|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Distance differences between 5-wood and hybrid

I have been debating with myself over my next purchase. Trying to hold true to my New Year's resolution to avoid impulse buys in golf gear (I would never resolve anything so difficult as no buys at all...did it once and failed a week later), I am trying to give a great deal of consideration to this decision. I am currently carrying a compliment of 3 - 9 irons with PW, GW, SW, and LW. I am also carrying a 3h Hogan hybrid. The issue I am noticing is that I am left with a significant gap in distances between my two longest clubs. I still have the 3 iron in the bag, and was looking at buying either a 5 wood or another hybrid. Being better with irons than fairway woods, I seem to have decent consistency with hybrids. I carry the 3h about 210 - 215, and ususally get into the 220's with roll. I would like to consider a CFT 1h, but unfortunately 2 is as low as they go for lefties. I haven't had a chance to try a 2h yet, and am wondering how it would compare to a 5 wood, which I usually carry in the high 220's...any thoughts? (the 3h has 22* of loft and the 2h has 19* - I would obviously be dropping the 3 iron to make room for the extra hybrid...I can't hit it with any consistency from the fairway anyhow)
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

For me there is about a 10-15 yard difference between a 5w and 2h. I hit a 5 wood about 200 yards, and a 2 hybrid around 185-190 from when i tested it

For the most part, I believe your distances are pretty close to mine on most of the clubs. I have no familiarity with hitting 2h clubs, but I would think that the 2h would be closer to the 5w than perhaps the 1h, I would think the 1h would coincide with your 3w.

Here is a link when I went through a similar thing, although it was for a 4h, some of the comments people made may help.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=3551

In the end, I would recommend taking your existing 2 clubs that you want to fill the gap with and hit 10 each on a range or launch monitor, then test out the ones you are thinking of getting to test the difference. I am only guessing that you may best fill the gap with a 2h Hogan, since that is your existing brand club, it should range pretty close. Make sure you take your existing clubs, the Monitor I used listed about 25 yard longer than my actual range, but was consistent in the range gaps between the clubs.

Here is some more info if it helps

G2 3w 14* - 240
    G2 5w 17* - 225
    G2 7w 20* - 210
    Cobra Baffler 4R 23*- 185

The other clubs I tried (TM, Callaway - Longer, JMAX, Hogan - Same) and their performance are listed in the thread above. I hit the Hogan almost identical to the Baffler, and it fit rather well to my other distance.

Thanks, guys.

Yah, our irons distances are pretty close. I like the Hogans because they have a very neutral set-up, and they compliment my hogan irons. I have to re-shaft the 3h as it has a 3 flex steel shaft (pulss a bit when I'm not careful). I am leaning towards putting a Pro-Launch in it this winter. When I bring it in I am going to to try the 2h beside the 5 wood I've been casing (the sim at this particualr location leaves me about 15 yards short). If I can keep the 2h carry within 5 - 10 yards of the 5 wood carry I think I'll go with it (should come out pretty close after roll).

In my oppinion, the hybrid is more versatile. You can shape shots more easily, hit it higher, and get the same distance. You can even use it around the greens.

I own a Hogan 1H...
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

The Baffler I picked up this last year was my first hybrid. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would buy all hybrids, in place of my fairway woods. I agree they are a much more versatile club.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    In my oppinion, the hybrid is more versatile. You can shape shots more easily, hit it higher, and get the same distance. You can even use it around the greens.

I own a Hogan 1H...
    I guess my preference is with the hybrids because of the ease of hitting them...I've always tended to top fairway woods more often than not, but the hybrids let me take a more iron-like swing, so I have a lot more success with them..the driver is the only club I can shape at all yet...apart from that, it is straight or draw, but I have had the same experience around the green...they are easier to bump and run than fairway woods, IMHO.

