|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Golf Fever

Golf Fever

What do you do when there is at least six feet of snow on the ground? Nothing, there is nothing to do. I've been dying to go golfing for the longest time. Its like my favorite thing to do. Now I dont have it. I tried filling in that gap with Fantasy golf, Tiger Wood 2006, and even watching golf (even I can get bored of this). Nothing works. What do you do when you cant golf?

I haven't swung a club since the Sunday after Thanksgiving due to snow. This evening I am even stooping so low as to play on a Golf Simulator, just to be able to swing my clubs. I will be going to Orlando in Feb, hopefully I am not to far out of tune by that point. I will enjoy just being on a course, but it would be great to still play respectable on a golf vacation.

So where should I play tonight? Hawaii, California, Colorado (not a chance), Georgia, or maybe Bay Hill, in preperation for Orlando??? I'll just be certain to drink alot so that when my draw plays like a push~fade, I will at least feel like the fairway is down the left tree line. For those who do not have a simulator close by, you have my sympathy and understanding. There is always Tiger Woods 2006. I miss the old Links games where I could download my local courses and feel right at home.

Actually I will be done finishing my basement this winter, and come summer I am finishing under my deck (2nd story deck), I added to my plans today for a covered platform for possible use in the winter with a possible Computer Monitor. We'll see.

Jayhawk,

Don't let the wife hear about the simulator in the basement! I remodeled my garage a couple years ago and bought a used simulator...awesome! The only problem was...WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, the noise of the ball hitting the screen drove her nuts! She made me leave it when we bought a new house.
    [COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Tahoma][I]I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was![/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J
    Jayhawk,

Don't let the wife hear about the simulator in the basement! I remodeled my garage a couple years ago and bought a used simulator...awesome! The only problem was...WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, the noise of the ball hitting the screen drove her nuts! She made me leave it when we bought a new house.
    Fortunately for me, my wife and I picked up golf at the same time. So she will be right there. I already told her about the idea, shes not convinced about the monitor, but it will probably not take much arm twisting. I told her I would just probably do the platform with net and see how it goes, then maybe get the simulator. It shouldn't take much, she is always doing the "practice swing" with no club in the LR.

She is as hooked on Golf as I am, and we play together about 90% of our rounds. Plus most of our friends are golfers, so it would be a great party favorite I think.

I can guarantee that you won't believe how many friends you have if they find out you have a simulator! Buy an extra fridge to store the beer! Hopefully, they will bring their own...
    [COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Tahoma][I]I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was![/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I haven't swung a club since the Sunday after Thanksgiving due to snow. This evening I am even stooping so low as to play on a Golf Simulator, just to be able to swing my clubs. I will be going to Orlando in Feb, hopefully I am not to far out of tune by that point. I will enjoy just being on a course, but it would be great to still play respectable on a golf vacation.

So where should I play tonight? Hawaii, California, Colorado (not a chance), Georgia, or maybe Bay Hill, in preperation for Orlando??? I'll just be certain to drink alot so that when my draw plays like a push~fade, I will at least feel like the fairway is down the left tree line. For those who do not have a simulator close by, you have my sympathy and understanding. There is always Tiger Woods 2006. I miss the old Links games where I could download my local courses and feel right at home.

Actually I will be done finishing my basement this winter, and come summer I am finishing under my deck (2nd story deck), I added to my plans today for a covered platform for possible use in the winter with a possible Computer Monitor. We'll see.

It'd be a miracle to play the day after thanksgiving here. The last time I played was on September 14 the next day it snowed. I'm still pushin to get a simulater but so far, taht idea hasnt flew. I'm hoping to go to Florida spring break but until then I guess Tiger Woods '06 is all for me!

Just got back from a Southern California round.......in my shirtsleeves. (Oooooopsie....I did it again.......)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Just got back from a Southern California round.......in my shirtsleeves. (Oooooopsie....I did it again.......)
    why dorkman? why?, why must you make me envy you so ?

