|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Precision Rifle 5.5 ?

Precision Rifle 5.5 flex...for forged CB iron set: is that about right for a duffer that hits his 5-iron about 160~170 yards. I've been told, by my pro fitter, that my siwng's on the fast end of Regualar flex. I'm more concerned about accuracy and height --so the ball will "sit"-- with long irons, than being concerned about distances (but sure, I'll take more)
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I have Rifle 6.0 shafts in my old Hogans's and they played slightly stiffer than my current s300's. I believe the 5.5's are close to a standard stiff shaft. If you fitter has put you on the high end of the regular flex range than you proababaly would be a good fit for the 5.5. However, the stiffer flext may make your ball flight a little lower so If you need height, you should look into a lighter shaft like the Nippon (although the Rifle's are pretty light) or consider the 5.0 (regular flex).

Having a shaft that is too stiff can be really bad when dealing with graphite but steel shafts are a little more forgiving. Slower swing speeds with stiffer steel shafts are not penalized as much as a missed shot with a stiffer graphite shaft with the same swing.

Has your fitter put you on a launch monitor or can you take out some demos to a range?

launch monitored

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20
    I have Rifle 6.0 shafts in my old Hogans's and they played slightly stiffer than my current s300's. I believe the 5.5's are close to a standard stiff shaft. If you fitter has put you on the high end of the regular flex range than you proababaly would be a good fit for the 5.5. However, the stiffer flext may make your ball flight a little lower so If you need height, you should look into a lighter shaft like the Nippon (although the Rifle's are pretty light) or consider the 5.0 (regular flesx).

Having a shaft that is too stiff can be really bad when dealing with graphite but steel shafts are a little more forgiving. Slower swing speeds with stiffer steel shafts are not penalized as much as a missed shot with a stiffer graphite shaft with the same swing.

Has your fitter put you on a launch monitor or can you take out some demos to a range?
    thanks, yes I spent a hour at a outdoor range (on astro turf mat), swing various Titleist 6-irons with steel shafts with a neat little radar monitor. Conclusion then was to buy forged CBs in True Temper Dynamic Gold SL (109g) S300s, but with experience now I think flex may be more important to hit long irons high (Jack Nickalus (sp?) wrote that as much, in his book). I had bought DGS300s...great for short irons, but too boring for 190 yard 3-iron shots..landing on the roughs next to the greens was np with the taller grass, but would skip off the greens.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    thanks, yes I spent a hour at a outdoor range (on astro turf mat), swing various Titleist 6-irons with steel shafts with a neat little radar monitor. Conclusion then was to buy forged CBs in True Temper Dynamic Gold SL (109g) S300s, but with experience now I think flex may be more important to hit long irons high (Jack Nickalus (sp?) wrote that as much, in his book). I had bought DGS300s...great for short irons, but too boring for 190 yard 3-iron shots..landing on the roughs next to the greens was np with the taller grass, but would skip off the greens.
    I'm just happy when I actually hit a 3 iron solid. If I can stop it on the green with some bite, that is just an added bonus! I have a high ball flight normally for most of my clubs so spin has never been a problems for me unless I was looking for roll off a long iron tee shot. I watch people like Phil Mickleson hit 2 and 3 irons with so much height that the ball drops and stops dead and it completely amazes me.

The s300's are a little heavier than the Rifle's so that is why you were seeing lower flights. It sounds like the ligher shafts will fit you much better. Have you tried the Nippon shafts? Those are as close to graphite weight as you can get in steel but still performs like steel. Although I haven't been able to find a left handed model of any club to try with this shaft, I have played around with RH clubs with the shaft and compared it to the s300. It was amazing how much lighter it was. All I could feel was the clubhead! I assume I would end up hitting skyscraper shots with those shafts!

I'm just happy when I actually hit a 3 iron solid. If I can stop it on the green with some bite, that is just an added bonus! I have a high ball flight normally for most of my clubs so spin has never been a problems for me unless I was looking for roll off a long iron tee shot. I watch people like Phil Mickleson hit 2 and 3 irons with so much height that the ball drops and stops dead and it completely amazes me.

The s300's are a little heavier than the Rifle's so that is why you were seeing lower flights. It sounds like the ligher shafts will fit you much better. Have you tried the Nippon shafts? Those are as close to graphite weight as you can get in steel but still performs like steel. Although I haven't been able to find a left handed model of any club to try with this shaft, I have played around with RH clubs with the shaft and compared it to the s300. It was amazing how much lighter it was. All I could feel was the clubhead! I assume I would end up hitting skyscraper shots with those shafts!
    yes well i have selective golf memory...i don't "remember" my miffed 3-iron shots (which is more than 40% of my 3-iron attempts, on a course).

I think I'll pass on them Precision Rifle 5.5s and continue to look for NS Pro 950 Rs, TT DG SL R300s, or Precision Flighted Rifle 5.0s.

While I know that "short game" is what's going to lower my score, right now I'm focused on getting more GIR with a solid contact with driver then a decent iron shot (shots on Par 5s) on to the green...

I will play a pitch-and-putt course once a week night (in addition to a full course on a weekend)
    Last edited by ironman; 05-11-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Work on your game, and stop worrying about iron shafts. You'll benefit more from some hard practice and a couple lessons than you will from changing your iron shafts.

I think what people fail to realize is that equipment will help you only when you have a solid repeatable swing.

And FYI, I play DGS300 shafts, and I've never had a problem sticking a 3-iron on the green. Maybe, just maybe, its your swing.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    Work on your game, and stop worrying about iron shafts. You'll benefit more from some hard practice and a couple lessons than you will from changing your iron shafts.

I think what people fail to realize is that equipment will help you only when you have a solid repeatable swing.

And FYI, I play DGS300 shafts, and I've never had a problem sticking a 3-iron on the green. Maybe, just maybe, its your swing.
    of course it's my swing, duuuhh!

obviously: "...equipment will help you only when you have a solid repeatable swing..."

i've already sold my 670 iron set so i have to buy another set, hence i might as well buy what suits me. it's not "worrying" it's just shopping (this time around)..with advice from my teaching pro and a retired big shot pro's book (Jack Nickaluswhatever)

The Nippons or the SL's would be great for you. I'd steer clear of rifles as I don't think you'll find them as forgiving to YOUR swing.

What heads are you settling on btw?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

The s300's are a little heavier than the Rifle's so that is why you were seeing lower flights.
    Not only are the Dynamic Golds a bit heavier than the Rifles, but they have a higher kickpoint as well, which may further lower the trajectory with the DG's.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    The Nippons or the SL's would be great for you. I'd steer clear of rifles as I don't think you'll find them as forgiving to YOUR swing.

What heads are you settling on btw?
    something:
    1. forged,
    2. with cavity back (that has duffers in mind, playing to bogie to double bogie level)
    3.is not made in china (prc),
    4. still has current offerings just in case i lose a stick (have lost two already, leaving on a green after a twilight game) or get crazy and want buy a 2-iron (as if my 3-iron swing isn't humilating enough already)

so that rules out Callaway's Ben Hogan Apex Edges (chinese made)

I'm shopping for, in order of preference:
    Miura CBs,
    KZG II-Ms,
    Mizuno MX-23s,
    Titleist something (but kind of creepy how quickly they've changed their iron line up within one year),
    Srixon i501 (seems to be made for real golfers)
    ..and will consider any forged CBs someone recommends.

I think Miura makes TalorMade's forged irons, but I don't know if TM offers forged CBs.

why forged? just a personal preference, that is all.

Thread Information