|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The club I started with

For all you guys that think the modern day blades are hard to hit, think again! While rooting through the garage yesterday i found the 7 iron i started playing golf with. It's made by NorthWestern Golf from 1975 and so is 16 years older than me! I hit it on the course and it goes about as far as my normal 7-iron which is amazing for the amount of rust and everything on it. It did show me that distances are all in the golf ball just like one Mr.Nicklaus has ranted about for years!( not that i agree with him). It sent a nice shock up the arm when you don't pure it but when you do, it's real 'butta feel'
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    For all you guys that think the modern day blades are hard to hit, think again! While rooting through the garage yesterday i found the 7 iron i started playing golf with. It's made by NorthWestern Golf from 1975 and so is 16 years older than me! I hit it on the course and it goes about as far as my normal 7-iron which is amazing for the amount of rust and everything on it. It did show me that distances are all in the golf ball just like one Mr.Nicklaus has ranted about for years!( not that i agree with him). It sent a nice shock up the arm when you don't pure it but when you do, it's real 'butta feel'
    I still have my first ever club, a JC Higgins five iron, blade, original shaft, but regripped. I bought if for 25 cents when I was a kid, early 60s. I learned to hit with it..can still hit it well!

Northwestern clubs sold for next to nothing at places like Kmart, WesternAuto, Sears, MontyWard, etc. They were considered a driving range club. A great set of irons from the 60's & 70's were made by Wilson, Hogan....sheeesh! Brain fart. Can't remember any more, but there were quite a few top line club makers back then, I can remember club names like Haig Ultra's, First Flight...ahhh MacGregor Tourney(MT Tourney's). They all made entry level clubs too and they could also be found at your Kmarts and Sears stores. A brand spanking new set of Wilson Staff irons(2-pw/their top of the line clubs) would set you back about $160 in the late 60's.

The first club I ever hit was an old rusty PW my dad had lying around. I think its still hidden away in the garage somewere. It was a right handed and i changed to left handed clubs when i got my first set from Canadian Tire.

I went into fits of ecstasy when my folks got me a set of clubs when I was in about 5th or 6th grade. They were Cary Middlecoff model Wilsons: persimmon driver and 3 wood, 3, 5, 7, 9 irons, and a putter. I was king of the world!!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

While I haven't been playing the game as long as some of you other guys, I did start out using my dad's clubs about 15 years ago. I can't remember what brand they were, but they probably originally came in hickory shafts! I played the persimmon woods until the string on the hosel came unraveled and the club head rattled.
    When I bought my first set (some Arnold Palmer set that came with 3-pw, 1, 3, 5 metal woods), I thought I was playing a whole new game. Who knew that irons were supposed to get airborn?
    Last edited by Horseballs; 02-28-2006 at 12:31 PM.

my

my first set was in mid teens, Northwestern, beginner set, had 1,3,5 woods, 3,5,7,9 irons and a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    my first set was in mid teens, Northwestern, beginner set, had 1,3,5 woods, 3,5,7,9 irons and a putter.
    You lucky dog! You got a 5 wood, too!!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

My first club was some extremely crappy putter from like the late 80's lol. It was sitting around my house.
    My Bag:

[B]Driver:[/B] Taylormade R7 HT 10.5
    [B]5 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R7 TP 18.5
    [B]7 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R5 21
    [B]Hybrid[/B]: Taylormade Rescue Mid 25
    [B]Irons[/B]: Mizuno MP-60 4-PW
    [B]GW[/B]: Cleveland CG11 50
    [B]SW[/B]: Cleveland CG10 56
    [B]LW[/B]: Titliest Vokey SM 60
    [B]Putter(s[/B]): Scotty Cameron Mil Spec, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2
    [B]Bag:[/B]: Taylormade R7 Stand Bag
    [B]Shoes[/B]: Soon to be Adidas Tour 360's