|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Smile 983K help required please...

Here’s the deal. I play off 5 at a links course in Ireland. I hit it about 250/260 yards on average, all things considered. I have played the 975D (8.5) and the 975J Vs HrC (9.5) in the past, both of which I loved. I hit the ball with a low penetrating flight, usually straight or with a bit of draw. My weak shot is a pull hook, but at that point I’m hitting everything bad, not just the driver.

I am now changing to the 983K in an attempt to get a bit more height and carry on the ball. I am amazed at all these guys who shoot in the 80s with hit it 275+ yards. I would be considered to be one of the longer / straighter hitters in the club. Maybe us Irish don’t eat enough steak or something like that. I am 6ft and weigh 170lbs. I hit a 7 iron 160 yards. I am not sure about swing speed but I am probably about 100mph.

Anyway I am not terribly experienced with shaft types and I have read the reviews in this site with interest. I agree that shaft will make a difference. Both shafts I have had have been Titliest own (I think made by Grafalloy). Both have been stiff.

I listened to some good advice with the 975J and went up a degree of loft. I am tempted to keep going with the 983K and get it in 10.5 with a Graffalloy Prolite S.

I have a few questions;

Would the 983K or 983E suit my game better?
    Am I better going to a higher loft – 10.5?
    What is my optimum shaft type?

Appreciate any help. I think this forum is great.

titleist 983K shaft choices

Hi I Have owned 2 983k's and loved them both one had the stock 4560 titleist shaft with 9.5 deg loft and the other GD ys-6 with 8.5 loft . the Ys-6 shaft has a more active tip so i went with a lower loft and the 4560 stock shaft wasthe better of the 2 for me since I dont have a smooth swing my hands tend to get a little quick at the top . I am a legit 9-10 hdcp and swing speed of 85-90 mph depending on how my back is feeling that day and my good drives are 220-235 with roll . I would not go for the 983e since it is for lowering the ball flight more weight towards the middle of the club head . I see a lot of lower hdcp players using the 983k with the NV-65 green Alidia seems to be a great combo.. you could also go with the 10.5 K and get the Fuji 757 speeder comes stock in it as well very high kick point in the shaft so to hold the ball flight down but giving you thr forgivness of the 10.5 head. I did not has enough swing speed to go with the speeder or else I would has done that combo Just for the hell of it try the new Taylor made R7 quad driver before you buy the K the R7's are selling faster than any thing latley in new drivers atleast in the Chicago area Good Luck- Blademan

I'm a 10 hdcp...swing about 90 - 95..hit it about 235 - 240 carry and have a 983K - 9.5 deg...my experience is this:...I went to a higher deg (from 8.5) to get a higher launch angle...I have a Pro-Lite regular....the 983K is a "high on the face" driver, so with that shaft, I was hitting it too high, thus I've teed lower...that seems to work..also, the stock 983K's have a draw bias...I couldn't slice one if I tried...I'm still learning to use this marvelous "weapon"....my advice: give the K a chance..the shaft you have now may not be the one you end up with...

"I couldn't slice one if I tried"...if you are able to work your other clubs somewhat you can fade/slice a K. I've hit them on the range and that's one reason I liked the K. I would agree it is easier to hit a nice little draw though.

It gets quite windy, but I love it and it never really bothers me as I hit most shots with quite a penetrating flight. My fear is balooning it in the wind. I got a demo last night of the 983K 10.5 with Grafalloy S. I had the 975J VS out alongside for good measure. Hit about 20 balls with each and then went to pick em up (We do that in Ireland). I would say on average the K was longer that the J and I certainly hit it a bit higher. But it was a very calm night. I intend to give it a few more bashes over the next few weeks to fully judge.

Here's another question. I normally tee the ball an average height 1.5" off the ground. I noticed that I needed to tee it higher for the K. I guess that is because the sweet spot is higher in the face. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe
    I think you have it sussed out perfectly.

I have a 9.5 E, but I tend to hit the ball high to begin with. The K hits the ball on a higher trajectory than the E and with 10.5 it will go a little bit higher than your current 9.5. Nothing drastic though.

100mph swing speed puts you right in the middle of Stiff flex shafts. Pick any one you like. Although if you are comfortable with the Grafalloy by all means, stick to it.

How windy is your links course? Are you sure you want a higher ball flight off the driver?

Thread Information