|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

3 wood really more forgiving?

I'm still fairly new to this game and still fairly inconsistent.

I never really try to 'bomb' it off the tee because I know that will lead to wild mishits all over the show. However some days the Driver just works like a dream and most drives seem to sail down the middle of the fairway on a beautiful high trajectory. On those days as the confidence grows I sometimes can't help giving it that little bit extra! Usually with varying results from wild slices to big hooks. The longest drives still tend to be the ones where I swing easy and just time it right. On these days I love my Driver.

However on other days I can't buy a drive on my own fairway no matter how easy or relaxed I try to swing. On these days I usually trade in my Driver for a 3 wood, 5 wood or Hybrid depending on the hole.

However whilst I agree that using a fairway wood or hybrid is good for course management on certain holes I have found that on the bad driving days even the 3/5 wood flies all over the place and I find I might as well persist with the Driver. In other words a 3 wood won't fix a bad swing and the big face on these modern 460 drivers is possibly more forgiving than the smaller more traditional face of the 3 wood.

Anybody agree/disagree with that assessment?

for better players (ie meaning more consistent swing) i would agree. but for not as good players (no offence, just saying), it tends to be easier for your mind to have the smaller club (easier to hit sweetspot) in front of them. With more loft to make the shot better anyways. The biggest thing ive noticed, and remember from a couple years back. When your a beginner, you want to hit it far, so u persist with the driver, even though u hit the 3 wood farther, because u get the benefit from the loft. I was lucky enough when i started, i never had a driver, my dad wouldnt get me one till i was a 15 handicap he said. helped me a ton.

When u run into those bad days, just keep goin down clubs until u get to one your hitting well, that would be my motto if i had a few more bolts in the 'ol noggin.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Of course a driver's big face is more forgiving than the 3 wood's. However, the reason 3 woods are used is for position, and because of that, you normally slow down and hit them easy, so the ball usually goes out there. Also the loft on a 3 wood helps minimize the shots that go offline
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    However, the reason 3 woods are used is for position,
    I know but that is more for course management isn't it as opposed to forgiveness?

I have recently begun using my 3/5 woods on quite a few holes where I previously used the Driver but that is definitely playing for position.

BTW how do you like your Callaway Heavenwood 3H?

It is about course management but the point I'm making is that you then relax and hit it consistently better as you're not chasing distance.

Look closely at the first line of my sig. "My dream set"! I've hit them before and they are really beautiful and forgiving
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    It is about course management but the point I'm making is that you then relax and hit it consistently better as you're not chasing distance.

Look closely at the first line of my sig. "My dream set"! I've hit them before and they are really beautiful and forgiving
    Very true about relaxing.

Oh your dream set LOL!

The Callaway Heavenwood 3h I agree. A friend had one and it was beautiful. I hit it so far I saw it more as a 5 wood replacement than a long iron. But I couldn't give up my 5 wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I'm still fairly new to this game and still fairly inconsistent.

I never really try to 'bomb' it off the tee because I know that will lead to wild mishits all over the show. However some days the Driver just works like a dream and most drives seem to sail down the middle of the fairway on a beautiful high trajectory. On those days as the confidence grows I sometimes can't help giving it that little bit extra! Usually with varying results from wild slices to big hooks. The longest drives still tend to be the ones where I swing easy and just time it right. On these days I love my Driver.

However on other days I can't buy a drive on my own fairway no matter how easy or relaxed I try to swing. On these days I usually trade in my Driver for a 3 wood, 5 wood or Hybrid depending on the hole.

However whilst I agree that using a fairway wood or hybrid is good for course management on certain holes I have found that on the bad driving days even the 3/5 wood flies all over the place and I find I might as well persist with the Driver. In other words a 3 wood won't fix a bad swing and the big face on these modern 460 drivers is possibly more forgiving than the smaller more traditional face of the 3 wood.

Anybody agree/disagree with that assessment?
    Well, it's the higher loft of the 3-wood that makes it easier to hit the ball onto the fairway. The average driver loft amateurs are hitting these days is 9.5 to 10.5 degrees which can be a world of difference from the 13 to 15 degree fairway woods.

The smaller size of fairway woods makes us concentrate more on getting the ball to hit off the sweet spot, as opposed to banging the life out of the driver head while sacrificing decent ball contact. In addition, shaft length is also a factor in playability. The longer the shaft, the harder it is to get the clubface square at impact.

part of the reason a 3 wood is more forgiving is it imparts more backspin from the higher loft. this means that less side spin can be created and shots wont fly quite so far offline

Modern 460cc drivers have defiantly narrowed the forgiveness gap between driver and three wood I started out with 150cc wooden woods and there was a world of difference between the three and the driver. Nowadays is narrower but I still think a three wood off the tee gives you a better chance of finding the fairway.
    On a day when it all goes wrong I don’t think the answer is to keep hitting the driver because the results will be just as bad with a fairway wood, but to tee off with the longest club you still have some confidence in.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    On a day when it all goes wrong I don’t think the answer is to keep hitting the driver because the results will be just as bad with a fairway wood, but to tee off with the longest club you still have some confidence in.
    Ok the 22* Hybrid it is!

Since buying my MP-001 3 wood I have barely teed off with my driver...I just hit a higher percentage shot with the 3 wood and I don't lose significant distance. I honestly would not lose sleep over not carrying a driver at all right now, the way I hit this thing.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

As stated, the fairway wood should be straighter and further in the case of a beginner due to:
    1. Higher loft = less sidespin
    2. Shorter shaft = easier to control

I think I will get a chance to try out the Lucky 13 Sasquatch today or tomorrow, as I'm very intrigued to see if what is basically a 3+ head with driver size will equate into good distance and accuracy if I employ a 3 wood setup, ball position, and swing as opposed to a reg driver variation of those.

[QUOTE=chrisfx811]As stated, the fairway wood should be straighter and further in the case of a beginner due to:
    1. Higher loft = less sidespin
    2. Shorter shaft = easier to control

QUOTE]
    Bingo!!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer
    Since buying my MP-001 3 wood I have barely teed off with my driver...I just hit a higher percentage shot with the 3 wood and I don't lose significant distance. I honestly would not lose sleep over not carrying a driver at all right now, the way I hit this thing.
    Did you buy this at Golftown?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    Did you buy this at Golftown?
    Nope...went to Golfvillage this time...Golftown is so big and impersonal with their food markets and drive-throughs...Golfvillage is friendly, small, and laid back...
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Thread Information