|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

View Poll Results: How important is managing your personal golf statistics?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • None - Not worth monitoring

2 6.67%
  • Little - Never really thought about it

2 6.67%
  • Neutral - Could be helpfull if done right

7 23.33%
  • Helpfull - Managing stats helps better your game

19 63.33%

Exclamation Statistics Management

Hi all, just a quick poll and question to the group.

I was wondering how many golfers out there look at statistics for their game other than score and handicap. Statistics such as Greens in Regulation, Driving accuracy, average putting etc.

I am a very analytical person and I manage all of my statistics in my game to learn what areas I need help and practice in. It's a great way to better your game and get the most out of the time you spend at the driving range. Curious to know if there are many people out there use statistics to better their game.

Thanks

I voted neutral, but could lean towards helpful.

I've known a few people at both ends of the spectrum. At the one end is my uncle, a scratch player who doesn't take notes, doesn't video-tape his swing, doesn't analyze too much, and as had a lot of success in golf. On the other end is a good friend of mine, who is very Dave Pelz-like, in that he will hit a shot and record the results. While playing a round last summer, we probably played a 5 hour round because he wanted to take notes the whole time.

I find myself somewhere in the middle. I bought myself a notebook that I record my scores in, and maybe jot down something. I do record number of putts. However, I don't sit around and calculate percentages. For one thing, I don't make my living playing golf (though if I could, I would). So, I only have my own desire to improve, which is very different than some type of on-the-job training. Where I get frustrated is when I start thinking too much. Like from reading Pelz' Short Game Bible, he often gives instruction like "swing to 7:30, and make a full follow through." That sounds too mechanical to me. I've been athletic most of my life, and developing feel with whatever sport I'm doing has been my key. If I make a swing to 7:30 and make a full follow through, then great. But I don't think to myself, "Oops, too far, you're at 8:00 now." Does that make sense?

So, a typical entry into my little notebook would be something like my 9- or 18-hole score, number of putts made, and a few notes like: "left too many pitches short," or "pushed too many drives," or "hit too many shots fat." Stuff like that. So when I next go to the course or the range (grass only....range mats are the devil), I know what I want to work on.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Why are you in such a rush to hit the ball? It's not going anywhere." --My teacher, when I am too fast in my downswing.

"Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her." --Val Doonican

"The first time I played the Masters, I was so nervous I drank a bottle of rum before I teed off. I shot the happiest 83 of my life." --Chi Chi Rodriguez[/FONT]

good points

The note pad is a good idea, i use the score card and add fields like:

Fairway hit
    Drive distance
    Putts
    Penalties
    GIR

Then I use www.yourgolfstats.com to get all the calculations done for me.

I've tried doing it, and it just becomes a distraction. I start obsessing about how many greens in regulation or putts/round, and the monitoring of it starts distorting my play. Maybe some of you who are less obsessive than I am could benefit from doing it. I have a pretty good gestalt on whether I'm putting well, chipping well, hitting irons well, or driving well without writing it down on paper or ruminating over it after the round. If there is a problem area, I devote extra practice to that activity on the next range session.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I track Score, Handicap, GIR, Fairways and Putting. I try to keep the distraction minimal so I use a palm with Intelligolf. I simply punch in the Score and Putts at the next tee box. It atomatically calculates the GIR. This year I just started tracking Fairways hit. Same thing, after the hole it takes two extra taps. I also use it to track the length of the rounds, which it does automatically, and competition and games, which I set up at home before the round. I then transfer it into the PC and track it. It will also do distance, sands saves, club choice, pretty much anything, but that is to much for me. If I do not have the palm with me, I just write down Score and Putts. Plug it in the palm later and let it do the GIR's. I can pretty much remember each Tee shots for each hole for Fairways hit.

I agree though I try to keep the distraction to a minimal, and will only do it after the hole. I tried tracking alot more before and noticed an increase in scores. All in all it takes about 5 seconds at the next tee box, and keeps a running viewable total of strokes over par which is nice, with no thought.

I probably should do penalties on my home course, but I guess I could accomplish the same by counting my golf balls at the end of the round because if I can find it I will play it 95% of the time. So I guess money spent on golf balls are enough of an indication.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 04-10-2006 at 10:50 AM.

I voted Neutral...Looking for a good system to track systems. I'll be following this thread closely.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Koyak
    I voted Neutral...Looking for a good system to track systems. I'll be following this thread closely.

Mike
    Well look no further! Matteus is most likely spamming www.yourgolfstats.com.

