|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shaft Flex ?

Shaft Flex ?

I bought new Taylor Made irons. I bought the RAC OS and love them. I had Taylor Made Burner OS before and have always liked them too, but the new ones are better. One of the reasons I bought new ones was to go from a stiff shaft to a regular. My swing speed is100-105 and usually that would call for a stiff shaft and that is what I have always had. One day I was hitting a friends clubs and they were regular. It was then I found that I just prefer the feel of a more flexible shaft. I hit the new irons better than my other ones and am thinking about doing the same with my driver and fairway woods.
    Any thoughts or experience on this?
    Just curious

are the shafts for the irons steel? if so, are the shafts for your woods steel, too? if they aren't, i'd hold off on that thought until you try some woods with a regular flex graphite shaft. i would think the difference between a regular and stiff steel shaft is not the same as the difference between a regular and stiff graphite shaft. try some regular flex drivers out and see how you like the feel. personally, i wouldn't make the change with your swing speed but if you prefer it, go for it.

I recently encountered this issue from the opposite perspective. I have a driver swingspeed of about 95-98 mph and have always gone with regular flex for metalwoods and irons. I also strongly prefer graphite in iron shafts because it is easier on my middle aged wrists and elbows. I recently bought a set of hard to find irons off e-bay that had Dynamic Gold S-300 shafts with the intention of reshafting in regular flex graphite. However, I tried them at the range just out of curiosity to see how they felt. I was very surprised at how much better I played with them. The heavier shaft felt much more solid and also forced me to slow down my tempo to a more controllable rate. (I tend to rush the start of the downswing). I played them several times on the course and decided that I really liked the stiffer, heavier feel. It was a quantum leap forward in terms of accuracy for both distance and direction. I've had a substantially higher greens in regulation, more easy 2 putts, and I'm now frequently getting 1-2 birdies a round vs. one every several rounds. I still will go with graphite, but I sent the 8 iron to a first rate clubmaker for flex analysis. He is able to very closely replicate the DG S-300 playing characteristics by using the Apache MFS 115's in a very stiff (X-3) flex. I've tried the single club he sent as a trial, and it very closely resembles the stiff steel, but feels just a little more lively. I'm now in the process of getting the rest of the set done with the same parameters, and should have them back within the next several days.
    The point is, don't assume that you should play a certain flex in irons simply based on your driver swing speed. Experiment. Demo. You might be surprised that you prefer a lighter, more flexible shaft or a heavier, stiffer shaft. Swing speed is only one factor in deciding on the right flex.

Thanks for the replies. The shafts on the irons are steel and my driver is graphite. So that's a good point and I think I will demo 1st before I make any decision.

I normally play Dynamic Gold X-100 shafts, but I have played regular shafts in irons for a couple rounds (my dads) when I haven't had my clubs with or whatever other reasons. I found they are slightly more prone to being off target (but I have a driver speed of 120+ so slower speeds probably wouldn't notice this as much) but other than that they aren't bad. The thing that I didn't like about them, if I really wanted to go after a shot (nuke a 3 iron off of the tee) it's kind of swing and pray and hopefully it'll end up somewhere near the fairway whereas with my X-100's it's swing as hard as you want and the shaft won't bend and contort like an acrobat and shoot the ball a possible million yards off line (but with lower swing speed you may not even encounter this problem). But, I would agree with the Dork and just try different types. The regulars felt to me like they do a lot of work for you...you can feel the shaft help the club through. So, if you can, give different shafts a try, otherwise if you want regular I'm sure it won't hurt your game because if you're really good you'll adjust and if you're really bad you won't be able to tell the difference. Good luck.

Thread Information