|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

10-finger, baseball grip

I'm 5'7" with smaller than avg fingers. I know its bad, but I mess around with my grip every now and then, always trying to find what feels best. I'm a 15 HC, been playing for 8-9 years, and have played full seasons with both the interlock and the classic vardon grip. Depending on the season (or week, or round sometimes!), I've loved and hated both grips. Since its the winter here in NJ, I have a lot of time to swing indoors, and have been playing around with the 10-finger, or baseball grip. It feels really, really good. I feel like I can control the club much more, and overall, just feel very confident with it. Granted, I havent hit balls with this grip yet, but wanted to know, are there good golfers out there who use this grip, i.e., is this an acceptable way to hold a golf club?

Quote Originally Posted by 515maverick
    I'm 5'7" with smaller than avg fingers. I know its bad, but I mess around with my grip every now and then, always trying to find what feels best. I'm a 15 HC, been playing for 8-9 years, and have played full seasons with both the interlock and the classic vardon grip. Depending on the season (or week, or round sometimes!), I've loved and hated both grips. Since its the winter here in NJ, I have a lot of time to swing indoors, and have been playing around with the 10-finger, or baseball grip. It feels really, really good. I feel like I can control the club much more, and overall, just feel very confident with it. Granted, I havent hit balls with this grip yet, but wanted to know, are there good golfers out there who use this grip, i.e., is this an acceptable way to hold a golf club?
    Sure it is perfectly acceptable. I used for the longest time, and still use it for chipping. For longer swings, I like to feel like my hands are connected, and my right hand can't influence. With the baseball grip, the right hand seemed to do all kinds a funky stuff on full swings.
    To be honest though, my ballstriking has stayed about the same since switching to the overlap...

grip is really a personal preference, but i find as do many others that with a interlock grip you get much mor wrist movement, and can put more cleubhead speed through the ball. There was a thread about this about a week ago, you may want to check it out!

Also if your hands are smaller you may want to be fitted for grip size to see if you need smaller grips

Put your hands in a baseball grip, then open them and see which part of your fingers are incontact with the shaft/grip. Then do the same with the interlock and/or Varden. It should be obvious (if your hands are built like mine) that with the 10 finger grip, you aren't using your hands as a unit as well on wrist flexion and rotation. Both hands have to function independently.
    I converted from a baseball grip to an interlocking grip, and noticed an immediate improvement in iron distance and soon noticed an improvment in accuracy as well, because I was using my wrists more effectively.
    That said, do what works......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Excellent suggestion..

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    Also if your hands are smaller you may want to be fitted for grip size to see if you need smaller grips
    about grip size. The 10 finger grip was(maybe still is) used by a few successful touring pros. Whatever works best.

I've never used a baseball grip except in just goofing around every now and then. Most of what I've read or heard is that you will find the Baseball grip gives more of a loss in connection between the hands where you will not feel they are swinging as one. I've heard the interlock is usually a preferable grip for people with smaller hands, where the Overlap is more preferable for most others and people with Bigger hands. I personally have larger hands but have always felt more comfortable with the interlock, and it is how I was taught to play. Every year at the begining of the season I usually try out the overlap, and every year I usually end up going back to the interlock. I usually just feel like I have less control of the clubhead with the overlap and my it wears badly on my left index finger.

Since its the winter here in NJ, I have a lot of time to swing indoors, and have been playing around with the 10-finger, or baseball grip. It feels really, really good. I feel like I can control the club much more, and overall, just feel very confident with it. Granted, I havent hit balls with this grip yet, but wanted to know, are there good golfers out there who use this grip, i.e., is this an acceptable way to hold a golf club?
    Just finished my first pro lesson today and I've switched from the 10 finger baseball to overlap based on the instructors opinion.

My swing is consistent (consistenly bad that is), and over time, I had made my right hand strong on the grip to adjust for my bad swing.

After today's hour, switching my grip, and some initial pointers, I have some practice ahead of me; but after watching today's before and after video, much improvement!

So, my opinion about switching, spend an hour with an instructor who can analyze your swing and see if it can help your overall swing.

I know a scratch golfer at my course that uses the 10-finger grip. I say whatever works...

Peace

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    My personal experience of the 10 finger grip is a feeling of a very free and energetic release through the ball. However, if you have good active hands the 10 finger grip can lead to some dreadful hooks. Although I have short fingers I have never liked the interlocking grip.

One poster said that he uses the 10 finger grip for chipping. Interestingly (to me at any rate), I favour the reverse overlap for chipping as I feel it keeps the hands quiet.

I too just started using the baseball grip. I’m a formal Athletic with a lot of upper body power and fast head speed. Which at times bites me bad.

Before this grip I was using the thumb, thumb grip is what I call it. Both thumbs on the shaft facing down in a straight line grip. I found that this grip was just to hard master.

