|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

taylormade still makes golf balls??

How much difference does the ball make?

I was playing a round with my Dad (who is a single figure handicapper - unlike me) and half way through the round he declared that the Taylor Made ball he was using was much too hard for him and he changed to a Titleist and offered the TM ball to me.

I can't feel whether a ball is soft or hard and usually just buy the cheapest Top Flite balls because my balls are magnetically drawn to water and other hazards and I tend to lose a few. When I have bought more expensive ones I tend to lose them more quickly then the cheap ones and can't tell the difference anyway!

A few holes later I thought I had pulled my Drive out of bounds so I hit the TM as a provisional and smoked a beatiful slight draw down the middle. My 1st ball wasn't out of bounds so I picked up the TM. However I decided to use it on the next hole, the 17th, a par 5 and hit another great drive down the middle. I then smoked a 3 wood to within a couple of yards of the front of the green. Unusual for me.

The 18th was a par three so I didn't hit another drive all day.

I haven't had a chance to play since and it may have just been a fluke but do you guys find that different balls affect your distance/accuracy?

yes

yes, balls do affect your game. A higher handicap player tends to like the rocklike balls - they are two piece, and designed to have lower spin. This is a good thing for those who slice or hook - the low spin reduces this to a pull or push. A low spin high handicap ball can be a good thing for a lower handicap player in stiff wind though.

Balls can be made for higher or lower trajectory and for differing spin. High spin balls nowadays are optimized for iron play - they still spin less when hit with the driver.

The optimal distance and spin ball is the venerable Tileist Pro V 1X.

You should investigate golf ball review sites. The differences among balls is real, and its pretty amazing.

Remember though, no matter what kind of ball you choose: NEVER lick your balls to clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    That makes two of us, I can't recall ever seeing a Taylor Made golf ball before.

That said different golf balls - whether they have different core diameters, covers, two-piece or multi-layer, low-compression, etc. - will all vary in performance based on the player, skill level, swing speed, golf clubs used, etc. The ball is simply one part of an overall larger process that dictates performance. And don't forget the mental aspect of it and your level of confidence. Play well with one specific brand of golf ball and that might boost your confidence level, which will lead to better play.

Here is an interesting article on the topic from Golf Digest, September 2003:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_106995762

A good ball is like forged irons - they don't make you play better, but they do feel better.

There is a difference in performance between a premium ball and a standard cheap ball - distance, spin, feel, but hard to tell how that adds up on the score card.

The same applies between the same ball, when new and used.

I would say it can possibly (not necessarily)represent up to 2 strokes in a good round?

Brands/models of balls are a personal preference, but generally speaking the better golfer you are the more likely that you'll be able to tell the subtle differences between the balls. Using that subtle difference will allow you to pick the best ball that suits your game.

About the most you can expect a higher handicapper to notice is general hardness, distance and maybe sound.

"That makes two of us, I can't recall ever seeing a Taylor Made golf ball before."

Yep, they came in hard plastic tubes with lids, 3 balls per tube, 4 tubes per dozen. Taylor made claimed that humidity if the main culprit in underperforming golfballs and that fresh balls were better. No bullchit.

See the reviews thread: http://www.golfreview.com/cat/balls/...4_2943crx.aspx

I found one

I found one this past fall while playing, played it a couple holes til I lost it. Was a decent ball.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    "That makes two of us, I can't recall ever seeing a Taylor Made golf ball before."

Yep, they came in hard plastic tubes with lids, 3 balls per tube, 4 tubes per dozen. Taylor made claimed that humidity if the main culprit in underperforming golfballs and that fresh balls were better. No bullchit.
    Doesn't TaylorMade/Adidas own the Maxfli brand? I think TM is launching a line of balls sometime soon, but don't quote me. I believe I heard it from that fat guy who loves equipment on The Golf Channel...
    I also remember the TM balls from years ago. They tried to market them as being optimal for their new Burner drivers.

I saw the same ones...pick one up from time to time. Yup, they are a part of the Maxfli/Adidas team, so I would imagine Maxfli would be handling the ball.

As for teh difference of particular balls, I would tend to agree with everythign so far. Being a mid handicapper, I still miss off the tee from time to time. I have noticed that certain balls drive better for me than others, and have had to weigh that benefit against the performance off the irons and wedges, as well as the feel and behaviour on the greens. About the happiest medium I've found so far is the Ben Hogan Hawk. I plan to give the HX Hot and the e6 a try this year, but would happily stick with the Hawk. It spins less than the Rev Tours I like on the greens, but it also spins less off the driver, helping the drives stay in play more often.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Balls definitely affect the game. Without a ball, it is harder to get distance off the driver, or sink a putt. And bunker shots? Forget about it......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG

They were called the Intergel.

As Horseballs said, Maxfli is a Taylor Made Golf Company.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk

You're right. I remember Taylormade actually put their name on balls a few years ago, but they were never all that popular. They bought Maxfli largely for their ballmaking division.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk

Actually I think it was "Inergel," but regardless, that was like 10 years ago... So my first advice for the guy who started this thread is this - don't use balls made 10 years ago.

TaylorMade used to make a ball called....TaylorMade InerGel....It was a 3 pc ball that they claimed to have a gel like core. It can still be found here and there, but for the most part there are not around no more.

