|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Long irons versus Hybrids

What clubs are actually classified as long, medium and short irons? Obviously 1 & 2 irons are long irons but in the standard 3-PW range what are considered to be long irons?

I always thought the 3-4 were the long irons, 5-7 were medium irons and 8-PW were short irons? And are wedges now considered a completely separate class?

The reason that I ask is hybrids are constantly hyped as a replacement for those 'hard to hit long irons' yet the manufacturers are now turning out hybrids for everything from a 1 iron up to a 6/7 iron?

I replaced my 3 iron with a 22* Halo 3 hybrid and it's great. It is so forgiving and versatile that I am considering replacing my 4 iron too. But I wouldn't consider 5,6 & 7 irons 'hard to hit long irons'!

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

long irons and hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    What clubs are actually classified as long, medium and short irons? Obviously 1 & 2 irons are long irons but in the standard 3-PW range what are considered to be long irons?

I always thought the 3-4 were the long irons, 5-7 were medium irons and 8-PW were short irons? And are wedges now considered a completely separate class?

The reason that I ask is hybrids are constantly hyped as a replacement for those 'hard to hit long irons' yet the manufacturers are now turning out hybrids for everything from a 1 iron up to a 6/7 iron?

I replaced my 3 iron with a 22* Halo 3 hybrid and it's great. It is so forgiving and versatile that I am considering replacing my 4 iron too. But I wouldn't consider 5,6 & 7 irons 'hard to hit long irons'!
    You are correct - traditionally 1 thru 4 have been considered long irons. However many beginners and high handicap golfers also find the 5 iron quite a challenge. Hogan makes hybrids down to a 5 iron replacement. Slazenger incorporate a hybrid design in their "Easy" irons right down to SW (as seen on the Golf Channel)

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    Slazenger incorporate a hybrid design in their "Easy" irons right down to SW (as seen on the Golf Channel)
    Tour Edge does this as well, all the way up to a 59* LW on their JMax.

Not sure if they still do, but Orlimar used to sell fairway woods up to around a 9i.

One question that I had regarding Hybrids...

Now, I can the 3 iron fairly well but getting better, I hit the 4 iron very well with consistency, that said...would it benefit me to check out a 3 hybrid or 2 hybrid? I heard you can't hit hybrids well from the rough, that you need an iron to swing through the rough for a better ball contact.

Can hybrids help in the rough, are they even neccessary if you can hit the long irons? I can hit a 5 wood better than my 3 iron, wouldn't that suffice as a type of hybrid? I hit that from rough sometimes. And I can bomb my 3 iron between 230-260 (when I hit it square).

How do you know if you really need a hybrid?

IMHO, whatever clubs you hit consistantly & confidently should determine your club selection.
    A hybrid with the same loft as an iron should travel a bit further than the iron. So a 3h would replace a 3i and possibly a 2i.
    If you play well with a 5w, then maybe you don't need a hybrid at all.
    My hybrids have shafts the same length as the irons they replace so they are easier for me to control than some of the hybrids with the longer, wood-like shafts.
    For me, I cannot get the distance out of my 3, 4 and sometimes 5 irons I should. I just end up with a low trajectory 5/6 iron shot.
    With my 26* hybrid I get an easier 185-195, and my 22* is for the 200 yd range shots.
    They work well for me out of the rough.

Thread Information