|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Callaway HX Hot vs. HX Pearl

As of right now I am playing the Callaway Warbird, bu these balls barely make it through a round the way the cover gets damaged so easily. I have decided to switch balls. I recently tried the HX Hot and found it to be a great improvement from the warbird. After playing the warbird for so long I was hoping to get a softer ball. The HX Hot is definitely softer but it is still quite hard. I am to poor to buy the HX Tour's. however I was on the Callaway website and noticed that the HX Pearl and the HX Hot had the pretty much the same specs. Now to my question, I was wondering if anyone has played both of these balls and could shed a little light on the subject. My swing speed tops out around 89. I am more of a touch player than the grip it and rip it type. So I might actually benefit from the HX Pearl though it would be a shot to my ego playing a ladys ball. Is the HX Pearl any softer or should I stick with The HX Hot?
    Driver: Callaway 10° X460 Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Fairway Wood: Callaway X Wood 15° Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Hybrid: Callaway X 21° Uniflex Steel
    Irons: Callaway X-18's 4-PW Uniflex Steel
    Wedges: Callaway X Tour Wedges 50°, 56°, 60°PM
    Putter: 32.5" Callaway BJ2
    Ball: Callaway Big Bertha Blue or HX Tour

I Choose: To Be Better! Callaway A Better Game By Design!

I am wondering the same thing, I played the HX Hot all last summer (@15 rounds). It is by far the longest ball I have ever hit. My swing speed runs 87-93 mph, and I've hit this ball 280 all carry. I've driven a 300 par 4 twice with it. If you check out Today's Golfer (British magazine) April Issue - they conducted a ball test. The HX-Hot had MORE spin off a wedge than the HX-Tour and Tour-59!!!! I couldn't believe it. Where it did not spin as much was half-swing wedge shots and flops - that is where urethane covers shine. The Warbird had even more spin off of the PW than the above 3 balls!!! Check out this issue - its eye opening.

Anyway - this summer I started playing the Bridgestone e6. I will only play 3-piece balls, with seamless covers if possible. (That means Callaway or Bridgestone) 3-piece balls offer awesome feel, and low spin off the driver, and prices are just right. The e6 costs as much as the HX-Hot.($24.99) It also has a seamless dimple pattern like the HX-Hot - also very important to me. This ball is TWICE as soft as the Hot, spins better around the greens, and putts like a dream. The ONLY difference is MAYBE the e6 is a little shorter on drives (not irons).

Which leads to the question of the HX-Pearl...The only difference I can gather between the Pearl and Hot is the cover thickness. The Pearl has a thinner cover - and is supposedly softer feeling. Being that it has the same inner cover and core, I'm hoping it has the length of the HX-Hot with a softer feel. If that is the case, I will switch from the e6 to the pearl. The Hot is too firm for my liking. The e6 is perfect but could be a little longer. If the Pearl has the softness of the e6 and the distance of the Hot, I will go out and buy 4 boxes. Yesterday I bought a box (which the salesman at Dick's made a face and said it was a chick ball) DON't CARE. That didn't stop men from playing the Precepts. I will probably take them out for a round against the e6's to make my final decision for the '06 season.

Thread Information