Back on topic... I used to keep track of several different stats and keep them in a spreadsheet. I would have goals for each stat (like GIR or U/D%, # putts, etc.) I had it worked out that if I met each goal, I would shoot even par. I've never achieved all my stat goals in one round. It was kind of cool to run my stats at the end of the year. I just don't have the time anymore to keep it up. If only there was some website or software to track this. I could call it www.mygolfstats.com! No, that's not quite right.

I track Fairways hit, Greens in regulation, Putts per round, Mishit shots (aka a 50 yd topped 5-iron, etc.) during the round. It only takes about an additional 5 seconds per hole. I always mark it down on the lower part of the scorecard. FWY, GIR, PUTT, BAD - four quick marks each hole. I update my handicap on a regular basis, and I note the number of pars/birdies I make each round afterwards, too. Five minutes on the computer after a round, and my info is always updated. I know my average drive, and I keep a mental tally of any drives that go outside that 10 yard window of my average drive. Length of drive isn't a major focus with me, as I recognize other factors are more important.

The end result? I know where I was weak each round, and where to focus any prectice. I know if I am hitting 12 fairways, but only 3 greens in regulation, that my irons need work. Same thing with putts per round. If I see that I 3-putted four times, I know what I need to do. Anecdotal evidence from playing the round doesn't always tell me that. I could look back and say - 'I got a par on the 505yd par 5...' That doesn't tell me that I mishit my tee shot for a drive of 200 yds, then scorched a great 3-wood for 220 yards, before placing a nice wedge just 3' from the hole, only to two putt from there. Anecdotally, I'd have thought - 'I laid a nice wedge in there to clinch par...'

I play golf for fun & outdoor recreation, but I certainly want to improve. I'm not obsessed with it, just mindful of it.

In my database I track for every round: Total Score and a breakdown of what types (# birdies, pars, bogies, doubles, triples, quads+), Avg scores for Par 3s, 4s, and 5s, Total Putts and a breakdown of how many of what type (0, 1, 2, 3, 4+), Putts/GIR, Fairways, GIR, penalties, and sand saves.

That seems like a lot, but all I need on my scorecard to track all that is the score for each hole, putts taken, FH, GIR, penalties (rare), and if I made a sand shot/save (even rarer).

I don't use the stats to plan practices so much as I'm going to be working on the same things no matter what...but I do group my stats to kick out monthly averages for each so I can see how I'm progressing towards my goals in the broad scheme of things. At the end of last season, for example, I was averaging 34 putt/round, 0.5 penalties/round, 3.86 on Par 3s, 5.09 on par 4s, and 6.31 on par 5s for a scoring average of 91.20. That's a pretty staggering difference from what my March stats were for last year. It helps me keep my chin up after I goof by keeping things in perspective.

I also use the database to plan an attack for courses I've previously played when I'm playing my family for money.

Horseballs...

I am not spamming the site, but I do own it, I started it when I began recording my stats using an excell spreadsheet.

I decided to make it online so that other people can have access to it and use it if they like. I dont want to have it as another flashing ad for every golf gimmic out there which is why I am charging for the service (sites like this are not cheap to maintain). (for the admin) I will not spam the site on this forum. I just wanted to make mention of it for those that might like to use it.

I will for the first 5 members of this forum that want to use it give away a free membership.

If you are interested in using it just enter this coupon code 1kso2rkkcyi9
    at the signup and the account will be activated.

P.S The code will only work 5 times then it deletes itself from the DB

Thanks Guys I promise that I will not spam the forum with the URL.

Hppy golfing

I voted nuetral...currently I don't track anything...but will.
    I know several people who carry PDA's and either have the course score card loaded, or have some stats app. They then just sync to their PC, and get everything they want.

Don't the GPS products also track a lot of those stats?

I voted helpful ... but only in case of somebody who can notes my games in detail ... Too complicated for me to do that when playing ... If I do that, I would find golfing deadly boring ...

They can be extremely helpful if done correctly. for instance i thought my putting was fine so i didnt work on it that much (still practiced but didnt work on technique), but then i started keeping stats and realize that that is where i am giving my strokes away. Fixed that and now i am not hitting as many GIR's as i would like (odd for me i generaly hit at least 10-12 a round) so me and my instructor are now working more an that.

was thinking about it overnight. I think its vital if you are working on improving your game. I mean, taking the information is vital...but trying to correct it during a round is not a good idea. SOmeone posted that when he keeps track some times it freaks him out to see GIR's not where they want to be and so he starts pressing....

Just collect the data and look at it later...its probably good (as pigman360 points out) to use to understand where you can improve and lower your score.

Thread Information