|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Nike SasQuatch vs. Callaway FT-3

Which driver is better, Nike SasQuatch of the Callaway FT-3. Golf Digest likes the SasQuatch, what does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilferty
    Which driver is better, Nike SasQuatch of the Callaway FT-3. Golf Digest likes the SasQuatch, what does everyone else think?
    Im sure everybody else will say the same thing, but it all depends on your swing, What works a dream for you, may be useless to another golfer. The only way to see is to demo both and also try different shaft and loft combinations. Also if you get your swing speed measured you can gain advice on which shaft and loft may help you, generally extra loft helps, demo both, and go with your favourite, a driver can be a joy to use or an untouched enemy, choose wisley............

TOM
    "1 PUTTS PREFFERED!"

forget about trying them out, thats a waste of time, the sasquatch is the second best driver on the market, only to the r7425, get the sasquatch case closed

I think the best driver ever made was the Taylor Made R510 TP.

The FT-3 is good though.... Just not as good as the R510TP. I have an FT-3 on Ebay right now with the bid up to 237.00.... jump on it, its like new.
    Taylor Made R7 Superquad 9.5*
    Nickent 3dx 17* Aldila NV
    Mizuno MX-23 3-PW
    Taylor Made TP 54* & 58*
    Scotty Cameron Red X2 34" 340g

I have never hit the SQ but I know Tiger was hitting one this weekend & that alone will spike sales. It was also the Hot List editors choice but I think every club on the hot list is great. I have the FT-3 w/ NVS & it is an awesome driver. Most forgiving driver I have ever hit. The SQ just looks like a a stingray on a stick to me but to each his own. There are groves of players that hate the fusion look and sound too. I know it's boring & predictable but you just need to hit drivers & compare. There are guys at my club that swear by TM & guys that hate them. I personally don't like all the screws & wrenches & stuff but that's just me. TM are very popular for a reason, Callaway & Cleveland & Nike are too. Get fitted. Good Luck

All I know is the SQ is butt ugly, with Nike youre paying for a name and a swoosh. And The SQ TIger uses is different than what you or I can buy in the store.
    Titleist 704, DG S300
    Titleist 904T 10.5
    Callaway 52d wedge
    Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60d wedge
    Adams redline 5 wood stiff flex steel
    4 Ball putter

All i know is the FT-3 sounds horrible at impact. I would never buy one. It also looks like a box..thats what i think of that...
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

No driver is ugly as the SQ. FT-3 is not exactly pretty but I've hit them both and prefer the FT-3 by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilferty
    The Nike, at least to me doesn't offer anything really innovative technology-wise. It's 460 cc's, that's been done before. Does it have any weighting ports ? No ! I'm not saying these are absolutely required for one to be better than the other, but Tiger can't even hit his SasQuatch. His best rounds had some good drives, but the Sunday @ the Buick tournament, he couldn't hit the fairway if his life depended on it. That was the worst afternoon of golf I probably ever saw the Sunday players hit. They were getting pars, but it wasn't because the drive was putting in them in that position. I just thought Tiger was fortunate on the 18th to even find his ball in the rough, as it sunk deep. What saved his bacon was that he can hit it out of that and he did outdrive everyone else. But he could outdrive Olazabel and that rookie any day with the Ignite or whatever else he used before.

The other thing that bothers me about the Nike, why have the rear edge of the club painted another color, My only rational is that the head is so darn big, they had to create an optical illusion for the golfer to feel they weren't swinging & hitting the ball with a boot on a stick. And the simple fact the SasQuatch 460 Tour Model is shorter in that regard tells me all I need to know about whether it's even really necessary for the Regular Joe's SasQuatch to be that large.

Tha Callaway ? I'm not a fan of the Composite driver construction, otherwise I would have bought a Yonex years ago.

I will say I've tried the SasQuatch at a hitting cage, it hits nicely, so did it's predecessor 460 Ignite I tried. I didn't even try the Callaway Fusion. It's composite and I had no desire to try it. I tried Callaway irons in the past, hated the big fat top lines that made me feel like I was using a first grade pencil to write, for lack of a better analogy. I'm just not a Callaway golfer.

Still the beauty and beast of the drivers are Taylormade's Quad R7. That's if I was going to drop more than $ 250+ on a new driver. This club in the cage was still the easiest to hit for me, I loved it. Anyhow, I use a 983K currently and chose to build a Sasquatch Clone (SV2 9.5*) with a UST IROD "S" driver shaft for an alternate driver. I'll report back on whether I think it's equivalent to the SasQuatch for my intents and purposes. I got an itch to build a club instead anyway. $ 125 for what I think I can come as close to what Nike wants me to put in my bag permanently for $ 299 brand new off the showroom floor.

Heres what you do if you want to create the feeling of hitting a callaway FT-3.

1) tape a small square box around the head of your driver.
    2) get someone to drop a can of soup on a Concrete, or tile floor at the exzact moment of impact.

Now you have re-created the feeling of hitting a callaway FT-3.

Fusion

I haven't tried SQ

Fusion FT-3 TOUR is great, I bought almoust a new one(6 rounds played) 220e(250 Dollars?)

I don't like Aldila NVS shaft, my new shaft will be prolaunch 65

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Again I have never hit the SQ. I went off Callaway drivers after the Great Big Bertha which is now hopelessly outdated. I am currently using a Hogan CS3 with Grafalloy Prolite 35 shaft (R Flex) I like the more compact elegant head. Again its not up there with the big 4 in terms of popularity but its not miles behind in terms of performance. I also find its one of the most consistent straight hitting drivers I have owned.

I've been hitting my SQ Tour so well that during every round I play, someone in the group asks if they can try it. The SQ is getting quite a bit of use...

