|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mizuno MX23 Rusting

I've been shopping for a new set of irons for the last 2 years. Finally tried and fell in love with the new Mizuno MX23s. I was so happy with them until early last week. I've only had them for 3 weeks now and I already started to notice rust developing on sone of the faces of the club heads. I was so discouraged! I'm extremely speechless! I don't know what to think! Is this normal? I've been reading some threads that suggest that forged clubs have to be really taken care of in order to avoid them rusting. If this is the case I think I might just be regretting my decision. I didn't buy these clubs to spend 2 hours after each round making sure they are bone dry, and heaven forbid I forget to dry them, they start to rust. Now I'm rading that not only does forge rust but it also gets banged up much easier if not taken care of. I don't weant to have to be afraid to hit my clubs. I purchased this clubs to last me a while. If being able to keeped for many years involves spending 2 hours cleaning them and being afraid to hit them, I don't want them! Any opnions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

P.S Yes, I do use head covers. The sales rep. suggetsed them, saying it would prolong the life of the clubs.

Hi Peter,

Your clubs rusting, while discouraging, is normal from what I’ve read. Forged clubs do require more care and attention than cast clubs. Depending on what kind if head covers you're using, they may actually aggravate the issue; if they’re put on while the club is wet, they can trap moisture and facilitate rust. As much as you’ve invested though, it may be a necessary evil to keep them looking good to take some extra time after a round. I usually keep an extra towel in the trunk to dry off my clubs…just a thought here.

On a related note…I’m curious to know which shaft you have in your set? I’m strongly considering the MX-23’s (I think they’re the best on the market!) and my club fitter is pushing me toward Dynamic Gold S-300’s. How is your ball flight? How do you like them other than the rusting issue?

Many thanks and all the best!

i also bought mx-23 recently but so far no rust. I don;t use head covers as mizuno says they will promote rusting....

From their website:
    My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club. Is this normal?
    Yes, rust can happen. Forged heads are made of a mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting balls you scratch the surface of the chrome which can eventually expose the raw steel to moisture and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40 and clean with a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with a high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust.

Anyways, they are simply amazing to play with so I guess some special care is worth it!

BTW, I am from Hong Kong and I bought mine with NS PRO 950GH steel shaft. Ball flight is medium. I gained 1 club compared to my X-14.

I've had my MX-23's about a month now and love them. No rust showing up yet and I do use soft neoprene headcovers...played in some wet weather too, but didn't do anything special with them when I got done. I might just give the inside of the headcovers a good spraying with WD40 or something so everytime I put the cover on, they get a light coat of oil. Also got a nylon brush instead of the brass bristle brush I used to have. Consistancy is great, mishits penalize slightly in distance but stay on line well. Ball flight is mid-high for me with the reg Dynalite gold shafts. You hit solid shots with these and you just marvel at the feel. Distance-wise they're about the same as my old Hogan's, but less than my Orlimar Tri-Metals w/graphite shafts, but that's to be expected with steel vs. graphite....
    Digs

Yeah it's funny how iron covers especially the neoprene ones trap moisture... it'll keep your sticks from getting dings but it will exacerbate the rusting problem.

One thing to note is that clus will show wear (dings, rust, scratches) but they don't affect playability too much unless you start to wear out the grooves on the sweet spot. I have had my MX-20s for about 2+ years now and I just have the lofts checked every so often. It has plenty of wear and a little bit of rust but they play as well as the day I bought them. I just wipe them clean after a shot or after the round, no extra care or anything and they're good to go for the next round. So if you care about the cosmetics of the club then take care of them. If you don't, rest assured that if you just keep the rust out of the club face they'll play fine for many years.

ytseflyer, I have Rifle 6.0s on mine. Mid-flight, plenty of feedback. Plus the stepless steel shafts look kewl.

Thread Information