|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

new golfer what degree of loft should i use on my driver?

need help a.s.a.p

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEY7S
    need help a.s.a.p
    no one can answer this for you. There are so many factors that go into pickin a driver. One thing that anyone will tell you is that for a beginner hitting a driver in the fairway will be difficult. A driver with more loft will create more spin and thus make the ball go straighter. As a beginner I would not invest alot of money in a driver until your swing is more polished. Then the driver can be more suited to your game and not just a spur of the moment pickup off the shelf.

As a rule of thumb, the more loft the better as a beginner. I'd start at least at 10.5 degrees and seriously consider an even higher loft than that. As you get better and have a better idea of what you want/need from your equipment you can decide to stick to that loft or progressively "De-loft" your driver. You'll find a higher lofted driver much easier to hit and get more enjoyment out of it at your stage.

Can't help but agree with MIKEY7S opinion. May I suggest that you consider spending 5 bucks on this book

How Golf Clubs Affect Your Ability To Scoreby Ralph Maltby

or consider visiting while you're waiting for the book to arrive.

http://www.twgolftech.com/whypro/

Good Golf Digest article on driver loft:

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...00311loft.html

Quote Originally Posted by habs001
    As a rule of thumb, the more loft the better as a beginner. I'd start at least at 10.5 degrees and seriously consider an even higher loft than that. As you get better and have a better idea of what you want/need from your equipment you can decide to stick to that loft or progressively "De-loft" your driver. You'll find a higher lofted driver much easier to hit and get more enjoyment out of it at your stage.

If you are a new golfer, I think this is right. You want to start with at least 10.0 degrees, and probably not more than 11.5, which is fairly standard. You will find 10.5 is the most common loft for a driver.

Were I in your shoes, I would invest money into a good 3 wood that you like, and once I had developed some consistency off the tee with it, I'd then start worrying about the big dog.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Quote Originally Posted by philfrance
    If you are a new golfer, I think this is right. You want to start with at least 10.0 degrees, and probably not more than 11.5, which is fairly standard. You will find 10.5 is the most common loft for a driver.
    I would pretty much agree with this completely. If you get anything lower, and have a slower swing you will lose distance, and if you have any swing flaws as most beginners do, you will spray the ball more as you get into lower lofts.

For the most part, I agree with what the others said, that it is hard to know what driver is right for you, so if you plan on spending alot of money, get fitted or at least know all the specifics for your swing. If you plan on saving a little money, and buy last years model or something similar, I can't help but think you want to stay away from anything under 10* of loft. Understand that the shaft is important as well. As a beginner though, 10.5* would probably be a good choice until you better perfect your swing, I would guess as a beginner a regular flex may suit your needs, but if you are fairly athletic or have a fairly decent swing, then you may need a stiffer shaft, if you have a way to get you Swing Speed tested it would help a little, but is still not completely reliable for the best choice.

If you want to hop right in without getting all the necessary information or getting fitted, understand that you may be replacing the club in a shorter period of time as a beginner, so consider that with the cost of the club.

Thread Information