|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

tips for soft, muddy lies?

I hit a pretty good tee shot which rolled down the hill and stopped just short of a lake. the grass was wet and the ground was extremely soft. my shot at the green hsould've been an easy 60 yd sand wedge and I think I hit the ball pretty square but the ball flight resulted in a low squishy 30 yard chunk into the water. Do I play this as basically a bunker shot in the future?

First off, was the ball inside the hazard stakes? If not, was water coming up over the soles of your shoes? If so you may have been able to take relief. If you could not take relief, was the ball on a down hill slope? If so, then move the ball back in your stance as the club will hit the ground sooner on a downhill lie. Also, if it was a flat lie move it back slightly in your stance as soft ground or mud will behave like sand. In other words play it like a fairway bunker shot if you could not take relief.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedRbest
    First off, was the ball inside the hazard stakes? If not, was water coming up over the soles of your shoes? If so you may have been able to take relief. If you could not take relief, was the ball on a down hill slope? If so, then move the ball back in your stance as the club will hit the ground sooner on a downhill lie. Also, if it was a flat lie move it back slightly in your stance as soft ground or mud will behave like sand. In other words play it like a fairway bunker shot if you could not take relief.
    Excellent suggestions....

Thank you Bravo

Thread Information