I have had a similar dillemma. I have the Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods 15 & 19 degree. I also have the 3H 22 degree HALO. I am finding that I am hitting the hybrid just as far as the 19 degree fairway wood. This is partly because I tend to pick it up better. It's strange. The 5 wood used to be my favourite club but since I have had the HALO 22 degree I haven't been hitting it well at all. So I have been considering leaving it out altogether or trading it in for the 19 degree 2h HALO. I still hit my 15 degree 3 wood OK when I need extra distance but I am struggling for both distance and accuracy with the 5 wood. So I thought I might hit the 19 degree HALO better and get more accuracy out of it?

I own a Hogan 1H...
    I agree. I dropped my 3w and 3i in preference to a 2h and 3h. They are much more versatile and most of the time I am using these clubs as an advancing shot. It is great if I get the eagle opportunity but most of the time I missing left, right, or short; up and down is fine. The difference in 20 yards is not significant when were talking 230+ yards. Hell I would love to be able to hit a driver off the deck but the difference for me between this hero shot and the big idiot divit is two strokes. (In golf I'm closure to idiot the hero most days.)

I also love being able to hit a big hook or fade around a tree and run down the fairway or lay up soft; the most versatile club I have in the bag next to my putter.

One vote for the #h. Find one that fits.

Five wood vs Hybrid

I just recently took my 19* Callaway 2004 Big Bertha 5 wood out of the bag because I found my Hogan Edge CFT 3 hybrid carries about the same distance. They both go about 195 yds, but the hybrid is more accurate. I'm 56, and carry an 8 hdcp.

If your thinking about reshafting your current hybrid from steel to graphite, I'd hold off making the new purchase until you've had a chance to see what difference the reshaft makes. It's quite likely you'll pick up 5-10yds changing to a quality graphite from steel.

That being said, I think the 2h hybrid is far better in your situation than a 5w. Even if the 5w fits the distance gap a little better, if you hit the hybrids better you do fw's then get the hybrid.

It's better to know that your ball will end up in the fairway a little short with a hybrid, then knowing "you can get a 5w there" but have no clue where it'll end up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDon
    If your thinking about reshafting your current hybrid from steel to graphite, I'd hold off making the new purchase until you've had a chance to see what difference the reshaft makes. It's quite likely you'll pick up 5-10yds changing to a quality graphite from steel.

That being said, I think the 2h hybrid is far better in your situation than a 5w. Even if the 5w fits the distance gap a little better, if you hit the hybrids better you do fw's then get the hybrid.

It's better to know that your ball will end up in the fairway a little short with a hybrid, then knowing "you can get a 5w there" but have no clue where it'll end up.
    You have pretty much voiced my thoughts here, as that was my thinking on both the re-shafting and the club selection...just wanted to see if my musings made sense. Thanks for all the great input, guys.

Hey! On a long par 5, I'll pull the 3-wood, and just give it a smack towards the green. I'd rather be in a greenside bunker or 20 yards short than have a 115 yard layup shot.

Pretty much the Tiger ideology
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Hey! On a long par 5, I'll pull the 3-wood, and just give it a smack towards the green. I'd rather be in a greenside bunker or 20 yards short than have a 115 yard layup shot.

...which makes perfect sense if you are profiscient enough to get yourself to that bunker with the fairway wood. While I don't go at too many par 5's in two anyway, I have more confidence in my hybrid shots than I have in my woods...I can get the hybrid to that 100 marker better than I can get the 3 wood to the bunker. ;)

I do promote hybrids, but I do believe you should carry a 3-wood with your driver.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bchslap14me
    You have pretty much voiced my thoughts here, as that was my thinking on both the re-shafting and the club selection...just wanted to see if my musings made sense. Thanks for all the great input, guys.
    I tried both steel and graphite. I liked the feel of the steel; they play more like my irons and I had better control. Granted these were OEM shafts.

Absolutely he should carry a 3 wood BPC, but this discussion was either a 5w or a 2h hybrid. Because he said he's better with his irons/hybrid than his FW, I said he should get the hybrid even if he could hit the 5w a little bit farther. I'd rather be 15yds short and straight then pin high but 30yds off line

Thread Information