|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Somebody school me on Rifle shafts...

Does anybody here play them? If so, what are your impressions? Better than DG? About the same?

I was toying with the idea of trying the Project X or the Flighted shafts in my new irons when I get them.

All opinions/ideas are welcome

L8

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    Does anybody here play them? If so, what are your impressions? Better than DG? About the same?

I was toying with the idea of trying the Project X or the Flighted shafts in my new irons when I get them.

All opinions/ideas are welcome

L8
    I currently have the Project X and played rifles in my previous irons. The X's play a lot stiffer at the same flex # than any other shaft I've played. I've happy my club fitter talked me into stepping down on the flex! For me, they produce a lower ball flight with very little twisting at impact. Distance isn't lacking, but isn't the selling point of these shafts. It's really tough for me to say exactly though, as I have only played the project x in my current irons, so the overall characteristics might be attributable to both my irons and shafts.
    The one thing about the Project X as I'm sure you know, is that they are very expensive. They also kind of look like graphite shafts as they aren't very shiny.

And, congrats on your low round! I think you'll see great things this year if you are already playing so well. I've got my first 18 hole round of the year on Saturday. Lassing Pointe!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    The one thing about the Project X as I'm sure you know, is that they are very expensive. They also kind of look like graphite shafts as they aren't very shiny.
    Yea, and I don't know if I'd like that or not. I'd have to hit them, I just haven't found any in stores..

And, congrats on your low round! I think you'll see great things this year if you are already playing so well.
    Thanks. I hope I can continue to improve at a steady rate.

I've got my first 18 hole round of the year on Saturday. Lassing Pointe!
    Nice. I definitely need to play there here soon.

I have Rifles in my current irons, and have been playing them for about a year now. The thing I like about the Rifles is that they have a wider selection of flexes to choose from. I actually play a softer flex than I would in the DGs, which seems kinda weird to me, but the feel is good and I'm just as consistent.

TheRod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

It's really a personal preference issue as to whether one prefers Rifles vs. DG's vs. other alternatives.

Rifles in general (but not the Project X's) have a bit softer tip than Dynamic Golds, so they feel softer and a bit smoother than Dynamic Golds. On the other hand, some complain that Rifles feel "dead"; I've never found that to be the case, personally. Rifles also have a bit lower kickpoint than DG's, so the trajectory could be slightly higher than DG's, but not by a wide margin.

Many prefer the feel of the Dynamic Golds because they like the tighter, controlled sensation.

To each his/her own.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_URI
    http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_UDGI

Project X's are lighter weight, but play stiff to flex vs. other Rifles. They really like to be "ground loaded" but hitting down decisively and feel best if the person takes a significant divot. They feel quite harsh if the shot is hit thin at all. If you are more of a sweeper than a divot taker with your irons, you will probably do better with other choices than Project X's.
    They are also quite pricey.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_RP0006S

Rifle Flighted shafts use a progressive change in the kickpoint through the set to make it easier to hit the longer irons.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_UTFRI

Lots of options out there, including the lighter weight Dynamic Gold and Rifles, plus others. Good luck
    Last edited by dorkman53; 03-08-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thanks for the info Dorkman.

The more I read up on them, the more I tend to believe that the DG's that come with the irons I'm interested in would be just fine for me.

It's all preference in the end I guess.

ive tried both, and play DG S300s in my taylormade irons, i love the feel/weight of the shafts, ive tried the rifles and the only real difference to be is they look pretty kool, and theyve always felt lighter, which is exactly not what im looking for in an iron, but that may just have been the set of irons i tried (my friend's), so they most likely are able to make them "heavier"
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Rifle

I play Rifle Tour Flighted, I love them, feel is great. Ball flight is nice

Rifle PX is much stiffer than other rifle/dg shafts

Rifle 5.8 is = DG S

I play Rifle Project X in XS and absolutely love them. If your swing can handle stiff, consistent shafts, by all means...GET EM ! They are the best money you'll spend.

Q: How will you know if your swing can handle the stiffer shafts ?
    A: after your first round with them, if your hands develop any new sore spots, blisters, they are probably too stiff for you.

NOT to say you wont need some new callous points, you will, definitely. But it shouldnt be a painful endeavour.

As your swing improves, so does the stiffness of the shaft you can swing. Just like sex, stiffer is better !...ooops...Did I say that or think that ?

Thread Information