On a recent round with 2 other golfers, we all hit the SQ on the 18th tee at Avila Beach Golf Resort. Our balls all ended up within 10 yards of each other in the middle of the fairway about 270 yards out.
    Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

San Luis Obispo County Rated #1 for Golf in California by Golf Digest

Nike SQ Tour 9.5* NV 7.5 Stiff
    Orlimar 14*/22* Tri-metal
    Nike 22* CPR Hybrid Stiff
    Ping ZING2 3-PW/SW
    Ben Hogan Riveria 58* LW
    Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT Putter

I'm a relative newbie to the golf world of equipment. I didn't know anything until I recently went to the Ft. Lauderdale Golf Exhibit. All the major manufacturers were there and I hit just about every driver and 3 wood there. And after speaking to each manufacturer about equipment I figured one thing to hold true for every one of them. I was fitted for the same shaft on each driver I hit. Therefore, since the shaft selection can be customized to your swing type it doesn't matter what club face you hit. I was placed on the launch radar computer 3 different times with 3 different vendors, I was consistantly 120mph swing, 160 mph ball speed, carrying 270-280 and 5500 rpms (est) after they all fitted me with a stiff shaft with a low kickpoint and a 10.5* driver.

My theory, forget the clubface, get a shaft that suits your swing. My next purchase will be last years Cleveland Launcher Driver 10.5* with the avilda?? shaft, stiff shaft and low kick point. I can get this driver fo 129$ from my local golf store. Best bargain around, and I'll be just as accurate and long as if I were to buy this years "whatever" that costs 400$.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463
    I was consistantly 120mph swing, 160 mph ball speed...
    And you just started playing golf?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfx811
    And you just started playing golf?
    Relativley speaking, yes. I became serious about golf around July/August '05, but before that I played Baseball for 20+ years. I didn't know anything about golf equipment until I started doing my research and decided I wanted to become a scratch golfer. I currently hold a 15.1 index, or so the online program tells me, but i usually play in the mid to high 80's.

Ft-3 regular, aldila nv 55 stiff

I have owned an FT-3 for about six weeks now following the theft of my clubs just before christmas and have nothing but praise for this club. Although I have a natural draw I decided that it was best keeping it neutral so I could work the ball instead of over compensating when a specific shot was needed.
    I am having a few problems at the moment when playing under windy conditions because the ball seems to keep a straight penetrating flight and If you can imagine aiming at the tall grass and landing in it at the end seems a little frustrating. I guess it will take some time to have the confidence to aim and trust that the ball will not be influenced too much by the wind and land in a less than desirable spot. My course is more of a links type with open areas throughout so the wind could be a big factor. Other than that I am 100% satisfied .
    My previous driver was in fact the old callaway fusion and what I like about this type of drivers is that the bite is much bigger that its bark. The sound of the driver does not determine its abiltity to go far as I found out when I borrowed a Cobra 440 sz. I think that I would have ended up deaf had I decided to have one of these drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463
    I became serious about golf around July/August '05, but before that I played Baseball for 20+ years. I didn't know anything about golf equipment until I started doing my research and decided I wanted to become a scratch golfer. I currently hold a 15.1 index, or so the online program tells me, but i usually play in the mid to high 80's.
    Reyes, I too became serious about golf last year after quiting roller hockey due to back problems. I've been averaging just over 1 round/week for the past year. I started off at about a 15 handicap and am now down to 10.1 (got to 9.3 last month, but drifted back up). I'm pretty confident I can get a little lower - but not sure about being a scratch golfer - that takes a ton of time practicing that short game... My putting would need LOTS of improvement too! Don't know my swing speed, but the Nike Launch Monitor clocked my ball speed at 160mph too. We're right up there w/ the women - like Michelle Wie ;)
    Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

San Luis Obispo County Rated #1 for Golf in California by Golf Digest

Nike SQ Tour 9.5* NV 7.5 Stiff
    Orlimar 14*/22* Tri-metal
    Nike 22* CPR Hybrid Stiff
    Ping ZING2 3-PW/SW
    Ben Hogan Riveria 58* LW
    Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT Putter

I just can't stand the look of the SQ, it scares me. Get the R7 HT, it's cheaper and I wouldnt get any other driver.
    My Bag:

[B]Driver:[/B] Taylormade R7 HT 10.5
    [B]5 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R7 TP 18.5
    [B]7 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R5 21
    [B]Hybrid[/B]: Taylormade Rescue Mid 25
    [B]Irons[/B]: Mizuno MP-60 4-PW
    [B]GW[/B]: Cleveland CG11 50
    [B]SW[/B]: Cleveland CG10 56
    [B]LW[/B]: Titliest Vokey SM 60
    [B]Putter(s[/B]): Scotty Cameron Mil Spec, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2
    [B]Bag:[/B]: Taylormade R7 Stand Bag
    [B]Shoes[/B]: Soon to be Adidas Tour 360's
    [B]Ball[/B]: Maxfli BlackMax

Quote Originally Posted by golfslo
    Reyes, I too became serious about golf last year after quiting roller hockey due to back problems. I've been averaging just over 1 round/week for the past year. I started off at about a 15 handicap and am now down to 10.1 (got to 9.3 last month, but drifted back up). I'm pretty confident I can get a little lower - but not sure about being a scratch golfer - that takes a ton of time practicing that short game... My putting would need LOTS of improvement too! Don't know my swing speed, but the Nike Launch Monitor clocked my ball speed at 160mph too. We're right up there w/ the women - like Michelle Wie ;)
    That's my goal for the one year anniversary, I have six months to get my index down to 10ish and break 80. Don't know if that's possible but I also play a round a week and I practice an aspect of the game everyday. I recently realized the amount of short game practice I need to get comfortable with certain shots, took me a week to nail down the 50 yarder. And I know I need to putt more. But....Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck with your game.

Thread Information