For me I can hit my 3 iron 290-300 yd 50% of 100 times right where I want it. And my 9 iron 200+ easy.

What I’m getting at is once I change over to the Baseball grip it has made me not grip as hard and not made my shaft do funny things before I hit the ball, but at the same time if things are not right with me standing wise, control wise off the ball goes into the woods. LOL.

Yes I can WOW! A lot of people with my swing, but doing it over and over at times is hard.

I would love to try the interlock and/or Varden, But where can I get photo of how it should be done.

Thank you all for your help.

James

just found this

http://www.georgiagolf.co.nz/tips/grip.html

BASEBALL:
    All the fingers are on the club. This is a good grip for weaker hands and senior players.

so by this they are saying i have a weak hands?

INTERLOCK:
    The little finger of the right hand interlocks with the forefinger of the left hand (advisable for people with small hands or short fingers)

this i can not do i have long fingers / a larger paw.

VARDON:
    The little finger of the right hand fits in the groove between the forefinger and middle finger of the left hand.

i may have to try this one and see how it feels.
    Last edited by Motorman007; 01-19-2006 at 09:54 AM.

By the distances you quote for some of your clubs I'd hazard a guess that you're swinging waaay too hard. A persons golfing prowess ultimately is determined by what they score, not how far they can hit their clubs. If that were the case you'd have all tournaments held a driving ranges and getting it into the hole would in the fewest strokes would not be the goal. That isn't meant as a dis towards you, but it is an observation that you are trying to kill it and that is not good.

As for the different grips all you have to do is "google" them. "picture vardon grip" or "picture interlocking golf grip". You'll have plenty of photos. Being athletic can certainly help, but being in really great shape isn't even a prerequisite to playing good golf.

If you could do it over and over you'd be a very good golfer and it's easier to repeat a swing that isn't going all out because over 18 holes the muscles will get tired and once that happens even the best golfers get into trouble.

Fred i think you hit right. I have been told i do swing waaay too hard. and it can get hazard at time when i get upset. lol

so maybe it is not my grip be more a my temp for say.

and doing it over and over can get hard. i know you are not dissing me just facts.

i know once i slow down for say swing wise i hit the ball pretty and straight.

i'm going out today and try slowing down and finding a good temp. it may be be my grip after all.

thanx sir

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    By the distances you quote for some of your clubs I'd hazard a guess that you're swinging waaay too hard. A persons golfing prowess ultimately is determined by what they score, not how far they can hit their clubs. If that were the case you'd have all tournaments held a driving ranges and getting it into the hole would in the fewest strokes would not be the goal. That isn't meant as a dis towards you, but it is an observation that you are trying to kill it and that is not good.

As for the different grips all you have to do is "google" them. "picture vardon grip" or "picture interlocking golf grip". You'll have plenty of photos. Being athletic can certainly help, but being in really great shape isn't even a prerequisite to playing good golf.

If you could do it over and over you'd be a very good golfer and it's easier to repeat a swing that isn't going all out because over 18 holes the muscles will get tired and once that happens even the best golfers get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman007
    I too just started using the baseball grip. I’m a formal Athletic with a lot of upper body power and fast head speed. Which at times bites me bad.

Before this grip I was using the thumb, thumb grip is what I call it. Both thumbs on the shaft facing down in a straight line grip. I found that this grip was just to hard master.

For me I can hit my 3 iron 290-300 yd 50% of 100 times right where I want it. And my 9 iron 200+ easy.

What I’m getting at is once I change over to the Baseball grip it has made me not grip as hard and not made my shaft do funny things before I hit the ball, but at the same time if things are not right with me standing wise, control wise off the ball goes into the woods. LOL.

Yes I can WOW! A lot of people with my swing, but doing it over and over at times is hard.

I would love to try the interlock and/or Varden, But where can I get photo of how it should be done.

Thank you all for your help.

James

just found this

http://www.georgiagolf.co.nz/tips/grip.html

BASEBALL:
    All the fingers are on the club. This is a good grip for weaker hands and senior players.

so by this they are saying i have a weak hands?

INTERLOCK:
    The little finger of the right hand interlocks with the forefinger of the left hand (advisable for people with small hands or short fingers)

this i can not do i have long fingers / a larger paw.

VARDON:
    The little finger of the right hand fits in the groove between the forefinger and middle finger of the left hand.

i may have to try this one and see how it feels.
    Motorman,
    I'm going to have to call BS on your distances. I was going to let someone else do it, but no one stepped up, so here I am. BS. No one hits the ball that far. I wish you luck with your grip change, though. Once again, BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Motorman,
    I'm going to have to call BS on your distances. I was going to let someone else do it, but no one stepped up, so here I am. BS. No one hits the ball that far. I wish you luck with your grip change, though. Once again, BS.
    you beat me to that call. theres no way you hit your 3 iron as long as tigers 3 wood. BS

i know man i know. i just called my farther in law to get things right.

