|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Help me stop breaking drivers

Hi, I guess I should introduce myself:

I'm 17, about 6'1" and 160 lbs. I've been playing golf since the beggining of this year, so I'm pretty much a noob. A lot of my friends played, and I'd always wanted to, so I've taken it up.

I Have a problem with my drivers, I just broke my 4th one today. I've broken them all at the same spot, right at the hozel. Except for the first broken driver, I have hit, at most, two shots where the club head hits the ground first. I was told today, after I broke the 4th one, that I hit the ball rediculously hard and fast. Even with my crappy swing, I was averaging 250-60 yrds carry today. I'm not trying to brag, just trying to help get my problem solved.

What should I do. I've read a lot about shaft flex. Should I move to a stiff or extra stiff shaft? How will this help? All of my drivers have broken where the head meets the shaft.

Hope this gives yall an idea of my problem.

Buy a HiBore. Then coat it in flaxseed oil. It will be unbreakable.

hahaha flaxseed oil. i have a buddy that does the same thing...do you take diviots with your driver? I find it hard to believe that a normal swing will do that...even to the cheapest shafts. my advise...new golfer, steel shaft.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Try not hitting the ball with the hosel, thats not what its for. Give the sweetspot a whirl, it works for Tiger, it will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cfr_pratt
    hahaha flaxseed oil. i have a buddy that does the same thing...do you take diviots with your driver? I find it hard to believe that a normal swing will do that...even to the cheapest shafts. my advise...new golfer, steel shaft.
    I took zero divots with my latest drover. I only had it for two outings to the driving range.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    Try not hitting the ball with the hosel, thats not what its for. Give the sweetspot a whirl, it works for Tiger, it will work for you.
    I never hit it anywhere but the club face with this one.

well you mentioned shaft flex, i would replace the shaft with a stiff or something and then get it extra stiff at the tip, just my point of view on the situation

What drivers are u using? Any good quality drivers, or are these all Walmart 15$ specials?

You can snag a Taylormade r540 or r580 for super cheap these days and I can't say i've ever met anyone thats broken one of their shafts...

The fact that you're buying a new driver every time rather than just replacing the shaft tells me that its gotta be super cheap drivers you're going thru tho

learn to swing. end of problem. you are standing too closer or swinging too steep. or your coordination is all wrong. The ball is suppose to hit the middle of the club face.

If you are only carrying it 250-260 just stick with regular flex you are not swinging fast enough for stiff. I carry bout 260-270 and use regular. 5' 8" 160.

I am like you and relatively new to the game. I recommend you start from the wedge and work your way up to the driver. I dont think the driver is a good 1st club to learn but the temptation to slaughter the ball is too great for some. Wedges dont break as easy as drivers if hit incorrectly so thats another plus. GL with your game

just because he carries the ball 250-260 doesnt mean his swingspeed isnt enough for a stiff, i need a stiff S flex and i only hit it total like 250-260, it depends on the swing and lag and junk like that. And if your carrying 260-270, u may get more out of a better stiff shaft.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

nevertheless, I doubt shaft flex has anything to do with dave's problems. I'm with shiva, there has to be some quality issues on the drivers he's using for him to break 4 drivers. Of course dave, you probably should take some lessons too to hit the center of the clubface. If you're getting 260-270 yds hitting off the hosel, imagine the distance you'd get if you hit the center of the clubface : )

You may want to pm this guy anderson, I would swear you were the same person.
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=4178

This is obviously a troll thread. Don't feed the trolls.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Or at least don't tell them about the arsenic....

I had this problem when I started to play, I broke several graphite shafts in the same manner & bent several steel shafts at the hosel. The number one offender is the hard mats at the driving range, I have snapped a brand new (cheap) shaft in as few as 6 hits on those hard ass mats. Second problem was that I was constantly hitting the ball with the hosel, even steel shafts will not stand up to the abuse.

My suggestion would be to take some lessons from a pro with a good reputation, it will save you money, fustration & quite possible tennis elbow in the long run.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

250-260 off the hossel is a great shot, Im thinking 325 off the center of the face !
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

When I first started, I did the same thing. I was having my best driving range session ever. My swing was clicking and I was pounding the ball to the back of the range. Sweet spot every time. I also wasn't hitting the mat or anything like that. In two consecutive swings, I broke my dad's old Callaway Great Big Bertha with Pro Force 65 Gold shaft and on the next swing I broke his Adams Tight Lies clone 3 wood in the same exact place. Both were awesome hits in the dead center of the clubface. Only thing we could figure was that all their time spent in the garage somehow weakened the shaft. I got a new set and don't leave them in the car or garage, I keep them in the house, and haven't done it since. If you kept buying used drivers then they may have possibly had the same exposure. If not, I don't know, but I know what you're going through!

Thank you all to responded.

Part of it has got to be the quality of the drivers. Since I'm new to the game, I've been reluctant to spend the big bucks if I don't know how to properly use them. I've spend about $200 combined on the four drivers, so I guess I'm expecting too much from my cheapness.

With this new driver, I'm fairly certain that I was hitting it square, it'd hard to believe that it would go so far hitting it off the hosel, but i'm a noob, so severly lack knowledge in this area. The last driver I broke I used for a combined 2 hours. The face is also cracked, it's slightly offset, and where it's offset it is cracked. Hopefully a picture will help. After I broke my last club, one of the pros came and wathced me swing a few times with his driver. He questioned the quality of the drivers, and noted that I swing the club *very fast*, and that, combined with the quality, or lack there of, is probably the reason I've broken so many. I'll look into lessons so I can hit the ball dead center more often, not just sorta center.

Last edited by daveh55; 05-01-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Buy a better brand. If they are all breaking at that point the manufacturer is prob. damaging the shaft during installation or using garbage shafts. I have a 118mph driver swing speed and have never damaged a driver. You could always buy new from a shop, then they will replace it if you do it again.

Thread Information