|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Callaway FT Tour driver, any views

Hi

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Callaway FT Tour Driver. 10.5 Degree Aldila Voodoo Shaft 1.5 degree open face.

Any views

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I've used the FT-9, not the tour version. One of the most forgiving drivers i have ever hit. huge sweet spot, but was a little hard to know where you actually hit it on the face. Not too bad looking at address, a little elongated but not too bad. Really liked the muted composite sound. Mine had a stock fuji Ozik? 60 gram stiff in it and did not suit me too well. I'm not sure if it was the shaft but the main problem with this driver was keeping it down. Mine was a 9.5 but it went just too damn high. Good for carry but i play in windy conditions often. This does not surprise me as Callaway are famous for being high flying heads (lofts are often higher than stated) and softer tipped shafts. Overall a solid driver, easy to hit, not particularly workable, length was good but ballflight was not what I wanted.

I have a genuine, not a made for, Voodoo SVS6 in my titty 905r and it a VERY good shaft.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I hit one the other day in the nets. I was demoing the 7 Quad and wanted to hit something newer to compare it to. Obviously couldn't see th flight in a net but it felt pretty good and was consistently solid off the face. It didn't feel as conrolled as the R7 but was probably a little hotter off the face. I could imagine the FT Tour being pretty long on the course, but not sure about the accuracy with the shaft it had in the one I hit (fubuki 60 stiff from memory), the Voodoo would probably be a bit better.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Callaway FT Tour Driver. 10.5 Degree Aldila Voodoo Shaft 1.5 degree open face.

Any views

Edgey
    Greetings from North Carolina vacation week. Shot an 82 today at Oak Island Golf Club if anyone wants to take a look.

Anyway - I tried this club recently at a demo day along side my Big Bertha2004 as well as the Callaway Diablo Edge Tour driver. Loved them both but went with the titanium Diablo Tour. Just preferred the sound of the Diablo over the FT Tour. But thats a personal decision.....

Both clubs are awesome IMO - you cant go wrong. The FT Tour is more $$$ so if that isnt a worry then go for it. I am loving my Diablo. Hit it straight and long all day today.

Good luck!
    Helmet

"I am loving my Diablo. Hit it straight and long all day today."

I tried that driver at a Callaway demo day just last week. I was getting some really good ball speed and launch angle numbers with it but that stock shaft I question. Did you stick with the Habanero or go with something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    "I am loving my Diablo. Hit it straight and long all day today."

I tried that driver at a Callaway demo day just last week. I was getting some really good ball speed and launch angle numbers with it but that stock shaft I question. Did you stick with the Habanero or go with something else?
    I went into the demo day thinking I would have to get the Grafalloy ProLaunch Red shaft but after hitting the stock Aldila Habanero I found that not to be the case. I am getting great results with the stock offering. S flex. My SS is just under 100mph, ball speed is right around 135 and launch angle is roughly 17 degrees (too high I know). But the results on the course are just fine with me.

I was trying it in an X flex and was happy with the simulator results but on that particular monitor, I couldn't see spin rate. Big red flag. That shaft is the second highest spin shaft Aldila makes. Either that's a super low spin head and it needs a higher spin shaft to counter-balance it or it makes its own spin numbers up and just doesn't tell you. Ball spin numbers were around 163, and on swing speed alone those numbers were feasible. I think my smash factor was around 1.42/1.43?

I wanted to take it for a demo out on the course but naturally they don't make a demo version in that flex so I was out of luck. A stiff shaft with that soft of a tip I know just wouldn't work, I'd hit balloons that go further left than my current miss is.

Thread Information