|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Golf in Orlando ?

I'll be in Orlando in two weeks and want to play a couple rounds.

What are the nice courses to play as a tourist (regardless of price), and which are the nicest affordable ones?

Thanks.

Phil

Too many to list

Quote Originally Posted by philfrance
    I'll be in Orlando in two weeks and want to play a couple rounds.

What are the nice courses to play as a tourist (regardless of price), and which are the nicest affordable ones?

Thanks.

Phil

Metro West, Orange County National, Celebration, Disney Courses, Shingle Creek...

Cheap ones are Remington, Kissimee Bay, Dubsdread, Casselberry...

Some have one price that covers your round plus food and even more golf after. Look in the Sports section of the Orlando Sentinel for great deals at all the local courses.

If you don't mind the drive... Diamondback in Haynes City is great. As is the Legends and Kings Ridge in Clermont.

Other than those you really can't go wrong with what WilsonPlayer said. I'd also add Falcons Fire to that list too.

Thanks for the info.

If there was one signature course to play in Orlando- which would you recommend?

If there was one 'affordable' course to play in the area...which one?

How far from the Disney World resort area ( i'll have a rental car)

Have you played at Plantation Bay in the Daytona Beach area?

Signature course ... Bay Hill. I don't think you can get on there unless you're a guest of the lodge. Aside from there, Orange County National and Metro West. I've never played OCN, but its supposed to be one of the best. MetroWest is awesome but you pay a good amount, especially in the winter.

I don't know what counts as "affordable" these days but you can probably get on lots of courses for under $50.

You cannot play Bay Hill unless you are staying there, I tried earlier this month.

Don't make the same mistake I made, book ahead. The only round I booked prior to going out was at Grand Cypress as we were staying there, and it had torential downpours so they closed the course for the day. The two courses I did play were more on the budget side, were a little outside of Orlando, but they were the only ones where I could get a time on a day or twos notice.

I ended up playing Forest Lake which was maybe 20~30 minutes out, and DeBary which was maybe 30~40 minutes. If I remember correctly they were both between $50-70 on the weekend and were well worth the money. Not the best courses I have played, but I would play either one again. I think I liked Forest Lake a little better. If you go, have change for tolls anywhere in Orlando, but specifically at Forest Lake, when we tryed to get back on the Toll road coming back from Forest Lake, they only had an EZ Pass and Exact Change lanes (no bills), I had to go through my Luggage to find 50 cents.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 02-21-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Ritz Carlton - Nice course but not worth $200+... If you are flexible with the tee time, you can get a great deal on a tee time at ezlinks.com
    OCN Golf - Two really nice courses for $120 - 150 right now.
    Victoria Hills - Great course for around $100.
    All 5 Disney Courses - Not worth the money... I have never paid over $50 and wouldn't.
    I would check out Falcon's Fire or Mystic Dunes if you are staying near Disney - not sure of their rates right now.

If you are trying to stay under $60, try these courses:
    Black Bear
    Harmony Golf Preserve
    StoneyBrook East or West
    Eagle Dunes

If you are going to play in Daytona, I would play LPGA International. I prefer the legends course but the Champions course is more of a 'Florida' layout.

-Mark

Diamond Players Club in Clermont is a nice course also. It's got a lot of elevation changes, a nice change of pace for Florida golf.

I played the Palm Course while I was staying at Disney last summer. I cost me $45 to play & $55 for the club rental. It was a pretty decent course & I really enyoyed myself other than it being so damn hot (90*). They had a Scotty Studio Stainless in the set & after about 9 holes I started to roll everything into the cup. I bought one after I got back home.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Just follwing up here.

I did play in Orlando last week. Since staying at the Mariott, I was able to play their premium courses for $108 per round including cart with GPS.

THe first course I played was Hawks Landing - actually pleasant to play, excellent condition (though greens were slghtly slow) - but overall unexcting - I recommend playing it if you're staying at the mariott and don't want to drive - but wouldn't recommend going there if you have a choice of going elsewhere. SHot 80 with 1 OB and 2 three putts.

The other course I played was Grande Pines - I loved it - very interesting layout, greens were relatively fast and required strategic shots to the green - to play well, you needed to think out nearly every shot ( this isn't always necessary, but helps greatly here).

I shot an 87 with 8 on a par 3 ( didn't even lose a ball, but had rental Callaway X18s, which were not my favorite, but the sandwedge is like a shovel on short fairways). Paying well, I don't think I would have broken 80 - even after several rounds.

Thread Information