300+ i was wrong. 270-

it sound like BS. but i have done it. i do go a lot how in the Hell can you hit that with that kind of thing. mybe i get lucky.

this i know

3 iron - 270-
    4 iron -don't use
    5 iron - 240-
    6 iron - don't use
    7 iron - 230-
    8 iron - don't use much
    9 iron - 200
    PW - 150-175

all of this are Avg. Distance

i'm not here to say my D is bigger than his kind of deal.

facts are that i hit to hard

i'm no pro, i just started 2 years a go. i just play with my father in law, friends.

I know it is hard to believe but true.. but Fred may have it right i may be swinging way to hard. my placement is not the best, but when i get a hold of one it goes.

i'm just asking about grip help not to dis anyone here. i'm very sorry if i have.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Motorman,

300+ i was wrong. 270-

it sound like BS. but i have done it. i do go a lot how in the Hell can you hit that with that kind of thing. mybe i get lucky.

this i know

3 iron - 270-
    4 iron -don't use
    5 iron - 240-
    6 iron - don't use
    7 iron - 230-
    8 iron - don't use much
    9 iron - 200
    PW - 150-175

i'm no pro, i just started 2 years a go. i just play with my father in law, friends.

I know it is hard to believe but true.. but Fred may have it right i may be swinging way to hard. my placement is not the best, but when i get a hold of one it goes.

i'm just asking about grip help not to dis anyone here. i'm very sorry if i have.

that sounds more believable. i am just wondering why you dont use half of your irons. having a variety of clubs to hit and shots to play may help to lower yoour scores

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

Iron Distances

300+ i was wrong. 270-

this i know

3 iron - 270-
    4 iron -don't use
    5 iron - 240-
    6 iron - don't use
    7 iron - 230-
    8 iron - don't use much
    9 iron - 200
    PW - 150-175

Not only hitting too hard but may I suggest some serious de-lofting is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    Not only hitting too hard but may I suggest some serious de-lofting is going on here?
    One of my first thought on seeing no mention of woods or a Driver was thinking that it is not so much that he didn't need them, and the fact that he may be delofting a 3i to about 8 or 9 degrees and that a 5w, 3w, or driver would be so delofted that it would be useless.

I would probably ask him, have you ever hit a 5w, 3w or driver? What does it do, does it skim accross the ground? What kind of trajectory are you getting on a 3i, is it similar to what you see on you father-in-law or friends Driver?

Hurt my wrist when I was younger...love the 10 finger grip

Quote Originally Posted by Regor View Post
    Just finished my first pro lesson today and I've switched from the 10 finger baseball to overlap based on the instructors opinion.

My swing is consistent (consistenly bad that is), and over time, I had made my right hand strong on the grip to adjust for my bad swing.

After today's hour, switching my grip, and some initial pointers, I have some practice ahead of me; but after watching today's before and after video, much improvement!

So, my opinion about switching, spend an hour with an instructor who can analyze your swing and see if it can help your overall swing.
    I broke my wrist when I was in high school. Maybe this is why is have always had more succuss with the baseball grip. The overlapping or interlocking grips never gave me any consistency. I kept switching back to the baseball grip and my ball striking was right on target. If a person works with the baseball grip he/she can work it out through swing path where the right hand does not take over and the hands feel perfectly connected. I find that my mind automatically directs my body to work it out without thinking too much about anything. But I have hit many many balls to work it out. Hitting balls is my therapy. I just put the my ipod on and let the music guide my practice session. I can spend hours hitting balls in a very relaxed fashion and all my swing problems always work themselves out if I trust in myself. The mind is always hard at work directing the body how to swing if one can let go of so much thinking and believe. Spending time on the practice range is the most important thing a golfer can do to solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by restfulateaseswing View Post
    I broke my wrist when I was in high school. Maybe this is why is have always had more succuss with the baseball grip. The overlapping or interlocking grips never gave me any consistency. I kept switching back to the baseball grip and my ball striking was right on target. If a person works with the baseball grip he/she can work it out through swing path where the right hand does not take over and the hands feel perfectly connected. I find that my mind automatically directs my body to work it out without thinking too much about anything. But I have hit many many balls to work it out. Hitting balls is my therapy. I just put the my ipod on and let the music guide my practice session. I can spend hours hitting balls in a very relaxed fashion and all my swing problems always work themselves out if I trust in myself. The mind is always hard at work directing the body how to swing if one can let go of so much thinking and believe. Spending time on the practice range is the most important thing a golfer can do to solve problems.
    ENOUGH ALREADY!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR FLIPPING 10 FINGER GRIP!!

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I've always played the 10 finger baseball grip, I just can't get comfortable with the interlock grip. It always feels like the club is going to fly out of my hands on my backswing. My irons have always been my strong suit and to be honest on open courses i don't care where my drive goes because I know I can find the green with my iron play.

Thread Information