|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Help on ball position!

Im struggling with my irons and some of it could be ball position. Where do u guys put the ball in your stance for each iron?

One ball towards the center of my stance from my leading foots heel.... for standard shots.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Mid irons should be center of stance so you can hit a decending blow to ball with a pinch, The wedges I have the bal back of center to trap the ball on shots that are normal, And with woods you want the ball forward in your stance so you can hit with an upward swing path.
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

Greg Norman...

Quote Originally Posted by kdizzle0014
    Im struggling with my irons and some of it could be ball position. Where do u guys put the ball in your stance for each iron?
    used to say he positioned most iron shots in the same place. When I was younger it was generally accepted, as a starting position, that the driver was just off the left heel and with each club less you moved the ball about a 1/2" back(towards the right foot for right handed people). What's right for you depends on you, but maybe this will be a good starting point. Luck.

I always have a problem with someone who says...

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLMSTR8
    Mid irons should be center of stance so you can hit a decending blow to ball with a pinch, The wedges I have the bal back of center to trap the ball on shots that are normal, And with woods you want the ball forward in your stance so you can hit with an upward swing path.
    "should" when referring to something you do with the golf swing. It shows me that they don't understand that the swing is an individual thing and what may work for one person may not work for another. It is generally accepted that only the highest lofted clubs would have the ball placed in the center of your stance(this is mostly true on level ground/good lie situations). The reason is club length. As you clubs get successively longer you move the ball forward so that the bottom of your arc is where the clubface is back to being square. With Rolls advice you may end up with an open clubface, a reverse weight shift or some other compensating move to hit the ball with a square clubface. As for woods being hit on the upswing that is not generally the case except with a ball teed up for the driver. Mostly you'd hit the fairway wood either at the lowest point of your downswing or even slightly descending. Trying to hit a fairway wood on the upswing can lead to topped and fat shots. Bad advice.

"Should" meaning the ball placement in your stance. All good ball strikers pinch the ball with mid irons and trap the ball with wedge irons, You have to hit down on the ball to make it go up ! It doesnt matter how long the shaft is its how the face comes into the ball with a decending impact ! Lets see you hit a 3 Wood with 13* of loft off the deck and see how far you can get it in the air without moving the ball forword in the center of your stance ?
    Last edited by ROLLMSTR8; 04-29-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

I agree that it depends on the person and their particular swing. For example, I play most of my shots foward of where you are "supposed" to play them. I play a 5I at the same position as my 3I,2I, and 3 Wood. It all depends on your swing. My advise, and I stress advice, is to hit the range and expirement with the ball placements. See what turns up as a result. I would expect to hit shots fat and thin while doing this as you are trying things that you are not used to. Once you find one that flies straight or straighter try to replicate that swing with all of your clubs and see what happens. If you have the money, get a lesson from a pro.

With the ball off the forward heel a bit (about a ball), when you narrow your stance for the shorter irons it IS in the center of your stance or nearly anyway. Open your stance a bit and it's even more pronounced for flops and pitches... General placement is easy. If I want to knock it down move it back of center, I'd never hit a normal shot with the ball back of center, bad mojo. That's a knock down stance.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Thread Information