|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Do metal Fairway woods go farther than wooden ones?

Do metal Fairway woods go farther than wooden ones?
    After using the distance calculator in the Driver distance post I noticed it suggest a big distance difference between wooden woods and metal woods. I'm still using my old laminated Ping eye 2s and now I'm wondering whether I'm missing out.
    The Pings are very nice clubs with mid size heads a solid feel and nice weighting. The five wood has 21* and is one of my favorite clubs. I don't want to lose it but if a modern seven wood would be longer and straighter id be a fool not to.
    s the difference in distances just down to the extra half an inch on graphite shafts or is it some thing else. If any one has changed from wood the metal please let me know how much of a difference you found

Yes, you will hit the ball farther. Technology has come a long way and now with the wide array of fairway woods with a lower and deeper center of gravity you can get a much higher ball flight as well.

Well, it really depends on your needs. If you're happy with your distance and consistency, then why change? It looks like you'd like to find a better alternative, though and I would think a metal wood would be better for you. One question, though. Is your current wood a steel shaft? That may be where the big difference lies. If you go from steel shaft, to graphite shaft, you might see more distance that route, too but more shot dispersal.

Thanks Victory
    I'm using ktm steal shafts at the moment not really keen on the feel of graphite. I'm going to borrow a graphite shafted 3 wood and compare distances I'll post back with the results

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    Do metal Fairway woods go farther than wooden ones?
    After using the distance calculator in the Driver distance post I noticed it suggest a big distance difference between wooden woods and metal woods. I'm still using my old laminated Ping eye 2s and now I'm wondering whether I'm missing out.
    The Pings are very nice clubs with mid size heads a solid feel and nice weighting. The five wood has 21* and is one of my favorite clubs. I don't want to lose it but if a modern seven wood would be longer and straighter id be a fool not to.
    s the difference in distances just down to the extra half an inch on graphite shafts or is it some thing else. If any one has changed from wood the metal please let me know how much of a difference you found
    Yes Thread technology does help, but to do a fair comparison you need to know the loft angles of the metal woods vs. the wooden pings. Also check to make sure the clubs have the same shaft lengths. The older wood clubs a driver was standard at 43 1/2 inches, today's driver is standard at 45 inches. The longer shaft will give more distance because the arc of your swing is bigger, i.e. higher club head speed with the same amount of effort.
    Hope this helps.

Results

I went out today with my Eye2 steel shafted three wood and another steel headed three wood with a graphite shaft. Both were the same length and loft fifteen degrees so its a pretty fair comparison. I'm surprised to say there was a considerable difference in distance and dispersion. The metal wood was on average ten to fifteen yards longer with the best shots from my eye 2 being equal to the average with the metal headed three wood. And despite the smaller head of the metal wood it appears to be more forgiving with a tighter dispersions of shots. I'm convinced and even If I wasn't I'd have to bye a new three wood because the face insert on my Ping came flying out towards the end.

Thread Information