|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

new clubs on the range

i recently got new clubs on christmas (in my sig), and will start using them this week...i'm a relatively new golfer who started last summer, but mostly played on par-3 courses...didn't shoot very well, but that's for another topic, lol

i'll start out on the range tomorrow...now, should i start using my clubs on mats or grass? i only used mats last year, but i admit, i didn't really take my golf too seriously then, but after getting my own set i decided to try a little harder this year..

since i'll probably start playing on par-3 courses for the first while, i figured i'd just start on grass already because i wanted to work on my irons, specifically hitting down on the ball, and you can't really do that on mats...and i don't find those rubber tees to be all that reliable when practicing with my old driver either...i think i'd be more comfortable using actual tees...

but then maybe i should start off with mat and get familiar with my swing again, then try the grass in a week or two?

and is there anything i should keep in mind once i do start practicing on grass? in terms of maintenance?

thanks
    Beginner Golfer

Driver: Nike Ignite 460
    Fairway Woods: Nike Ignite T60 3-wood
    Irons: Nike NDS 3-PW
    Putter: Nike BC-002 Mid-Mallet
    Bag: Wilson Reflex

Stay off the mats unless you plan on bringing a portable mat with you on the course! The only way to get a true feel for your clubs and learn how to correctly hit the ball is on grass. Mats have a tendence to fix a lot of swing flaws and do not provide the true impact of shots hit fat or when hit cleanly with a nice divot. The only time I use mats is in the winter when my grass range is closed. I only work on keeping my muscles in check and my standard swing in check so I don't lose the basics.

Have fun with the new clubs!

I am anti-mats. I never use them anymore and if I were to I would never use my irons again. I take divots, mats don't give up divots. My practice routine is to take my bag over to the grass as far away from anyone else as I can get. I distribute my clubs in 4 areas. Driver and 3wood with a handful of tees, 5w, 23* and 5i, 6i-9i, then PW, GW and SW. I take 2 buckets of balls and put some around each group of clubs. I'll basically just play my home course in my mind, moving from Driver to 8i or 3w to 6or 7i. Anyway, I have a towel on my bag as well as a brush that has wire and plastic? bristles. I'll clean the clubs and hit the grooves when needed. When I get home I have a pail I put warm water and a little dish soap in. I clean the clubs with a soft scrub brush and sponge then wipe them down with a hand towel.

MPKelley is right. You don't get to play off mats during a round so why practice on them. Hitting off grass might be a little frustrating since you are fairly new to the game, but stick with it. It'll pay off big time because you'll learn how to hit off the grass and how the club reacts off both good and bad shots which will help you adjust swing flaws during a round.

I like hitting off the grass but I hate seeing hackers hacking up grass tees boxes. Chances are, unless you belong to a country club, you probably don't have access to grass ranges. If you hit off the mat with forged irons, get them checked often as the lie maybe bent by repeated hitting the mat.

thanks for the help

is there anything else i should know before practicing on grass? other than replacing divots and collecting broken tees, i'm assuming? how many tees should i bring for about a medium bucket?

sorry for the dumb questions...i just don't want to do anything out of ordinary
    Beginner Golfer

what do you need tees for when you're hitting irons on grass? learn to hit them without tees.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    thanks for the help

is there anything else i should know before practicing on grass? other than replacing divots and collecting broken tees, i'm assuming? how many tees should i bring for about a medium bucket?

sorry for the dumb questions...i just don't want to do anything out of ordinary
    I usually run through a half dozen hitting 40-50 balls. Once I break a full one with the driver I use it for the 3w. I buy them in bulk so I could care less. The range I go to has 50 or so mat stalls and a 200 yd. strip of grass area you can go 30-40yds. up or back. The balls are mostly beat to crap but at $20 for 5 lg. bucket tokens who can complain? I usually "donate" a dozen or so course found balls every time anyhow. I suppose etiquitte depends on the place you are at. This range is an old pasture so leaving a crapload of divots is pretty much commonplace. The next guy will just hit from 10ft. in front or behind where I was.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra76
    I distribute my clubs in 4 areas. Driver and 3wood with a handful of tees, 5w, 23* and 5i, 6i-9i, then PW, GW and SW. I take 2 buckets of balls and put some around each group of clubs. I'll basically just play my home course in my mind, moving from Driver to 8i or 3w to 6or 7i.
    Sorry dude, but this is pretty lame. If I saw you on the range with your piles of clubs and balls, I'd point and laugh.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    Sorry dude, but this is pretty lame. If I saw you on the range with your piles of clubs and balls, I'd point and laugh.
    And I would really give a shiznit. Besides if it got personal I'd either biotchslap you or if you were too big I'd follow you and pull a hit and run with my 2500 Diesel. Nice to meet you BTW.

It would not be personal, don't worry. I would be laughing from a distance.

It would not be personal, don't worry. I would be laughing from a distance.
    Hopefully a distance I could reach with a knockdown 7i.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra76
    Hopefully a distance I could reach with a knockdown 7i.
    Depends which pile you're hitting from.

Depends which pile you're hitting from.
    I could pretty much "Spank" one from any pile.

Starting off

Learning on a par 3 is ABSOLUTELY the way to go. Learn from the green back. Once you get comfortable pitching onto a green and putting, pull out the mid irons a hit onto a green, keep this up back through the set to your driver. At the range stay away from the mats, even when just hitting your driver. Those plastic hose tees are too short for today's drivers, and you would NEVER tee a ball that low unless you were using a pre-year 2000 driver. Tee it in grass at your normal tee height, and don't over do it...I find playing a round (with no mulligans) is the best way to practice.

How exactly is he supposed to "start from the green". Most Par 3's around me usually want me to t-off at the Tee boxes and end with my ball in the hole(I guess people from my city golf differently). I think it is best to just learn by playing, practicing a little around the practices green before and after, and watching the golf channel. And I wouldn't reccomend playing at anything other than a Par 3 until you break 40 consistently or you can consistently hit a shot 150 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
    How exactly is he supposed to "start from the green". Most Par 3's around me usually want me to t-off at the Tee boxes and end with my ball in the hole(I guess people from my city golf differently). I think it is best to just learn by playing, practicing a little around the practices green before and after, and watching the golf channel. And I wouldn't reccomend playing at anything other than a Par 3 until you break 40 consistently or you can consistently hit a shot 150 or more.
    so i should stick to par-3s until i reach 14-under? i think i have a lot of work to do

i think i'd be embarassed to post my average score on the par-3 courses last year

off to the range tomorrow
    Beginner Golfer

Thread Information