|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Sharpening Grooves

Hey, I Was Just Wondering If You Guys Have Any Tips On Sharpening Your Grooves? What Tools/Methods You Use..If YouDo It At All...Thanks

unless you have the money to replace irons if you mess them up, send them to someone who either knows what the hell they are doing or has done them with some sort of success. I have never done it before, but I hear its no joke and not easy.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

At the risk of stating the obvious.... Flaxseed oil?

As soon as I saw LC3 was the last to post in this thread I knew his reply was going to be flaxseed oil..wow..this stuff must be magic..

hahahaha LMAO
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Magic indeed.

I picked up a 50* zuno GW about a month ago and the face was peeling chrome and beat to hell. I hit the grooves with a small file and they will peel the cover off the ball now. I wouldn't recommend it with expensive irons though. Sharp grooves are overrated anyway, spin comes from the strike.

So you could have very little, or no grooves and the spin would be just as good as long as you hit down more sharply? You might want to rethink your appoach a bit. Grooves have quite a bit to do with the spin of the ball. Why would they limit the type/width of the groove is it didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    So you could have very little, or no grooves and the spin would be just as good as long as you hit down more sharply? You might want to rethink your appoach a bit. Grooves have quite a bit to do with the spin of the ball. Why would they limit the type/width of the groove is it didn't?
    Grooves are more for clearing the crap out the way ie: Sand and grass before the ball. The reason they are making a big deal out of them nowadays is the PGA guys hitting greens out of the rough like nothing. Sharp grooves will not affect spin as much as a lot of people think, it's the strike. My 54* has grooves 2yrs old and spins more (loft) than the 50* I have to be careful not to cut my finger on.

Flaxseed oil, where can i pick that up? Well im not doing them on my irons, they are fine. I'm trying to bring my 60 degree back to life, ive had it for 2 years...the rac black. I have the same in a 54 degree loft and the condition is incredible, probably because i use to practice outta the sand with the 60. I have nothing to lose by ruining it by amateur groove sharpening haha. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny10
    Flaxseed oil, where can i pick that up? Well im not doing them on my irons, they are fine. I'm trying to bring my 60 degree back to life, ive had it for 2 years...the rac black. I have the same in a 54 degree loft and the condition is incredible, probably because i use to practice outta the sand with the 60. I have nothing to lose by ruining it by amateur groove sharpening haha. Any other suggestions?
    I hope you're not actually falling for the flaxseed.... Anyway if you want to try the file, it works. I am actually not as amatuer as I sound. I worked in the finishing dept. of a casting factory for 2yrs. when I was younger. I picked up a set of small metalfinishing files. The one I used was tiangular and fit perfect into the grooves. I only went from forward to back maybe 3-4 times per groove. Sharpened them right up. If they are any wider now it's prob. less than a thousanth of an inch. I don't know the actual specs. but most grooves look to be about 20 thousanths.

Golfsmith sells an inexpensive tool which restores grooves and is reusable. It won't sharpen anything, but it will restore the grooves to close to new. Actually, it does sharpen the edges a little, because balls tend to get shredded for a while after using it.

Go to the GS site and check it out. Order one. Keep it for life.

Or of course flaxseed oil.

Thread Information