|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Most Annoying people to play with are..

Hey Guys
    I had a round at my local course http://www.bayviewgolfclub.com/ today with a mate of mine, and i can honestly say i will not be playing with my "Mate" again! ,On the 1st tee i got my driver out and proceeded to take a few practice swings, i then stepped up to the ball ,i was about to hit when i hear my "mate" taking practice swings , i turned and gave him the "look" he stared back at me totally oblivious to what he was doing ,so i started my routine again , sure enough just as i was in my back swing he starts his swing again, i had already committed myself to the shot and couldn't pull out , my shot was fat and short ,i was pissed ! But that wasn't the worst part, the worst was when he continued his practice swing antics at the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th holes, after he hit his tee shot on the 5th i had a quiet word with him, he apologized and all was well. When we arrived at the 6th i again did my usual 3 practice swings, then in my backswing something weird happened it was as if my "mates" practice swing antics could'nt be restrained and took on the form of his voice, **** started to fly from his mouth he was going on about the weather ,what club tigers uses etc etc etc ,it was insane! but what was even more insane was that he continued his motor mouth antics for the entire round !! I now wish i had never alerted him to his practice swing antics ! What do you guys reckon the most annoying trait on the golf course is ??

I've had several rather unpleasant to amusing episodes joining up with lawyers. First, one of my good friends is a lawyer, and he's fine. He's very hard on himself, but very pleasant. But other lawyers I've joined up on random group assignments have been real jerks. A common theme seems to be an ultra-competitive personality with a tendency to call attention to their good shots and make all sorts of excuses for poor shots. They also love to give "left handed compliments" to other people's good shots, to point out their own perceived superiority. "That's not a bad shot. Pretty good distance, considering you were hitting from the blue tees"......"I'm a really long hitter, but I'm getting over major surgery"......On a 140 yard par 3, "I'm not sure whether to use my sand wedge or pitching wedge on this hole".....They also love to talk about themselves, but have no interest in asking anyone else in the group about anything going on in their life. The last time I played with one of these vermin, I had seen this personality type often enough to just silently laugh to myself as I quietly beat the blustering blowhard hole after hole as he looked for excuse after excuse to explain his failure. I used to be frustrated and intimidated by this personality type, but now I just grin inwardly and play my own game.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    A common theme seems to be an ultra-competitive personality with a tendency to call attention to their good shots and make all sorts of excuses for poor shots.
    I couldn't agree more i know more than enough of these people...... very painfull indeed

Unhappy Most annoying!

I play regularly with a guy who is also a great pal of mine, but on the golf course he is a curse. His most common trick is when you are addressing the ball on the tee box he always seems to be looking for a tee in his pocket, not really annoying you'd think but he also seems to always carry a large amount of loose change in the same pocket. This happens every round and usually starts around the 14th tee box if the match is tight. I sure he doesn't do it on purpose??

uh ... you all need to learn how to block that crap out and just hit the ball. you can hit it just fine at a crowded driving range right?

the guy talking during the backswing really is ridiculous and deserves a lighthearted, "Dude, shut the &%$# up."

How about people who give unsolicited swing advice? Very irritating. It's generally something that worked for them, but most likely has nothing to do with what your paticular swing flaws are. Once someone learns how to stop a reverse-pivot, for example, they assume that every bad shot by someone else is caused by a reverse pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    How about people who give unsolicited swing advice? Very irritating. It's generally something that worked for them, but most likely has nothing to do with what your paticular swing flaws are. Once someone learns how to stop a reverse-pivot, for example, they assume that every bad shot by someone else is caused by a reverse pivot.
    I know someone who suffers from manic-depressive disorder, controlled with medication quite nicely. Every person in the news of in the history books who had any episodes of mood swings is automatically assumed to be suffering from manic-depressive disorder!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    now that's annoying. there's a guy i play with regularly who's pretty good but thinks he's my personal golf mentor. Everytime I make a mistake he says, "Keep yer head down, we'll watch where it goes." Everytime. And then he started saying it before I started to swing. I want to tee off using his eyesocket for a peg. Turns out the problem wasn't with me picking up my head at all --- I was positioning the ball too far back or forward in my stance.

the other annoying personality is the type that thinks every shot should be perfect and if it isn't they get pissed off and stop talking, stop having fun, etc etc. I hate that. don't bring me down out there ... it's hard enough to keep the course from bringing me down.

I love the guys who have a fit after every bad shot. Like they are trying to convince you that they are actually really good and this never happens....

I was playing a few weeks ago and my buddy and I that I regularly golf with were coming up to the 15th hole. It's a little ways from 14 to 15 and when you come up to 15 you have to come around the 10th green which is elevated so you can't see the tee box on 15. Well as we are pulling up I notice that we've caught up to the group in front of us( I think they must have jumped in on the back 9), who is still teeing off, so I stop (we were in a cart). I'm still probably 50-70 yards away from the tee box at this point. Well the guy on the tee slams his club into the ground and begins stomping around and cussing, loud enough for us to hear, about how inconsiderate people are on the course. Well, we realize he's talking about us and begin to laugh fairly hysterically. I mean we are at least 50 yards away and the way the course is set up you can't see the tee box much sooner.

