|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shafts

Question Shafts

Hey Every One:

Getting back into the game after a three year hiatus forced by a medical condition called myofascia pain syndrome. Did in my golf and racquetball for three years.

I am getting a completley new set of clubs as a reward for all my hard work. I have a club fitter I trust. I decided with his input and lots of testing to go to CER irons ( Golf Works), Golfsmith Viper Ti-4 driver head ( I hit 8 others), KZG Gemini # wood, and Golfsmith Quick Strike Hybrids 19 and 22 degrees. Yeh I like components and having it complete custom. Did it before and it was the best.

I am 62, late release, bend the shaft way above average. Swing speed on the Vector was 85-90 with a 6 iron and 112-119 with driver.

MY PROBLEM-

I trust my fitter lots but I am so ignorant about shafts for the woods and hyybrid. I prefer graphite for these although I went for steel in the irons. It makes no sense to me. Went to several sites. The prices are all over. Thought maybe the lighter ones would be more expensive. Not so. Thought lower torque. Not so.

In your experience what make the shaft work for you? How do you know what works not just what is expensive. I will take the advice of my club fitter just want to understand his reasoning too.

Lee

I assemble my own clubs and the only thing I can't do is adjust the lie angle, but so far I haven't had to. However, I'm NOT an experienced club fitter. Because the cost is reasonable, I usually just assemble a club to try out a shaft and see how I like it. I have a set of both graphite and steel irons, but I feel the steel hits a little more consistantly. I use Dynalite Gold.

My only other clubs are rescue fairway woods (Outburst from GolfSmith) and on these I prefer graphite shafts. I just buy Aldila VX shafts. They are inexpensive and seem of good quality. I really like these woods.

I THINK that when graphite shafts were new many years ago there was a wide variation in quality. However, since they've become a commodity I'm not at all sure there's much quality variation any more. I've bought a few fancy shafts, but I really don't think they are any better for MY swing. (The driver is the one place where you might see a big effect of the shaft, but I don't hit one.)

It's a real tough question. There's SO MUCH out there. If you trust your fitter, I'd leverage their opinion. The biggest thing is that I really don't think price is a strong indicator of how much a shaft or club head will benefit your game. I don't think you can go wrong with a "journeyman" shaft from a reliable manufacturer, like Aldila. (Again, minor caveat for the driver.)
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]"If I can't walk it -- I don't play it."[/COLOR]

For me, it took a lot of trial and error over the years until I found the right type of shaft properties that work for me. I've had and tried all sorts of shafts with different properties (weight, kickpoint, torque, etc) and it really comes down to what feels comfortable when I actually swing the club. That being said, I think the best properties that work for me are a relatively heavy graphite shaft (75-80 grams) with a mid to high kick point. I found I have problems with lightweight and ultralight shafts (50-65 grams) because while I do get increased clubhead speed, my tempo and control get all messed up. The mid to high kick point shafts work for me because I hit a high ball and the higher kick points help keep the trajectory of my shots lower.

My point is I have to actually swing and hit balls with the different shafts so I could see the results and ,more importantly, get a feeling for a shaft. For me it's a pretty subjective thing and unfortuantely there wasn't any other way for me to find the right type of shaft without going throught the trial and error.

Hope this helps.

"Swing speed on the Vector was 85-90 with a 6 iron and 112-119 with driver."

I would get those numbers rechecked before doing anything. With that driver speed you would have the fastest swing on the Champions tour and be almost middle of the pack on the PGA tour. Seems a little unrealistic for a 62 year old.

Thread Information