I get out the orange practice balls out and start hitting wedge shots from my kitchen to my den (about 15 yards)... its funny the kind of spin you can put on one of those things. I make a course out of it, it gets crazy.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    why dorkman? why?, why must you make me envy you so ?
    I've lived most of my life in SoCal, 4 years in Portland, OR, and 2 years in Boston, MA. My conclusion is that wherever you go, there are good seasons and bad seasons. Here in SoCal, it is hot and smoggy from July through September, but the rest of the year is pretty sweet. In Portland and Boston, the winters seemed to last forever, but in Portland the summer was fabulous. In Boston, the spring and fall were great, the summers were a bit muggy, but pretty nice. In Florida or the gulf coast, you have nice winters, but the summers are pretty muggy. It's all about what you are used to, and what conditions you can tolerate.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've lived most of my life in SoCal, 4 years in Portland, OR, and 2 years in Boston, MA. My conclusion is that wherever you go, there are good seasons and bad seasons. Here in SoCal, it is hot and smoggy from July through September, but the rest of the year is pretty sweet. In Portland and Boston, the winters seemed to last forever, but in Portland the summer was fabulous. In Boston, the spring and fall were great, the summers were a bit muggy, but pretty nice. In Florida or the gulf coast, you have nice winters, but the summers are pretty muggy. It's all about what you are used to, and what conditions you can tolerate.

ya but no matter what the conditions in california are you can still play golf year round
    play on,
    lol ... 19

hey- you guys are lucky who can golf year round it sucks i havent been swinging a club and acually hitting a ball in a couple months..i try to not get so rusty by swinging a club every day but sometimes i forget to. i try to satisfy my needs by playing tiger woods PGA tour 06 but thats not good enought. anyways im out
    John

Just got back from the simulator, I'm not sure if I hate 12" of snow, or the simulator more. I played 9 holes, had a par on the last 2 and still finish 21 over par. At least the beer helped

I guess I can say I had it figured out after 9 holes. Doesn't help, maybe another beer will help forget the experience. Give me sunlight, or give me death.

Just move to South Florida, the offseason is Summertime. I played on Saturday, 68 degrees, you can't beat that for January.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    Just got back from the simulator, I'm not sure if I hate 12" of snow, or the simulator more. I played 9 holes, had a par on the last 2 and still finish 21 over par. At least the beer helped

I guess I can say I had it figured out after 9 holes. Doesn't help, maybe another beer will help forget the experience. Give me sunlight, or give me death.
    Yep, that about sums up my experiences with the simulator. It's still kind of a fun game; just a game not to be confused with actual golf. Putting and chipping are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Yep, that about sums up my experiences with the simulator. It's still kind of a fun game; just a game not to be confused with actual golf. Putting and chipping are ridiculous.
    I used it last year and didn't really care for it that much, I thought maybe it would be better the second time around. It was actually worse. We plan on doing it again with about 8 people, as you pay by the hour for the room and are allowed up to 8 players, so that should be a little more fun. My wife has a little more fun than me, probably because she really has no side spin on the ball, so it is a little more accurate.

The short game is rediculous.

i wouldn't know what to do with six feet of snow - ski?

it gets cold here, but not much snow ( 20°) - and i go mountain biking - but i'd rather golf

Haha we have a lot of places to ski. I think we need an indoor golf course. it would make so much money. Even if it was just a nine holer! It'd be awesome. Heck I'd settle for playing the same three holes over and over

greetings....on hand wear

when you guys play in the cold, what kind of gloves do you use? i am looking for something thinner than regular leather glove but completely covers the hands. so far, no luck.

thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by chubdo
    when you guys play in the cold, what kind of gloves do you use? i am looking for something thinner than regular leather glove but completely covers the hands. so far, no luck.

thanks and regards
    Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but have you tryed the Cold weather/Winter gloves? They usually have a microfiber or Leather palm, with a fleece back. They are made by most major glove makers and can be found in just about any sporting goods store or Course. Because they have the fleece back, thy seem a little thinner. I have used Wilson, Footjoy and an off brand that uses Polartec that I found at my local course. Sorry if that was the obvious, but I wanted to make sure you were aware that they made winter gloves. They come in a pair for around $17-25

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463
    Just move to South Florida, the offseason is Summertime. I played on Saturday, 68 degrees, you can't beat that for January.
    Actually last Saturday is was 83 degrees in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area!

Thread Information