|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Draw...is backspin there or not

Hi everyone, i have a normal in to out draw if lucky, 20 degrees off stinky block if unlucky swing. I stop the ball dead (or within 2 feet) using my 8 thru 55 degree wedge, no backspin, not that i am bothered. I presume thats because the greens aren't quite as firm in Scotland. Shouldn't my draw be encouraging the ball to roll?? I thought fade encouraged backspin and draw roll? does a draw flight still produce backspin? is it that with these clubs i am flying less of a draw, they do tend to fly more straight than out right and back to target. If it helps i do try and fire these clubs faster, play with the PRO V1.

Any club with a lofted face imparts backspin to the ball on contact...even a putter imparts a very small amount of backspin initially (there are a lot of innovations, including grooved putter faces, out on the market right now to try to help counteract this).

Fades tend to increase the height of a shot and decrease the roll because they result when a clubface strikes the ball open relative to the direction of the clubhead through the ball. This adds loft to the clubface, which adds backspin, which increases lift and decreases the likelihood of a forward release.

Draws tend to decrease the height of a shot and increase the likelihood of roll because they result when a clubface strikes the ball closed relative to the direction of the clubhead through the ball. This delofts the clubface, which decreases backspin (not eliminating it...just toning it down), thus lowering the trajectory and increasing the likelihood of a forward release of the ball after landing.

With highly lofted clubs like wedges, the amount of backspin and height of the shot will be relatively high on fully shots regardless of whether a draw or fade is hit unless the setup of the shot is altered drastically to produce a different type of ballflight (severe forward press of hands with ball well back in stance would be a good example). If you want a wedge to release...try to sweep through it with a slower swing (don't take a divot, lower follow through) instead of hitting down with a high clubhead speed and taking a divot. That would reduce backspin, and might increase release upon landing. You might have to experiment to see if you need to take one club more for this type of shot due to the lower swing speed.

With lower lofted clubs like the 3 iron, it is very hard for most amatures to impart enough backspin to get a high ballflight as it is. Even for pros, it is generally a much lower flying club because there is drastically less backspin imparted by the clubface to the ball than for a wedge. Delofting a club like this would result in an extremely low shot with lots of run because the already low amount of backspin is reduced even further.

Hope all that helps without being too confusing.

No mate. not too confusing an dvery helpfull, thanks a lot

Well, it depends, if you hit the ball harder it will inturn genertae a higher spin rate, it you draw it on you good shots it probably menas that you are trapping teh ball, it should relase if you don't wack teh ball as hard, the harder you hit it the more spin there is as well to hit it high finish high, to hit it low finish low. O ya the cut will land softer if your misses are cuts you should make the your shot pattern, it might help, there you go MATE!

My Thanks

Cheers BUDDY!!
    Good luck with getting to the 3 you seek, thanks for the tip

Thread Information