Cover first

The thing I tend to notice most is the cover. Expensive balls have Urethane covers that are soft and grip the club better. Result: More spin into the green. Cheaper balls have hard (usually Surilyn (sic?)) covers that last forever (or until you hit it into a lake) but spin less. There are some other materials that tend to compromise.

I like low compression balls, but I can't swear that they lower my score. Multilayer balls aim to please both hard hits (which compresses the outer layer and hence the hit is domainated by the inner core) and soft hits (which does not compress it and hence the outer layer dominates). How much this actually helps one's game is beyond me to determine.

If price is your concern, keep your eyes open for specials at gofl shops, especially models soon-to-be-outdated. I always check for Urethane-covered, low-comp, multi-layer construction and can often get them for under $15/dz.

there taylormade intergel. I had some before, the plastic tube they came in was clean and brown. Actually i think there might be one or two in the woods behind my house.

Actually I think it was "Inergel," but regardless, that was like 10 years ago... So my first advice for the guy who started this thread is this - don't use balls made 10 years ago.
    You are correct!!! I actually have one of the 3 ball Plastic sleeves in my golf bag that I kept to hold Golf Balls for night time play. It is "Inergel".

yeah, i agree with u now..my bad

Quote Originally Posted by swartzd

What am I supposed to "see" when I get there?

I had no idea when my Dad handed it over that it was a ten year old ball!

I just assumed being TM it would be top of the line and EXPENSIVE!!!

I'll take it out on my local course this Saturday. If I slice it into the pond on the second like I usually do with my Top Flites I'll know it was all in the mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    i use the same idea. i bought some balls from sportcheck called the BULLET lol.
    I notice a lot of you use "lol" in your posts. Please enlighten me what this stands for?

Quote Originally Posted by golfmar
    Remember though, no matter what kind of ball you choose: NEVER lick your balls to clean them.
    In my first golfing life 15 years ago I played with a guy who put the whole thing in his mouth to clean it!!! He even did it on a course that was covered in sheep sh*t!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I notice a lot of you use "lol" in your posts. Please enlighten me what this stands for?
    It can stand for "laugh out loud" or "lots of laughs". "LOL" (in caps) stands for "lots of love", according to my impeccable sources........(I asked the same question a couple of years ago)

I had no idea when my Dad handed it over that it was a ten year old ball!

I just assumed being TM it would be top of the line and EXPENSIVE!!!

I'll take it out on my local course this Saturday. If I slice it into the pond on the second like I usually do with my Top Flites I'll know it was all in the mind!

This is a case where ignorance truelly is bliss ;) . Now that you know the pedigree of this ball you played so well last outing, you will no longer be hitting it with the idea in your mind that it is a great ball, and will lose it on the front nine...it is the way of the universe...had you not said anything about it, you probably could have got half a season out of it...alas, kiss it's 10 year old a$$ good-bye. The same thing happens to me...I find a swing improvement, come on here to discuss it with more knowledgeable golfers, confirm its validity, then go back to the cousre feeling good about myself...problem is I've forgotten the fix by the time I get there
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Taylor Made A3 Golf Balls

To all you Turkeys who gave me a hard time about using a 10 year old ball here it is. It seems that some of you who said TM had bought Maxfli were right.

Taylormade A3 Golf Balls
    Superior distance and exceptional playability. Two piece technology and a 442 dimple pattern provide wing resistance, high launch trajectory for distance and a stable ball flight for control. The largest solid core golf ball Maxfli has ever made provides extremely low driver spin, for maximum ball speed and distance. Low compression core and soft surlyn cover combine exceptional feel and playability around the greens.

To all you Turkeys who gave me a hard time about using a 10 year old ball here it is. It seems that some of you who said TM had bought Maxfli were right.

Taylormade A3 Golf Balls
    Superior distance and exceptional playability. Two piece technology and a 442 dimple pattern provide wing resistance, high launch trajectory for distance and a stable ball flight for control. The largest solid core golf ball Maxfli has ever made provides extremely low driver spin, for maximum ball speed and distance. Low compression core and soft surlyn cover combine exceptional feel and playability around the greens.
    The A3 is a Maxfli ball. Although TM owns the Maxfli brand, the ball is branded Maxfli. B.T.W., that ball is now being sold as the Revolution Solid and packaged in two dozen bundles for about $20. It's a real high flyer and kind of firm. Not real impressive.

Funny you ask because they stopped with intergel (or was it inergel? anyhew) a number of yrs ago, and now soon are getting back into it.
    I can't remember which pro, but 1 (only 1) is trying it in play now.

Because balls have a very definite impact on game, you need to simply analize which part of game you need to improve on the most (sorry you can only pick one!) and then decide.

Pro v1' are great...for the right player. For a wicked slicer high handicapper, thinking hmm? higher priced balls will probably help me. Nooooooooooooo! The high spin characteristics will exaggerate your swing.
    If it is a slice, it will become a wicked wicked wicked slice.
    If you have improved to a better control golfer, and want a little more playability, then i.e. a titleist nxt would give u more spin, but still keep fairly straight with good distance.
    Etc. Hope this helps.
    Pick that worst part of game i.e. distance, get distance ball, control, get 3 piece, in middle i.e. nxt tour or distance. Cheers Eh!

This is a little off topic, but relates to this conversation. I just saw some Maxfli A-10 clubs in Dicks Sporting Goods the other day for the first time. Darn cheap clubs. Anyone know if Taylor Made puts their R&D into the Maxfli clubs. May be a cheap way to score some decent clubs.

Thread Information