|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shaft stiffness for Driver swing speed.

Hello all,

This is my first post on this board. I had my driver swing speed measured at 115mph. I currently have a stiff flex shaft which is the stock shaft on my TaylorMade r580 XD. It feels a little to flexy to me and I am wondering if that driver club head speed is suitable for x-stiff shaft. I know there are many variables to the equation on what shaft to get due to launch angle and so forth but currently only interested in stiffness.

I had been looking to reshaft the driver with either an Aldila Nv shaft, Grafalloy, or a Fujikura. I don't have problems hitting my driver in the air so I suppose a low torque shaft with mid to low kick would be fine.

The reason I am asking on this forum is because Golfer's Warehouse in my area don't have many different shaft options to try, nor do they shaft clubs there.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Driver:R580XD 9.5deg with Accuflex VS 339 x stiff
    Woods:15deg Vsteel, 4H Heavenwood
    Irons:TM LT2 T-step 110 Stiff shafts
    Wedge:56* TM Rac Black
    Putter: TM Daytona 1 CGB w/Agsi

at 115, i would stick with stiff flex. if you go for a grafalloy blue, it will feel ( and be substantially stiffer), the fujikuras too ( suggest a speeder 757), you might consider a diamana 83 ( tiger woods) which is what i have, though i swing in the 105mph range (it feels a little heavy for me).

i suggest you don't go too stiff, for comfort of play, and get something with less torque.

Quote Originally Posted by philfrance
    at 115, i would stick with stiff flex. if you go for a grafalloy blue, it will feel ( and be substantially stiffer), the fujikuras too ( suggest a speeder 757), you might consider a diamana 83 ( tiger woods) which is what i have, though i swing in the 105mph range (it feels a little heavy for me).

i suggest you don't go too stiff, for comfort of play, and get something with less torque.
    Since there are no industry standards as to what constitutes "regular, stiff, or X-stiff", it creates problems for people who don't really know what they are getting with a given shaft. The Graffaloy Blue and the Fuji 757 are known for playing "stiff to flex"; that is, they play 1/2 to 1 flex stiffer than their stated flex. A 757 stiff flex would play about like somebody else's X-flex. Is there a professional clubmaker nearby you could consult?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

As Dorkman correctly (as usual) points out, actual stiffness can vary tremendously for flex depending on the manufacturer. Any clubfitter with a frequency machine can frequency out a few shafts for you so that you can get an idea as to what flex should work for you. Equally or more important, however, are the pariticular flex characteristics for a given shaft, and what will work best for you. It's not simply a matter of torque and kickpoint, it's also butt and tip stiffness.

If you're going to drop $100 or more on a driver shaft (and I don't know how you could drop less $$ for a decent shaft), you ought to go to a clubfitter with a launch monitor and get the shaft that works best for you.

My SS is about the same as yours, 115-118, and to be honest your pretty much on the border between a stiff and an X. There are alot of other factors to base the flex on other than just raw speed such as your tempo, your swing type, and the shaft's characteristics as well. I would agree that you should goto a fitter w/ a launch monitor to try and get the best match you can.

If you decide to simply buy a shaft "blind", I would recommend going with a stiff flex. Reason being if it's a little loose, you can tip trim the shaft to make it play a bit stiffer. This would give the most margin for error. Some companies you could play an X with no problem, with others an X would feel like rebar...........but there aren't many that I can think of where you couldn't use a stiff shaft and tip it properly to make it very playable for you.

Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for the flex of golf shafts. However, from experience I can tell you that the Aldila NV plays a little bit weaker than the stated flex, and the Graffoloy Pro launch and even the Blue play a little bit stronger.

Good luck, remember to tell us what you choose!
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

this thread is interesting - interesting to know that there is no real reference for stiffness is there.

a fujikura regular can be stiffer than a grafalloy or an adlila - and a fujikura 757 speeder stiff can be stiffer than a fujikura vista pro stiff. it's all a matter of relativity.

as mentionned by others above, some companies tend to rate their stiffness differently - a fujikura plays slightly weaker than a grafalloy, but probably stronger than an adlila ( i'm not even sure about all this).

the manufacturers probably have their own relative referencing, which makes it tougher for you to change brands to find the same stiffness.

also, stiffness is conditionned on where the stiffness is - reduced torque will provide some sensation of stiffness to a club, as will a igher kick point.....

i bet we're all confused by now.

bottom line is demo different shafts - stiffness is an issue, so is torque, there are many quality shafts out there.

I am playing a diamana 83 on my R7 TP, but preferred the fujikura Six and 757 i had previously ( i guess i need lighter shafts)..... this is my opinion, but may not apply to you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shteeve
    As Dorkman correctly (as usual) points out, actual stiffness can vary tremendously for flex depending on the manufacturer. Any clubfitter with a frequency machine can frequency out a few shafts for you so that you can get an idea as to what flex should work for you. Equally or more important, however, are the pariticular flex characteristics for a given shaft, and what will work best for you. It's not simply a matter of torque and kickpoint, it's also butt and tip stiffness.

If you're going to drop $100 or more on a driver shaft (and I don't know how you could drop less $$ for a decent shaft), you ought to go to a clubfitter with a launch monitor and get the shaft that works best for you.

ust proforce v2s are much less than 100 dollars, and the grafalloy blue is under 100 too in the u.s. It costs around 100 canadian

The club fitters in my area don't have many shaft options to swing "in store". So I came on here to ask what anyone else has or haved used.

My current shaft is the TM M.A.S2 65g with low torque and firm tip.

Shaft weight doesn't really matter to me. I am a big softball player also so anything under 30oz. is light to me.

My tempo isn't super fast or slow... I would say medium.

I have seen good deals on ebay for shafts but I am hesitant to buy any based on the fact that I don't know how it will change the ball flight among other things.

Yeah I was looking at speeder 757 but I have heard mixed things about them. I have a couple of golf pro buddies of mine but it is hard for them to help me without knowing my launch angle, since I don't either.

But thanks for all the help. I will write back with an update if I decide what to do.
    Driver:R580XD 9.5deg with Accuflex VS 339 x stiff
    Woods:15deg Vsteel, 4H Heavenwood
    Irons:TM LT2 T-step 110 Stiff shafts
    Wedge:56* TM Rac Black
    Putter: TM Daytona 1 CGB w/Agsi

Quote Originally Posted by hagar852
    The club fitters in my area don't have many shaft options to swing "in store". So I came on here to ask what anyone else has or haved used.

Shaft weight doesn't really matter to me. I am a big softball player also so anything under 30oz. is light to me.

I have seen good deals on ebay for shafts but I am hesitant to buy any based on the fact that I don't know how it will change the ball flight among other things.

Yeah I was looking at speeder 757 but I have heard mixed things about them. I have a couple of golf pro buddies of mine but it is hard for them to help me without knowing my launch angle, since I don't either.

But thanks for all the help. I will write back with an update if I decide what to do.
    I have the same driver as you with the same shaft. I find it gets a little too high. I am soon going to put a mid kick point shaft in it (blue or nv) too bring it down a bit. The mas.2 shaft is a low kick shaft so it puts the ball up high.
    if you see specs on a shafts this may help:
    low kickpoint - high trajectory (pro launch, nvs)
    mid kickpoint - mid trajectory (blue and nv)
    high kick point - low trajectory (pro lite)
    high

Quote Originally Posted by hagar852

As a rule, the Taylormade OEM shafts will play soft to flex, as will Callaways.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Most TM drivers come out of the factory un-tipped. The new 425 and 425 TP are tipped 1/2" though. If it's playing too whippy for you, see if you can get the shaft tipped 1/2" to 1".

Thread Information