So he realizes we are laughing at him and begins to glare at us. This is the first time he sees us. Now, we are both very big guys. My buddy is an ex football player who stands about 6'5 and weighs somewhere around 250. I'm 6'1 and tip it at about 230 and have no fat on me. His expressions immediately changes, he looks away quickly, goes back to his ball, proceeds to shank one to the left and promptly starts the cussing again. This went on the rest of his round. We could hear him after almost every shot. Of course we yuked it up at his expense too, he desrved it. But what an ass. I felt bad for the people who were playing with him. I mean come on. Talk about being inconsiderate. NOBODY wants to play with a constant whiner.

What I think is very important, and should be instilled in every golfer's mind, young and old, is a good understanding of the rules and etiquitte of golf. I'm not saying that every golfer should know every single rule or ruling, I just mean knowing where and what they should be doing at all times on the course.

Three simple rules to follow that I think are the most important.

1. Don't do anything while someone is hitting a shot. And that means anyone, even the guy putting on the green next to the teebox if that should in fact happen. Just watch. Inbetween shots there is plenty of time for talking, stupid and useless advice, and practicing your swing.

2. Get to your ball, play ready golf. There's nothing more retarded than watching a bunch of beginner golfers walk to each ball to watch every 70 yard shot or stand behind everyone's putt. That frustrates the hell out of me. If you shot 150 a round, I don't care, as long as you're ready to hit the ball each and every time.

3. Respect everyone else on the course. In golf, there's nobodies ass to kick but your own. If you can't control your anger or outbursts, play in your backyard. Sure, if you miss a 175 yard 6 iron by an inch and you fall to your knees like you were just shot by a sniper and cry a bit about it, no worries there. But if you shank one into the trees, kick your own ass inside. Don't whine about it. Respect everyone else.

Ya, there's a bunch more rules and etiquitte to follow, but if you follow the main ones, the less important ones fall into suit.

Oh, and my Uncle is a lawyer and a chump, but that's being redundant. He tries to tell me what went wrong with this shot or how I should have straightened my hips at impact better, but when all is said and done i shoot 75 and he's in the high 80's. Funny how that works.

rockford35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Annoying

What about the jerk off with the iron covers. If any of you currently use them, you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirited
    Hey Guys
    I had a round at my local course http://www.bayviewgolfclub.com/ today with a mate of mine, and i can honestly say i will not be playing with my "Mate" again! ,On the 1st tee i got my driver out and proceeded to take a few practice swings, i then stepped up to the ball ,i was about to hit when i hear my "mate" taking practice swings , i turned and gave him the "look" he stared back at me totally oblivious to what he was doing ,so i started my routine again , sure enough just as i was in my back swing he starts his swing again, i had already committed myself to the shot and couldn't pull out , my shot was fat and short ,i was pissed ! But that wasn't the worst part, the worst was when he continued his practice swing antics at the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th holes, after he hit his tee shot on the 5th i had a quiet word with him, he apologized and all was well. When we arrived at the 6th i again did my usual 3 practice swings, then in my backswing something weird happened it was as if my "mates" practice swing antics could'nt be restrained and took on the form of his voice, **** started to fly from his mouth he was going on about the weather ,what club tigers uses etc etc etc ,it was insane! but what was even more insane was that he continued his motor mouth antics for the entire round !! I now wish i had never alerted him to his practice swing antics ! What do you guys reckon the most annoying trait on the golf course is ??

Maybe he is in your kitchen cause you TAKE 3 Practice swings?

I agree. the most annoying golfers are those who aren't ready to hit their shot when it's their turn and slow play.

Sometimes I catch my buddy as we are walking to another hole talking loudly to me as we walk by an occupied tee box. I always have to tell him to shut up or put my finger to my lips.
    If they are waiting who cares, but if one is addressing the ball and we are close enough, I tend to stop and stand still for just a second, not to mention stop talking.
    Just wait one minizzle!

Lawyers, you can spot them a stroke a hole, beat the hell out of them, and they will still tell you what is wrong with your swing on every shot!

I have a buddy that I play with all the time. He's a great friend of mine and he's a really a good guy but this is how he usually plays the game. First hole, regardless of his real score, he takes a par, cause "it's the first hole right?" We both hit drives in the same area his maybe a bit longer than mine. We stop the cart, I grab a club and address my ball, he grabs a club and walks up to his ball 10 yards in front of mine and starts taking practice swings. No regard for who's away. I just say "Go Ahead and hit!" On the green same thing, if you are away as soon as you start your putting routine, he will be in your plain line of site over his putt getting ready to putt. He hits a bad approach? Before the ball even lands he's got his hand in his pocket for another ball, which if the second is remarkably better than the first? Well then "he's gotta play the second ball, because it's just way too good!" Bad lie, he moves it. In a bunker, he kicks it out. Behind a tree, he moves it. Misses an easy putt, he will stand on the green and putt 4 more times from the same spot with a group behind us. All the while, writing down bogies for doubles and so on. Sometimes it gets on my nerves but I usually just ignore him and play my own game. The only time it pisses me off is when we get paired up with another 2 some and he does the same things. Especially, when we are all playing in order of who's away and somebody is ready to hit and he's decided to hit out of turn. He's a pretty touchy guy so I've never said anything to him but the last round we played I almost did after I chunked an easy five iron as I caught him out of the corner of my eye on my downswing 25 yards in front of me taking practice swings.

Thread Information