|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A serious question about the Hi-bore

I am not 100% sure if a serious Hi-bore question can even be accomplished, but being the risk taker I am, here goes nothing.

Does the hi-bore have a square face, or is it a degree or 2 closed?

I cannot find any info on the stupid Cleveland site, and looking at the damn club I cant tell for sure.

So there we go, a real question. Long live flaxseed oil and the 350 yard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG

The same answer as what does a bear eat for dinner. Whatever it wants!!
    Who are you to question whether the HiBore is "right" for you? Do you know why more tour pro's aren't playing the HiBore? Because it won't let them. They don't meet the HiBore's high standards.
    If you pass the performance requirements, I say get one, closed face or not. Just remember to get iron covers for the rest of your clubs. That HiBore can get pretty territorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    The same answer as what does a bear eat for dinner. Whatever it wants!!
    Who are you to question whether the HiBore is "right" for you? Do you know why more tour pro's aren't playing the HiBore? Because it won't let them. They don't meet the HiBore's high standards.
    If you pass the performance requirements, I say get one, closed face or not. Just remember to get iron covers for the rest of your clubs. That HiBore can get pretty territorial.
    Horseballs is right. The best advice I can offer is to continue practicing hard with every free moment you have, and the HiBORE will contact you when you're ready.

I played with a guy who had one yesterday. I think it was 1* closed as it looked a lot like the R7 at adress. BTW this driver is not that good. Three of us, including myself, had the R7 400cc. We all took turns having the longest drive depending on the trajectoy required for the hole. Longest R7 drives were a good 15 yds. longer than the Hibore,(275-GR factor = 215), with swing speeds not a whole lot faster. I saw a lot of push slices out of the Hibore and this guy hit very good irons and had about a 5-10yd. draw on his good drives. He had the best swing out of the group and had trouble controlling the Hibore. I was not impressed by it at all. BTW, you were right about the Speeder. I would like your opinion of it as I will be swapping shafts from my stock rather than blowing another $300 on a new driver.

That's weird I was taking out tree branches at the range today with the HiBore, the same branches I hit with the R5. After some practice with it, it's just as long but easier to control for me over the R5.

Ezra's swing is probably just too powerful for (even) the HiBore.

You're speaking nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by Discopotato
    That's weird I was taking out tree branches at the range today with the HiBore, the same branches I hit with the R5. After some practice with it, it's just as long but easier to control for me over the R5.
    I kind of expected the Hibore to offer more length and forgiveness. I realize this was not exactly a fair test but this guy was hitting the best irons and every other club in the group. His swing was not quite as fast as myself or the other kid my age and hght. but also not a whole lot slower. I guess I just expected to see more out of it. If they are advertising it as a "forgiving driver" I'd have to question that. The guy who had it was prob. a 12-15 handicap and hitting it all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I am not 100% sure if a serious Hi-bore question can even be accomplished, but being the risk taker I am, here goes nothing.

I cannot find any info on the stupid Cleveland site, and looking at the damn club I cant tell for sure.

So there we go, a real question. Long live flaxseed oil and the 350 yard drive.
    I hit it at our local range and I thought the face was pretty nuetral.

I hit a couple of pretty good drives (for me) but I don't think I would get a lot more out of it than I get out of my current Launcher. However the kid that works there (who is a scratch golfer) was just raving about the distance he gets out of it due to the lower spin rate and can't wait to put one in his bag.

He then demoéd it to me and smacked a few balls out of sight!

If I buy another driver this year, it'll be the HiBore but I too am not sure of its specs. What is the official spec?

Can't help you there, I apologize for all these moronic haters that want to use this site for preaching instead of helping other golfers make sound decisions about equipment. I just got my HiBore today. I went into New York Golf with NO preconcieved notions of what driver I was going to get. I was using the Cobra 460sz - it was okay, but the face was closed @.03 degrees. It also had a heel biased weighting. I fight a hook and rareley slice - so this was just not the club for me.

Anyway, I got on the launch monitor and had the pro cover the heads of several clubs HE thought would work for me with masking tape so I wouldn't have a clear idea of what I was hitting. After I warmed up with my old driver and he took readings of spin, carry, etc. - he started handing me clubs from different manufacturers in different lofts and shaft flexes.
    After an hour we had it narrowed down to the HiBore, the Sasquatch, Callaway X, and the R7 HT. After hitting stock and secialty shafts it was narrowed down to the Sasquatch 10.5 with the Diamana R flex shaft, and the HiBore 10.5 with the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue R.
    These were NOT the clubs I was hoping he'd suggest. ( I was rooting for the R7) Guess what? I hit the HiBore an average of 10-15 yards farther than the next closet club. BUT THAT WAS ME. You might hit a driver you never thought of 15 yards past the HiBore. Get fit for your driver. There is NOTHING better you can do when buying new clubs. Its a pain in the ass, but it works wonders. I even got fit this way with my fairway, I went in wanting to buy an R7 3-wood and walked out with the Callaway X 5-wood!. Same for hybrids, I went in wanting T.M v-steels in a five wood and seven wood, and walked out with Cleveland HALOs 3 and 4 rescues. I hit these rescues so well that maybe thats why the HiBores looks didn't turn me off.
    GOOD LUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner
    I apologize for all these moronic haters that want to use this site for preaching instead of helping other golfers make sound decisions about equipment.
    Same for hybrids, I went in wanting T.M v-steels in a five wood and seven wood, and walked out with Cleveland HALOs 3 and 4 rescues. I hit these rescues so well that maybe thats why the HiBores looks didn't turn me off.
    GOOD LUCK.
    Nice post Bladerunner. Makes a lot of sense.

I also carry the 3 & 4 Halo's. Just curious what shafts you have? Did you go through the same fitting process to choose these? i.e. trying different makes/models with different shafts?

I just bought one on eBay - HiBore, ProLaunch 65, stiff with 10.5 loft. Rather than doing a fitting on a launch monitor, I just buy alot of different clubs and play them. For some reason, when I'm on the launch monitor, I don't swing naturally. I'm more focusd on a golf course.....and then I check my driving distance with a Skycaddie.

I have the stock R graphite shafts, I wanted steel until I saw I was hitting these 20 yards farther. I was hitting the steel HALO 4 about 160 - I hit the graphite 180! I hit the 3 about 195.

Thread Information