|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Casting / Early Release

I have been golfing for a couple years, and play to an 6 handicap.

However, when videotaping my swing, I have always fought the same problem, "Casting / Early Release."

It really kills me to say the least. I have been told I have a beautiful swing by many coaches, as I play golf for my High School, but if theres one thing thats holding my game from really taking off its this dreaded early release of the club on the downswing.

Any advice on how to cure it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I want to cure this fault before next season, so I can really go low.

Thanks guys!

Mike

This may help
    http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline..._10_sh,00.html

I would also highly recommend picking up Hogans - 5 fundamentals of golf if you have not already. It is about $15 and is invaluable for any fundamental functions of the grip and swing.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWhoGolfs
    I have been golfing for a couple years, and play to an 6 handicap.

However, when videotaping my swing, I have always fought the same problem, "Casting / Early Release."

It really kills me to say the least. I have been told I have a beautiful swing by many coaches, as I play golf for my High School, but if theres one thing thats holding my game from really taking off its this dreaded early release of the club on the downswing.

Any advice on how to cure it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I want to cure this fault before next season, so I can really go low.

Thanks guys!

Mike

pa's link is great, i have worked with my daughter in the past several years on this problem and for 2-3 years she just cannot get over the casting.

partly because in my opinion, her arms are not strong enough to maintain the hinge. but we keep at it, doing a little weight ex to strength the wrists, both flexion and extension.

2 things i try to teach her:

1. slow down the beginning of the downswing. let the arms drop in the inside slot, instead of swinging down. if the swinging momentum is too early, too powerful, it is easy to lose the wrist hinge. it is better to keep the hinge and slow down with a controlled, natural swing, than to swing down hard and lose control and lose hinge. better ball contact is much more important than faster swing speed, for distance, accuracy and trajectory.

2. i ask her to make very easy swing from L to L. L meaning the arms are parallel to the ground and the club is close to point straight up. at that juncture during the backswing, the wrists should be fully hinged. i tell her to keep a mental picture of maintaining that, even through the impact. of course, she cannot do that, because during impact, the wrists are released. but since i tell her to maintain the L even after impact, she basically crosses over the arms as well. so this L to L will delay the release of the wrist prior to impact, thus limiting wasteful casting. the key is to do it slowly and easily, so that you try to feel the wrists and their relationship with the club. gradually, if you do if enough, you feel that you can actually control the hinge to certain extent.

good luck.

Thread Information