|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

golf club fitting

I would like to hear some opinions on golf club fitting. I have an appointment to be fit at a place in Scottsdale, AZ, next week. But I don't know if it would be worth the time and money. One minute I think that it might help and the next minute I think that it's just a big waste and that really all that matters is the golf swing. The clubs I have now I've had for 10 years or so and the local pro just ordered them from Titlest 2 degrees upright (DCI's) my woods are Cobra and are not 2 degrees upright. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by muligan
    I would like to hear some opinions on golf club fitting. I have an appointment to be fit at a place in Scottsdale, AZ, next week. But I don't know if it would be worth the time and money. One minute I think that it might help and the next minute I think that it's just a big waste and that really all that matters is the golf swing. The clubs I have now I've had for 10 years or so and the local pro just ordered them from Titlest 2 degrees upright (DCI's) my woods are Cobra and are not 2 degrees upright. Thanks.
    The whole idea behind fitting your clubs is to optimize them to your swing and physical dimensions. Clubs are generally standardized for people who fall between a certain height minimum and maximum. Fitting takes your height into account, setting your clubs at a length that promotes the optimal stance at address - spine angle and and balance being major concerns here, but it also addresses the lie of your clubs, the grip size, and, obviously, the flex. The importance of these items depends on how seriously you play the game, and what you are willing to spend to use equipment that is set up to give you the best performance for your shape and swing. I have had my last two sets of irons fitted and while I don`t plan to switch my current irons anytime soon, I would not use non-fit clubs again. Because I knew the dimensions I wanted, I had only to pay for the materials for this last fitting and no fee, but I also knew certain things that I prefered for my set-up. Having a tendancy to pull, for instance, I avoided the suggested upright lie and actually had my clubs flattened a degree. Because I have big hands, standard grips move around in my hands - the difference between hitting a club with standard versus a club with medium grips is amazing. Personally, I would rank fitting up there with lessons - a key ingredient to improving your game.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

I'm actually going for my first ever fitting next weekend also and have been researching it a bit lately. If you are planning on buying a new set of irons (which is what I'm doing), then I don't see any reason to not get fitted. The cost of the fitting (I got quotes between $40 and $80) is usually applied to the cost of the clubs, and the manufacturers do not charge any more to make the clubs to your specs. You end up paying the same price you would pay if you bought them off the shelf from the same golf shop. Granted, you could get a better deal on ebay, but that's another thread entirely.

Thanks for the replys, I think that I'll keep the appointment and see what happens.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I can't recommend fitting highly enough. I purchased a number of woods on Ebay but the shafts were unsuitable. 2 hours later I had a recommendation. The woods were transformed.

Fitting makes a huge differance, especially when selecting shafts

Thread Information