|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

High ball flight irons

I have a friend, about a 16-20 handicap, who has a very low ball flight. Something to do with his shoulders, which he has just had surgery on, but bottom line is, he can barely get the ball in the air. He needs the highest launching irons possible (and his budget is rather limited). Suggestions?

Shop for a game improvement iron with a low CG and some "light low kick point shafts". The shaft will make the largest difference for what you need. Graphite should be considered of course. Simple enough.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Try and find some Tm rac os2 irons on ebay. Clubs are so cheap there and I have the rac os2's and trust me, the ball goes very high. I don't know if its my swing speed but I know for a fact that they are intended to go hiiiiiiiigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shteeve
    I have a friend, about a 16-20 handicap, who has a very low ball flight. Something to do with his shoulders, which he has just had surgery on, but bottom line is, he can barely get the ball in the air. He needs the highest launching irons possible (and his budget is rather limited). Suggestions?

One set that your friend shouldconsider is Cobra's 3400I/xh irons. They are made specificly to get the ball higher easier. The senior version comes with a special graphite shft designed for slow swingers. It is a very light shaft, have a look and tell your mate about them. http://www.cobragolf.co.uk/irons/details.asp?id=8

TOM
    "1 PUTTS PREFFERED!"

Hogan Edge CFT
    Nike Slingshot OSS
    MacG 455

Or just get the current irons reshafted. Maybe a True Temper XT-90 reg flex?

It may be worth demoing the Ping G2 or the newer G5 model, they are supposed to provide a higher launch. The also have the G2 HL, which stands for High Launch in the 2-5i, which is kind of a iron~Hybrid mix, very wide sole. Usually when you pick a G2 set it is no problem to swap out whatever irons between a 2-5 for the HL's. The 6-LW are still designed for a High Launch though.

Personally I couldn't stand the look of the club at setup, but if launch angle where a problem, I probably would have overlooked this part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shteeve
    He absolutely can't go wrong with Top Flite Tours in graphite which can be had on ebay for less than $100 or direct from 3Balls at $149. These get the ball up really easily and they are LONG. They look great at address (thin top line) and are VERY forgiving. In short, best deal in golf equipment I've ever seen. They'd be worth it at 3 times the price in my book.

get him to get some advice from a pro. If he struggles to get the ball in the air he obviously needs a bit of help with his swing. Even with restrictions he should be able to work something out.

I agree with the last post - a pro could help establish better launch conditions. Regarding the irons, I would suggest anything by Cobra. Were he looking for something cheap, the CXI's, an older CB from Cobra are about the highest hitting irons I have ever tried (I played them for 2 seasons). If he is looking for something new for a reasonable price, there is a Canadian company called JAZZ. They make some great equipment, but it is sold at exceptionably good prices (they don't market) - you could always take a look at their website http://www.jazzgolf.com - their GI stuff is super easy to hit.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Another vote for Hogan Edge CFTs. The undercut channel certainly gets the ball up. Your friend could also look for a second hand set of Callaway X12s which hit the ball very high. If your friend goes for the graphite version he/she will find the regular shafts quite soft with a low kick point.

All great suggestions. I have tried myself to see what he is doing and haven't been able to pick it up; it may be as simple as delofting the head. I don't think I'll be able to convince him to try a pro - he's just too tight and really does have limited funds (I'm buying these clubs for him).

I know it may seem that I'm ignoring all the good suggestions, but based largely on reviews on this site I've purchased some TaylorMade 360's. They appear to be a compromise between something that will help him now, yet something he should be able to play even if his game improves.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thread Information