|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Momentus Swing Trainer anyone ?

Hey Guys,

Played in our weekly 9 hole comp yesterday evening with a guy I hadn't played with in a while. I was complimenting him on the crispness of his irons, as I had previously remembered him moving half the field with his iron play. He tells me that it's down to his investment in the Momentus Swing Trainer. He was trying to explain the mechanics of it to me - basically that it ensured that he completed his swing due to the weighting system in the shaft. He also mentioned something about it extending his flexibility. he swings it 15 times a day, which ingrains a swing plane and increases club head speed at impact . He has a 40 oz club with a 35" shaft. It can also be used as a warm up routine prior to playing.

I've had a quick peek at the website and see that it's endorsed by DDuval amongst others. Just wondering if any of you ppl have any experience/benefit from it.

He's gonna give me a demo of it on saturday, which will keep me from ho' ing until then

Cheers Dave

I'll be interested in your report. Many touring pros are big believers in this and a fellow in my Sunday group uses one to warm up before teeing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    I'll be interested in your report. Many touring pros are big believers in this and a fellow in my Sunday group uses one to warm up before teeing off.
    Leave it with me Bravo .....Speaking personally I'm a firm believer in training your mind/muscles to do something until it becomes 2nd nature. I'll take orders and get us a group discount rate

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ireland
    Leave it with me Bravo .....Speaking personally I'm a firm believer in training your mind/muscles to do something until it becomes 2nd nature. I'll take orders and get us a group discount rate
    I like the medicus, but both are good.... I guess.... who knows about all of these training aids anyway

I use a 40 oz Swingrite which is a copy of the Momentus or vise versa. I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg.

I don't actually know if it increase swing speed but it certainly feels like it after you swing that weighted club about 10 times and then grab your playing club. Woosh! You just broke the sound barrier. I think over time it will ingrain whatever swing or swing plane that you used to swing that club so if you are using it incorrectly you will groove a bad swing. The theory is that the weight will help with muscle memory and shorten the amount of time that it takes to ingrain certain swing changes. It does stretch your muscles quite well. I think mine was a good investment of about $30, but I'm not sure that it is worth the $80 that Momentus is asking for.

I purchased the strength trainer about 2 weeks ago. I feel the extra strength from it and noticed the nice extra swing speed. Here are the positives.

My driver is flying down the pipe with more strength from swinging the club.
    I feel much more flexible and finishing my swing because of it.
    Taking the club back more slowly which gives me better control and accuracy.

Negatives:

With irons I am coming through and ball is going left of pin consistently.
    Not so bad offline but a different direction than I am aiming for.
    Seems to make me go left of flag each time.
    I noticed I hit behind the ball consistently toward end of round. I think this could be result of the low backswing it encourages.I use to bring the club up more quickly and hit down on the ball.

On the other hand I think it has helped my driver tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ireland
    Hey Guys,

Played in our weekly 9 hole comp yesterday evening with a guy I hadn't played with in a while. I was complimenting him on the crispness of his irons, as I had previously remembered him moving half the field with his iron play. He tells me that it's down to his investment in the Momentus Swing Trainer. He was trying to explain the mechanics of it to me - basically that it ensured that he completed his swing due to the weighting system in the shaft. He also mentioned something about it extending his flexibility. he swings it 15 times a day, which ingrains a swing plane and increases club head speed at impact . He has a 40 oz club with a 35" shaft. It can also be used as a warm up routine prior to playing.

I've had a quick peek at the website and see that it's endorsed by DDuval amongst others. Just wondering if any of you ppl have any experience/benefit from it.

He's gonna give me a demo of it on saturday, which will keep me from ho' ing until then

Cheers Dave
    Hold up man....before you spend like $$90.00 on this check out your local Wal-Mart...they have a copy....same length, same weight,same design, but, instead of Yellow it is orange...and ready for this..?? It is $$24.00...!!! save yourself a few bucks for an extra round of golf......hope this helps......Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmoper
    Hold up man....before you spend like $$90.00 on this check out your local Wal-Mart...they have a copy....same length, same weight,same design, but, instead of Yellow it is orange...and ready for this..?? It is $$24.00...!!! save yourself a few bucks for an extra round of golf......hope this helps......Paul

You stole my thunder. Just saw this at Walmart while looking for pink golfballs for my wife (don't get me started on that). She points it out to me and says, "Don't they sell that thing on TV for $100?" I say yeah and check out the price and I say its 25 here. Now this is the beautiful part; she tells me that I should buy it because it is a great deal.

Gotta love the wife supporting a golf purchase.

Anyway I've been playing around with it and it gives me incredible awareness of where the club is at all times. The added weight lets you know when you waiver or take the club off your intended swing plane. When switching to a real club it feels as if you are in complete control, connected, and swinging at half speed. I couldn't tell you if it translates into better results though because its been uncharateristically rainy here in San Diego and I haven't been able to make it out to the range with it yet.

yep its a bargain.. and the $75 is to buy a new dress.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf
    I think over time it will ingrain whatever swing or swing plane that you used to swing that club so if you are using it incorrectly you will groove a bad swing
    That's what happened to me back in 2000...The momentus grooved a bad swing. It took me a couple of months and a couple of lessons to hit the ball well again. Whatever you do with the momentus, make sure you practice the correct swing. 25 years ago my music teacher preached, "practice does not make perfect...Perfect practice makes perfect." I thought it was stupid saying but it makes sense

Mike

Cheaper yet? Doughnuts?

I tape a bunch of quarters to an old wedge. Has the advantage of being "adustable." Does anybody know this to be better/worse than a Momentus?

I also have one of those red, rubber-covered metal doughnuts that can slip over any club, although I never seem to get around to using it. Anybody use these?
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]"If I can't walk it -- I don't play it."[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by whackfore
    yep its a bargain.. and the $75 is to buy a new dress.
    You shouldn't tell your little secrets like that......some people will do anything to hit from the forward tees.....

I've had a Momentus for a few years now. I don't have anything negative to say about it. It's good for strength and flexibility in your golf swing. I use it before rounds to loosen up and as was mentioned it makes your regular swing feel like slow motion but generates great clubhead speed.

Just a little tidbit about that momentus. The guy that invented it is from here in Tulsa. I remember we would go to this driving range back in early 90s and he would hang out there picking up students to teach passing out cards and just giving tips while you were on the range. Real nice guy. I will bet he has done well with the proceeds.

Thread Information