32 Irons w/ S-300s

Wow, lots of great advice!, and surpirsing how many are using (in order based on replies)
    1) Interlocking
    2) Overlap
    3) 10 finger

With my inconsistent play, I went to the range last week and tried the overlap grip (instead of 10 finger). I was hitting more consistent, with a very noticible slice with every hit. This is now telling me that I have (most likely) an outside/in swing, and I have some work ahead of me to get my swing on track.

What I was doing with my 10 finger grip was making my right hand grip strong to compensate for my bad swing. The only problem with that is, if you don't make it the same strong position each and every time, I am always going to be inconsistent with my hits (and actually still have a bad technical swing).

So, off to the range I go, see if I can correct my swing, maybe talk to a pro.

Regor

The 10 finger, the interlocking and overlap are all considered standard grips. The interlocking and overlapping being the most used by better golfers.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    The 10 finger, the interlocking and overlap are all considered standard grips. The interlocking and overlapping being the most used by better golfers.
    that is almost exactly what has been said in this whole post in two short sentences !! ;) lol
    play on,

Thread Information