|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Opinions on forged irons

I am in the market to purchase a new/used set of forged irons and my golf partner highly recommends buying a Japanese set over the standard Mizuno, Titleist, etc brands. He mentioned that most of the Japanese forging was superior to the forging done for the domestic brands. He also mentioned that Nakashima NP-1 irons are a great set and are forged by a company called Muira. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm not an expert on forging, but I believe most of it is done in China. I can't remember the last time I saw a head that didn't say made in China. As for the NAK's, they are pretty but boy are they pricey!
    [COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Tahoma][I]I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was![/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

I would highly reccomend Mizunos and also McGregor Forgings. Having played both I would give the edge to the Mizunos being Grain Flow Forged. The Mizuno MX23s are a particularly good and forgiving forging. If you want a blade design then the MP32 and MP60s are also excellent.

If you are a really low handicap then Titleist forged blades (690mb ?) also feel great when struck well but are not as forgiving.

As with all clubs it is vital that you find a set you like and get them fitted, being forged they should be able to be bent pretty easily by your pro.

Hope this helps.

Smile forged irons

i have tried a few forged irons of late - ben hogan, callaway, taylor made and titleist.
    the best ones (for me) ended up being from titleist - a brand i never had much time for.
    the model that i tried was the 735cm's - they were awesome particularly 3 iron to 7 iron - in my humble opinion, as a single figure player,the iron is as pure as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mvobmg
    I would highly reccomend Mizunos and also McGregor Forgings. Having played both I would give the edge to the Mizunos being Grain Flow Forged. The Mizuno MX23s are a particularly good and forgiving forging. If you want a blade design then the MP32 and MP60s are also excellent.

If you are a really low handicap then Titleist forged blades (690mb ?) also feel great when struck well but are not as forgiving.

As with all clubs it is vital that you find a set you like and get them fitted, being forged they should be able to be bent pretty easily by your pro.

Hope this helps.
    agree 100% with this post - forged clubs are the best ( personal opinion) - agree with the comments on clubs - MP60s, MP33s for blades - don't care particularly for TItleist 690MB ( which I have) - as for the Nak clubs, don't know about them, but keep in mind that most others don't either, so if you expect to trade them in one day, you won't have much lusk unless you're in Japan. consider this option only if you are a very good golfer who would get the benefit from these specific clubs rather than another set of very good clubs.....

Miuras aren't that well known in the US, but they have some of the best forgings out there. Mizunos are also superb.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Have Mizunos myself, can't say I've hit anything that feels better, although Titleist would come a close second. Think Mizunos are easier to hit and more forgiving, hence why I play with them &pretty sure they can't be beaten for feel. Just my 2 cents.

Noley.

Quote Originally Posted by Noley
    Have Mizunos myself, can't say I've hit anything that feels better, although Titleist would come a close second. Think Mizunos are easier to hit and more forgiving, hence why I play with them &pretty sure they can't be beaten for feel. Just my 2 cents.

Noley.
    although i have only hit 2 sets of mizuno irons (32,60) i really like the feel of them and i think they are superior to any other forged club, although do like the w/s pi5's.
    play on,

Thread Information