|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Tm R580xd - R580 / R540xd - R540

I've seen your previous discussions on shaft flexibility and loft angles for drivers. So I guess my focus on this question would be the clubheads of these Taylor-Made 500 series drivers:

Taylor-Made R580XD - R580 / R540XD - R540

Would you discuss the tendencies of these four models as to the way they generally affect ball flight shape, accuracy and distance?

I look forward to hearing your opinions that will affect my decision on which driver is the best one for most 5-15 handicappers.

Thanks!

dgolf

I have a 580 xd and it's the largest thing I have ever swung.

Ball flight with it is very limited. The large heads and hot faces are making working the ball a thing of the past.

It's just really hard to get that head closing to cause a draw. It also tends to correct any cut shots.

So with the big drivers it' best to just aim down the center and hit the ball straight. Or at least try to.

it goes so far I don't really care if it cuts or draws a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Montagle
    I have a 580 xd and it's the largest thing I have ever swung.

Ball flight with it is very limited. The large heads and hot faces are making working the ball a thing of the past.

It's just really hard to get that head closing to cause a draw. It also tends to correct any cut shots.

So with the big drivers it' best to just aim down the center and hit the ball straight. Or at least try to.

it goes so far I don't really care if it cuts or draws a little.
    ---

Monteagle:

I've found EXACTLY what you described to be applicable to me, too. I thought it was just me as I am having difficulty drawing the ball with the 580XD as I do feel more comfortable with that ball flight. Local golf shops did not have demos available but I read somewhere the 540XD might be a little more closed and 40 cc's smaller and maybe easier to draw? Maybe someone will touch on this in this thread.

Maybe I should and can get used to a straight ball or slight fade that goes 40 forty yards farther! Which it does with the 580XD.

Thanks for your reply.

dgolf

I Play A Tm540

I have been playing a TM540 for over a year and can draw the ball when I really want/need to. The TM580 is really made for high handicappers and therefore is more forgiving, hence the straight ball.
    I would think the 540XD and the 580XD would react the same as their respective "cousins". I have a friend who is a teaching pro and he uses the 540 and doesn't have any problem drawing/fading the ball on command...but he's a pro.
    By the way, I'm a 9 handicap (legit) and have found the 540 to be the best driver I've ever owned. I've swapped out the stock shaft and use a Penley Stealth shaft...much better response than the stock shaft.

I carry the 580 XD, and like previous posters said its long and straight with if anything a slight tendancy to fade, very slight. I've played with the 580XD for 6 weeks now and it's worth 30 yards to me or 2 clubs. I also carry a King Cobra Ti Titanium offset and its the one I use for working the ball. The 580 XD was designed for 1 reason and 1 reason only .. extra power. It probably takes the fun out of 2nd guessing what yer drive is gonna do, but as a previous thread commented it allows you more time to concentrate on other aspects of your short game, Cheers Dave

My two cents worth

I play an R540 - regular stock shaft. Handicap index 9.6.

I like the club very much. Hit it well today and had several drives of around 270ish.

Typical ball flight is straight to slight block/fade. High trajectory. Cannot draw it, though except by accident.

Still like it very much as I like to play them as straight as possible. If I need a draw off the tee - I drop back to the Sonartec 3 wood.

Hope this helps. Really good clubs.

I can draw the R540XD. The Taylor Made drivers are actually supposed to have a draw bias to them. My ball flight with the club is really high. If you need more workaiblity, I'd go with the Titleist 983E.

Go for the R7 Quad and have it all plus extra distance!

I am a certified golf equipment junkie and have played just about every popular hot driver that hits the shops and have played and really loved the TM 540 XD 9.5 reg flex always hitting high fades in the fairway. Over this long weekend I was able to demo the R7 9.5 reg flex and purchased it 5 min later. traded in my Muzino MP-001 10 deg. striperJ shaft and all without a second thought. this R7 quad is F***king un-real. at first since these heal weighted clubs tend to work best for me mp-001,983k I set it up for a draw with the weights and sure enough I was hitting draws fist time ever but not a lot of distance then I tried the weights for high and stright the two heavy ones in the back and the lighter ones in the two front left and right of the face spots and wow every drive longer than any driver I have ever hit by atleast 20yds and no fade or draw just powerful streight and high. the shaft also feels so good it feels better than any custom shaft I have tried . I play golf 3-4 times a week durning the season and hit a bucket of range balls every day. solid 10 hdcp swing speed of 85-90 mph and this reg flex shaft is perfect for me. stock swing weight is D-3 45" and this club feels so balanced < I just can not say enough about this R7 .Even at $499 it will sell very well , like owning several drivers in one- Blademan

Quote Originally Posted by BLADEMAN
    I am a certified golf equipment junkie and have played just about every popular hot driver that hits the shops and have played and really loved the TM 540 XD 9.5 reg flex always hitting high fades in the fairway. Over this long weekend I was able to demo the R7 9.5 reg flex and purchased it 5 min later. traded in my Muzino MP-001 10 deg. striperJ shaft and all without a second thought. this R7 quad is F***king un-real. at first since these heal weighted clubs tend to work best for me mp-001,983k I set it up for a draw with the weights and sure enough I was hitting draws fist time ever but not a lot of distance then I tried the weights for high and stright the two heavy ones in the back and the lighter ones in the two front left and right of the face spots and wow every drive longer than any driver I have ever hit by atleast 20yds and no fade or draw just powerful streight and high. the shaft also feels so good it feels better than any custom shaft I have tried . I play golf 3-4 times a week durning the season and hit a bucket of range balls every day. solid 10 hdcp swing speed of 85-90 mph and this reg flex shaft is perfect for me. stock swing weight is D-3 45" and this club feels so balanced < I just can not say enough about this R7 .Even at $499 it will sell very well , like owning several drivers in one- Blademan
    I am not familiar with this club. Who makes the R7 Quad?

Taylor Made R-7 quad

sorry for that, that is taylor made's new club. Sergio won with it using it for the fifst time at the byron nelson, thats why i JUMPED IN ON THAT THREAD BECAUSE THE r7 WILL SOLVE A LOT OF DRAW OR FADE ISSUSES

Eh, I'd rather just save the $500 on the R7 and use some lead tape. Haha. Another driver I've heard of that people say is big and straight is Orlimar. Not sure of the model, just know it's a giant headed Orlimar. Just a thought.

Smile

I started this thread because I had just actually purchased a Taylor Made R580XD upon recommendations from others. A demo was not available and I probably should not have spent this amount of money without trying a demo. But I did and when I took it to the range I had trouble drawing the ball as I feel more comfortable doing. Almost all of my shots were either straight or a fading ... good, but not comfortable for me. Because of the rain on Monday I was only able to play nine holes and only used the new driver twice (one drive was acceptable, the other got away from me with the big, high curve to the right, which is very unusual for me. Being a little disappointed in the driver's performance (OR MINE) on the course I went to the range yesterday and after strenghtening my grip slightly I started hitting LONG, high draws with this driver and I love it! (at least for now). The above great advice from all was (is) very informative. It has been said in other ways, as tweaking of equipment with the right shaft, etc. is very important ... but there is no substitute to making the right swing with a squaring clubface on the correct path and angle of approach!! I'm now glad I made the purchase of this 580XD!

Thanks!

dgolf

Thread Information