|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

PGA Driving Distances

Anyone else think the driving distances have exploded this year?

One stat:

456 drives already this year longer than 350 yards includding 15 longer than 400.

OK, that was two!

Anyway, at what point is the tour going to start doing something about it?

Seriously, holes are getting ridiculously long as it is.
    That kid today was on like crazy and hit nearly a dozen drives over 300 yards. Not much you can do about that.
    The winners on tour still have great short games and putt the lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    what could they do about it
    Stop ball development. Woods and Els have been saying it for years. Put restrictions on balls so they won't fly as far.

heres wat besson i think it was can learn from..... not a standardized ball, but more limitations on them, im sure that noone wants to all play the same ball..... the biggest thing though is that more and more younger guys are working their swings so they can hit it 300+ yrds more often.... but the one thing ppl ALWAYS overlook, is that the winner of every tourney (well almost everyone) has a great week with his short game...... distance doesnt win, the short game does, they just show us the long game more on TV because it gets more rave and more ppl watching.....
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

All that means is that the average stated driving distance for the kids posting on here will increase proportionately, so as to stay in the top 5% of the PGA averages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper6
    the one thing ppl ALWAYS overlook, is that the winner of every tourney (well almost everyone) has a great week with his short game...... distance doesnt win, the short game does, they just show us the long game more on TV because it gets more rave and more ppl watching.....
    If that were true than Augusta National wouldn't have been lengthened two or three times in the last 10 years.

Current money leaders:

1. Chad Campbell: 43rd in Driving (meaning he is long, 295 avg)
    2. Stuart Appleby: Hit the 2n'd longest drive of the year, 426 yards)
    3. David Toms (goes to your idea)
    4. JB Holmes: 2nd in driving distance, 313 yard average.
    5. Tiger Woods
    6. Vijay Singh (both need no comment)
    7. Scott Verplank (finally another, only a 287 yard average)
    8. Rory Sabbatini (300 yard average)
    9. Nathan Green: 133 rank in driving
    10. Jesper Parnevick (294 yard average)

And 11 is Lucas Glover.

Doesn't really seem to bare out your hypothesis.

Looking over the stats (all of the categories) it appears that the best formula for winning is to drive the ball 300 yards, and learn to putt.

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdwithca
    Stop ball development. Woods and Els have been saying it for years. Put restrictions on balls so they won't fly as far.
    however, if they did stop ball development and create balls that dont fly as far, it would take players months to re-learn all their distances and shot types and such. and that would be weak because then the PGA tour would seriously be lame for a while. plus think of it this way, according to myself, "chicks dig the longball"
    GOULET!!!

[QUOTE=Sandpiper6]heres wat besson i think it was can learn from..... QUOTE]

Please speak english so we can understand you.

Can you believe J.B Holmes?

4 iron from 258 yards? Pitching Wedge from 170? 3-wood 300+?

What the hell?
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy

What the hell?

are you sure about the 170+ PW???

and the 3 wood he hit flew 295..rolled about 300

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    are you sure about the 170+ PW???

and the 3 wood he hit flew 295..rolled about 300
    i know i'm sure he hit the PW on 16 yesterday. he hit it fat and i went into the greenside bunker. and dont be too technical, the 3 wood went 300 and thats all that matters.
    GOULET!!!

One stat:

456 drives already this year longer than 350 yards includding 15 longer than 400.

OK, that was two!

I don't really count the drives in Hawaii just yet as total evidence, the altitudes and tee to fairway/hole drops out there are like hitting the ball in Colorado like they are in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by PHSgolfguy
    i know i'm sure he hit the PW on 16 yesterday. he hit it fat and i went into the greenside bunker. and dont be too technical, the 3 wood went 300 and thats all that matters.

what if there was water to carry 298 yards out..and he broke all his drivers with his Massive swing..then it would matter..

One day #16 was playing 178 yards and he still hit PW.. incredible.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by jgc99
    I don't really count the drives in Hawaii just yet as total evidence, the altitudes and tee to fairway/hole drops out there are like hitting the ball in Colorado like they are in baseball.
    What elevation are you refering to? Hawaii is at like Sea Level! It's like this island in the middle the Pacific Ocean. Ya think Pearl Harbor is at the same elevation as Denver do ya?

idiot.... he meant tee to green..... werent you paying attention?!?!?!? every post ive read of yours in the last two days have all been negative and totally way off....... your a moron.... it was soooo far up and down to each green, the closest to flat was like 10-15 yrds downhill.... and it was nvr less than 20-30mph windspeed.....

Yeah, that's sadly no misprint. He delofts the hell out of it, but really that doesn't matter cause it's still going 178 yards. I was stunned when I saw it and I turned on Tiger Woods 06 just so I could see if it was possible. Sure enough, a full powered up swing when all stats are maxxed out goes about 175-180 depending on the wind. (4 mph into the face went 177, 6 at my back went 189, so give or take it's about right)

So lo and behold - We're watching a man who has the distance as a maxxed out video game golfer. Once he gets used to the Tour's conditions, I expect nothing less than rounds in the mid to low 50's, and even some in the 40's.

