|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Rangefinders not specifically made for golf

I've read many posts here about the benefits of laser rangefinders and have seen the following question asked but not answered.

Do laser rangefinders made for hunting such as the Nikon 440 or the Bushnell Yardage Pro (not the Tour model) work as well for golf as the ones the specifically stated as golf rangefinders?

I've noticed that the non-golf ones seem to be a little cheaper but have the same type of specifications.

If this was answered already (and I missed it in my search), I apologize. Otherwise, can anyone help answer this?

Thanks!

I just got a Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout, looks just like the Tour except it's green instead of silver. It appears to function like the tour, but was $40 cheaper. Other than the color and price I think they're dupicates.

yardage pro

I have a yardage pro that I bought for bow hunting this fall. I ranged deer over 250 yards so I would think it would work great for golf, ranging the front and back of the greens from 200+. You might be able to get the flag from 200 but it is a small reflective surface. If the green is sloping towards you just shoot the ground near the cup and you should be able to get a reading well over 250 yards with a fresh battery. I live in Minnesota so I haven’t used it playing golf yet but spent many hours in a tree stand with nothing better to do then play with my yardage pro and it works very good. If you have doubts go to a big outdoors store like Cabellas, Gander Mnt, ext and try out the different brands. Question are range finders USGA approved now???

Sky Caddie

Anyone here purchase or used one of those SKY CADDIES?? I just saw the info-mercial a couple of days ago and was wondering if its worth the 4 payments of $69.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463
    Anyone here purchase or used one of those SKY CADDIES?? I just saw the info-mercial a couple of days ago and was wondering if its worth the 4 payments of $69.99.
    i watched that info-mercial also. i think that it is a good idea. but the course that i play at is small and i doubt that it would have the informationon my course. the sky caddie probably doesn't have many canadian courses on it but it probably has a lot of the american ones.
    if you play at a popular course in the states i thinlk that it would be a good investment

I have been using Bushnell Yardage Pro regularly on the Golf course for the last 4 months and it has been very useful. There was a recent thread about the same issue and it had a lot of useful insights. From what I understand, some of the newer "golf" targeted rangefinders can take the elevation change into consideration and give you an "adjusted" yardage (dont quote me on this though!!!!!!). I use it a lot under 2 situations. The carry distance to clear a Hazard. It reflects very well from the edge of the bunker and the edge of the water area (Not the water or the sand itself). The other time I use it a lot is between 150 - 60 yards to the pin (to get carry past the greenside bunker or water). You do need steady hands to hit the flag in the crosswire from 150. Some of my partners cant use it at all. I use it in the Range quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by +to0to-
    From what I understand, some of the newer "golf" targeted rangefinders can take the elevation change into consideration and give you an "adjusted" yardage (dont quote me on this though!!!!!!).
    The Bushnell Pinseeker has a model that will do this, altough I have not tried them. I will stick with the Yardage Pro Tour I picked up last year for the difference in price. Works well for me.
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/rangefinder/golf.cfm

Plus, I think calculating the slope would take more away from the game than what I would want.

Thread Information