. Once he gets used to the Tour's conditions, I expect nothing less than rounds in the mid to low 50's, and even some in the 40's.
    lol, highly doubt that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Yeah, that's sadly no misprint. He delofts the hell out of it, but really that doesn't matter cause it's still going 178 yards. I was stunned when I saw it and I turned on Tiger Woods 06 just so I could see if it was possible. Sure enough, a full powered up swing when all stats are maxxed out goes about 175-180 depending on the wind. (4 mph into the face went 177, 6 at my back went 189, so give or take it's about right)

So lo and behold - We're watching a man who has the distance as a maxxed out video game golfer. Once he gets used to the Tour's conditions, I expect nothing less than rounds in the mid to low 50's, and even some in the 40's.
    That is one of the most funniest things I have ever read!
    Taylor Made R7 Superquad 9.5*
    Nickent 3dx 17* Aldila NV
    Mizuno MX-23 3-PW
    Taylor Made TP 54* & 58*
    Scotty Cameron Red X2 34" 340g

True, JB Holmes, Camillo Whateverhislastnameis were crushing the hell out of the ball. I think that is the game's future off the tee. This makes sense to me. What I don't think is very good is those same players taking the same approach with their irons. Camillo seems to try to force every club, often miss firing. He was trying to hit 250 yard 5 irons and 170 yard 9 irons. What's up with that? Doesn't he carry a freakin' 4 iron in his bag?
    JB was pretty amazing to watch though. He only takes it back 3/4 and pounds it as far as anyone. How 'bout him and Daly paired up in the Ryder Cup?

Now, the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but with the guys that are driving over 300yrds, don't you have to subtrack about 10-20% b/c of the roll. They're actual carry distance would be somewhere between 270-290.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463
    Now, the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but with the guys that are driving over 300yrds, don't you have to subtrack about 10-20% b/c of the roll. They're actual carry distance would be somewhere between 270-290.
    Probably correct, but some of the guys are carrying the ball well over 300. Sometimes the announcers will talk about a bunker being 300+ to carry and the guys blast right over it. JB was carrying the ball 325ish on the big hits. Someone's going to mention elevation changes and altitude having something to do with it, but not me.

heres wat besson i think it was can learn from..... not a standardized ball, but more limitations on them, im sure that noone wants to all play the same ball..... the biggest thing though is that more and more younger guys are working their swings so they can hit it 300+ yrds more often.... but the one thing ppl ALWAYS overlook, is that the winner of every tourney (well almost everyone) has a great week with his short game...... distance doesnt win, the short game does, they just show us the long game more on TV because it gets more rave and more ppl watching.....
    You are out of your mind.... the longest hitters do win more often if you think that distance doesn't matter you are crazy. Look at the top five Woods, Vejay, Phil, Ernie, and Rateef they all kill the ball and have a short game to match. They wouldn't win as often if they didn't kill it down "towards" the hole.

Or maybe the PGA could allow rough on the courses so the players couldnt just wail away? I watched the Buick on TV and it didnt seem to make any difference if the golfers hit the fairway or were 60 yards over in the so called rough.

idiot.... he meant tee to green..... werent you paying attention?!?!?!? every post ive read of yours in the last two days have all been negative and totally way off....... your a moron.... it was soooo far up and down to each green, the closest to flat was like 10-15 yrds downhill.... and it was nvr less than 20-30mph windspeed.....
    Mommy take your chocolate milk away again?

The Sony is not a long bomb driving course. You might want to go read something before you shoot your mouth off. Although, then you might learn something....and I understand that hurts when your so young....and dumb!

wow.....way to make urself sound even more retarded? got ne thing else other than "did your mommy....." way to be imaginative......when u can prove to me you know how to play golf and beat me.....maybe ill take you semi-seriously...

One stat:

OK, that was two!

Why does "something" have to be done? How many people REALLY enjoy seeing guys like J.B Holmes knock the daylights out the golf ball. Personally I find it very entertaining to see a talented golfer that can hit it long and straight.

What really amazed me was his 250 yard shot with a 4 IRON!

That was just unreal!

What elevation are you refering to? Hawaii is at like Sea Level! It's like this island in the middle the Pacific Ocean. Ya think Pearl Harbor is at the same elevation as Denver do ya?
    There were some holes that were not only downwind but had a lot of downhill roll, so drives of high 300's and greater were not rare, even at sea level. Colorado at 5000+ feet is another issue entirely, with thin air, plus I'm told the wind can blow there, too. Basically, with a combination of wind and slope, +/- high elevation, it's possible to get some unbelieveably long drives that even the longest of the big hitters could never do on most other courses.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 02-07-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

does he put some effort into his swing, i didnt see the tournament, i know tiger swing effortlessly i was watching dubai and he he a 254 yard 4 iron and drove a 353 yard green and actually hit it to the back so it was about 360-365 mazing

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy

What the hell?
    He'd almost make the top 20 in the "Distances" thread.

258 yd 4 iron ?

A pro golfer (or most any scratch golfer) can usually do the same as JB. Its NOT just power....its delofting the club to turn it into a 1 or 2 iron AND ALL THAT POWER !

Tiger was famous for doing such things. They can literally take a 2 iron and deloft it so much, it has the ZERO to 2 degree's loft, if the lie is clean and the ball is sitting up, it will go a freakin MILE ! The hard part is NOT curving it too much either way, very, very hard to not draw or fade it when swinging that hard. The impact zone where the club head is actually square to the line of aim is only around 1/8- 1/16 of an inch in the described arc. When you introduce that much power and deloft it that much, its almost impossible to hit a straight ball. BUT it can be done, if your good at it like JB !
    I saw the blimp camera view overhead and the ball JB hit was damned near straight with a super, ever so slight draw.

All I can say, is WOW ! Pretty soon I think you'll see someone at all tournaments get into the high 50's for at least 1 round. It will render the golf courses as we know them, as easy shooting galleries.

John Daly
    Bubba Watson
    JB Holmes

the new three amigo's !

Thread Information